The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Armamike on August 30, 2015, 10:59:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 30, 2015, 10:52:16 PM
Decent panel on the programme tonight and it was fairly balanced. However McStay claiming that McMahon tripped Boyle for the Mayo penalty was clearly nonsense that shouldn't have gone unchallenged. Also how can Whelan presume that Connolly has a chance of getting the red card rescinded. For me it is black and white. It was a clear punch/striking action to a man on the ground that got what he deserved.

Clear penalty.  McMahon stuck the leg out and the player went over it. No question imo.

dont you love this place. It was 50-50 at best. He lunged forward looking for a penalty. McMahons leg had nothing to do with him going down but its handy for reverse engineering a reason.

Dublins penalty should have also been a black card for a trip - the same offence that got dublin a black. Ref was awful today.

yellowcard

I was delighted to see McQuillan give Mayo the penalty but imo it was never a penalty. Boules only intention was to get to ground and he threw himself forward dramatically in an attempt to try and exaggerate a foul that didn't exist.

Canalman

Decent panel on the programme tonight and it was fairly balanced. However McStay claiming that McMahon tripped Boyle for the Mayo penalty was clearly nonsense that shouldn't have gone unchallenged. Also how can Whelan presume that Connolly has a chance of getting the red card rescinded. For me it is black and white. It was a clear punch/striking action to a man on the ground that got what he deserved.

Very simple really. Point to the Keane incident a few weeks ago. He got off. Ask why? Ask again. Keep asking why. Ask what the difference is between the two incidents.Ask again.
Personally reckon all "striking " offences now will be turned over until congress next year.

A right mess.

straightred

quick point about the black card. Very often it makes no difference. McAuley was due to come off soon anyway as he was never going to play the full 70. The card only hurried it up.

blanketattack

Connolly will definitely get off. Referees report will have it as striking, none of the TV angles showed definite contact, just attempted striking so he'll get off similarly to Lynch in 06.
They should amalgamate striking and attempted striking into the same offense so the ref can put down striking/attempted striking and then the offender has the disprove both.

yellowcard

Quote from: Canalman on August 30, 2015, 11:17:25 PM

Very simple really. Point to the Keane incident a few weeks ago. He got off. Ask why? Ask again. Keep asking why. Ask what the difference is between the two incidents.Ask again.
Personally reckon all "striking " offences now will be turned over until congress next year.

A right mess.

Keane should never have got off, agreed. On what basis was his suspension over turned?

Wildweasel74

Connolly struck with a closed fist on a prone man on the ground, Keane slapped Murphy openly with minor contact, i would say boths incidents are not of the same nature

blanketattack

How many photos will we see this week of the various incidents here trying to prove/disprove penalties, black cards, red cards and CCCC suspensions? I'm guessing 7.

Wildweasel74

The sunday game showed a close up from a reverse angle and Connolly def can be seen striking into keegan with a closed fist.

Canalman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 30, 2015, 11:21:59 PM
Connolly struck with a closed fist on a prone man on the ground, Keane slapped Murphy openly with minor contact, i would say boths incidents are not of the same nature

Mmmmmm. You could see that from the camera angle/ picture quality.

Mark my words, COC and DC will play next Saturday. Others or in particular another WILL be suspended.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 30, 2015, 11:23:47 PM
The sunday game showed a close up from a reverse angle and Connolly def can be seen striking into keegan with a closed fist.

Indeed, mc stays prostate twitched wildly when this shot was shown, he made sure he got his point across tonight

Welly Man

Striking and attempted striking carry exactly the same punishment, category 2 infraction, rule 5.1...so many 'experts' on here who havent the first clue what theyre talking about

straightred

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 30, 2015, 11:23:47 PM

Need to get a telly like yours - my poor samsung is obviously missing something

blanketattack

Quote from: Welly Man on August 30, 2015, 11:26:54 PM
Striking and attempted striking carry exactly the same punishment, category 2 infraction, rule 5.1...so many 'experts' on here who havent the first clue what theyre talking about

Yes but if the ref has striking down in his report and you prove attempted striking you'll get off and vice versa.

east down gael

Watching as a neutral who doesn't mind who makes the final as both will make for a great match,here's my take.

O'shea lucky not to get a black early on for dragging cluxton down,but it would have taken serious stones by mcquillan to send him off the field given his high profile and the media attention he has received this last week.
O'connor could have possibly received a yellow for catching o'carroll,but if you're holding a man when the ball is at the other end of the field,you can't expect him to just stand there.I genuinely don't believe what he did constituted striking.
Dublin penalty was technically outside the box but I think most refs would have gave it considering the pace Flynn was going at and where he fell.not sure even the mayo boys knew where the foul occurred.
O'sullivan should have got a black for playing the man off the ball,but not for the shirt pulling.
McMahon was lucky to stay on the pitch.looked a headbutt on first viewing to me,and still does.regardless of force.he also gave away the penalty,which was borderline but I'd probably have gave it.what annoyed me was the sly punch while Boyle was on the ground.
Michael darragh wasn't a foul never mind a black card.
Basticks was borderline,can see why he gave it,but how sure can he be it was deliberate?
Connolly struck,this talk of whether he connected or not is ridiculous.straight red.that said,I think he will play Saturday.
The cooper incident near the start of the game was deliberate,no doubt in my mind and he's very lucky he got a yellow for it and won't get sanctioned.