The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2014, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on September 26, 2014, 11:41:20 AM
I often wonder is the could give the option where you could choose the option where there was no commentary just the sound of the crowd.  At half time it would go back to the studio where panelists would discuss the game any contentious issues.  Would people choose that? 

That said, I'd miss Michael Diegnan on hurling.

For the Irish speakers out there, what is the quality of the commentary on TG4?  It seems to be less full of sh*te/filler (maybe because I only under stand half on it).  I wonder could the be given a go on TSG?
Tg4 and RnaG cater to a different audience who are already bilingual so they can take in more info and there tends to be less waffle. RTE has to have something for everyone because it is a much bigger audience.

They still talk in just as many banal generalities. Or in Sean Ban's case Pat Spillane-esque arseology. Knowing a second language doesn't increase anyone's ability to analyse or commentate on a sport. Michael O'Muir was good because he was simply an excellent commentator with a distinctive style, not because he could throw a few gaelic words in.

5 Sams

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2014, 08:45:21 PM
I often wonder is the could give the option where you could choose the option where there was no commentary just the sound of the crowd.  At half time it would go back to the studio where panelists would discuss the game any contentious issues.  Would people choose that? 

For the Irish speakers out there, what is the quality of the commentary on TG4?  It seems to be less full of sh*te/filler (maybe because I only under stand half on it).  I wonder could the be given a go on TSG?
Tg4 and RnaG cater to a different audience who are already bilingual so they can take in more info and there tends to be less waffle. RTE has to have something for everyone because it is a much bigger audience.

They still talk in just as many banal generalities. Or in Sean Ban's case Pat Spillane-esque arseology. Knowing a second language doesn't increase anyone's ability to analyse or commentate on a sport. Michael O'Muir was good because he was simply an excellent commentator with a distinctive style, not because he could throw a few gaelic words in.
Micheál Ó Sé used to do the minor commentary on RTE. No messing, no bullshit, just described what he saw. But if you had no Irish you were goosed...no sub titles....but he was top class.....plus he has 2 AI medals ;D
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 26, 2014, 09:00:07 PM

Micheál Ó Sé used to do the minor commentary on RTE. No messing, no bullshit, just described what he saw. But if you had no Irish you were goosed...no sub titles....but he was top class.....plus he has 2 AI medals ;D
The language is much richer. They don't have to dumb down like in the bearla. Irish is a class thing even though a lot of people look down on it. It's a funny old world.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Duignan is good alright but I don't think he has ever seen a foul in a hurling game, a player could be decapitated and Michael would think say he thought it was a fair challenge  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 26, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

Duignan is good alright but I don't think he has ever seen a foul in a hurling game, a player could be decapitated and Michael would think say he thought it was a fair challenge  ;D
Duignan is a real pro alright. He has a very good eye and he communicates well. His biography was very good.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2014, 09:09:52 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 26, 2014, 09:00:07 PM

The language is much richer. They don't have to dumb down like in the bearla. Irish is a class thing even though a lot of people look down on it. It's a funny old world.
Apart from Seán Bán Biased Gaillimheach  Seó Spóirt is the only adult GAA programme on an Irish TV Channel.
The TG4 commentators are really top class but please leave son of Rossie man Coman Goggins at home from now on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Asal Mor

I thought the Sunday game highlights show yesterday was excellent, and some of the exchanges between Donal Og, Liam Sheedy, Ger, Mick Kavanagh and Cyril were hilarious(someone should show it to Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and the other excruciating pundits on MOTD by the way). Des was back to his wisecracking best too. I thought Donal Og's analysis of the spare arm tackle was very good and Klikenny clearly do it better than anyone else. Eddie Brennan mentioned Kilkenny's poor record in games where Barry Kelly was the ref but that's more to do with his stricter approach than an anti-Kilkenny bias. They benefitted from Brian Gavin's lenient style. Someone on here (maybe AZ or johnneycool) called it before the final, that it would probably be determined by how it was reffed, with a more lenient ref suiting Kilkenny.

Captain Obvious

From the Bunker

Good to see the three boys back!

maigheo

An insult to the three boys in the above picture to be compared to the SG panelists

From the Bunker

Martin Carney on co-commentary. And especially with Donegal playing. Time to switch over to the BBC!

Brick Tamlin

Somebody please wipe the lens

Line Ball

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 17, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
Martin Carney on co-commentary. And especially with Donegal playing. Time to switch over to the BBC!

10 times worse on BBC

screenexile

BBC twice the coverage with Niblock on commentary!!

Puckoon

Christ, now it was raining in Ballybofey because the Lord above is not a great fan of this defensive football!