The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keane

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 21, 2014, 10:59:13 PM
Dublin hammered all before them from the league semi and just pushed out by a  great donegal performance, just 2 men on the team of the year?, No Aidan O`Se who lost out at the expense of McHugh, too much focus on the semi and final for the team of the year, a year put in 1 month , should be called the team of the late summer instead. How often has players outside the semis been on this team

TBF, that "all before them" amounts to Cork, Derry, the "cream" of Leinster and Monaghan six days after extra-time. I'm not all that impressed.

muppet

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2014, 09:07:56 AM
Agreed.              Muppets

At this time I would like to state that I have not officially applied for TSG gig. I have also not been contacted regarding the position. Lookit, obviously I would be flattered, as such, if considered and it would be an honour for me and my elderly mother, who would really love it, very much so, if I got the job. I am very busy though, at the moment like, what with the all coaching, the refereeing and saving the dolphins and all that sort of stuff, but who wouldn't like an opportunity like TSG?
MWWSI 2017

Thy Kingdom Come

That's all we need another Mayo pundit who knows nothing about what it takes to take Sam.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2014, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 24, 2014, 10:42:12 PM
Podge and Rodge need to go. Aka Brolly and Spillane. Ger Canning too. His commentating is brutal.

Spillane and Canning are symptomatic of a big problem with TV and why young people are watching videos online instead. They appeal to a certain part of the audience (older/not educated) and have a very low info content for most of the rest of the watching public.
You get way more info online. The one size fits all model is busted, I think.  The LLS has the same problem.

Seafoid, on what do you base your assertion that Spillane and Canning appeal to the older/not educated section of the TV audience?
"Stercus accidit"

muppet

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on September 25, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
That's all we need another Mayo pundit who knows nothing about what it takes to take Sam.

6 of your grand total of 9 posts are attacks on Mayo or Mayo people, are you sure you are not a pundit yourself?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 25, 2014, 10:39:16 PM
Podge and Rodge need to go. Aka Brolly and Spillane. Ger Canning too. His commentating is brutal.

Spillane and Canning are symptomatic of a big problem with TV and why young people are watching videos online instead. They appeal to a certain part of the audience (older/not educated) and have a very low info content for most of the rest of the watching public.
You get way more info online. The one size fits all model is busted, I think.  The LLS has the same problem.

Seafoid, on what do you base your assertion that Spillane and Canning appeal to the older/not educated section of the TV audience?

It's mostly anecdotal. My uncles like him, bro in laws don't. That is the age thing.

And online a lot of people complain about Canning- he doesn't give much insight into games. Just what happens.
It's interesting- he can be much more insightful eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9v3_VvNDac
but maybe he isn't allowed to - maybe that is his job, to keep it simple

The audience for a match is very varied. Is he good enough for the people who are looking for more ?
I think one thing about sports journalism now compared to say 30 years ago is the breadth of coverage available. You have all the stats stuff from people like Christy o Connor, tactics from people like Emmet whatshisname, top notch interviews  from people like Kieran Shannon or Jerome Quinn , quality writing from people like Shannon and Keith Duggan and then the stuff as it was - Brehony, for example Sean Moran in the IT would be in the middle. If you read the Sunday World say it's like very little changed.  There is nothing right or wrong about that- that is the way the audience is. 

On the other hand journalism is changing. RTE are setting up a new internet channel exclusively for 7-11 year olds because they don't watch telly.  Newspapers have had to change the way they present information. It's not good enough to just do things the way you always did it.
Not everyone is looking for this- a lot of people are happy with the status quo but it's hard to serve the 2 markets at the same time.     
The Apres Match stuff about TSG when Spillane was presenter was very cruel but they wouldn't do it to Lyster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euR_Idiso-Y
He's a pro.
So I would say that RTE are trying to please everyone when the audience is fragmenting. 

It is probably not a million miles away from what Liam O'Neill said a while back

" Quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it. Paraic Duffy and I are as conservative and traditional as you will get in the GAA. We are looking at a package here that will satisfy the broad group of people that we are trying to satisfy"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

Ger Canning is the commentary equivalent of 'Up for the Match'.
Most of us cringe at what's being said, some of us may even turn it off altogether, however for some (older people especially) it's a comforting example of consistency in a world gone mad.
Like the Late Late Toy show.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

I'd prefer an option to have no commentary when Canning is on.

Denn Forever

I often wonder is the could give the option where you could choose the option where there was no commentary just the sound of the crowd.  At half time it would go back to the studio where panelists would discuss the game any contentious issues.  Would people choose that? 

That said, I'd miss Michael Diegnan on hurling.

For the Irish speakers out there, what is the quality of the commentary on TG4?  It seems to be less full of sh*te/filler (maybe because I only under stand half on it).  I wonder could the be given a go on TSG?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Croí na hÉireann

I don't see how Canning could appeal to the older viewer of TSG, they grew up listening to the two Mícheál's for Christ sake, O'Hehir and Ó Muircheartaigh.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 26, 2014, 12:51:07 PM
I don't see how Canning could appeal to the older viewer of TSG, they grew up listening to the two Mícheál's for Christ sake, O'Hehir and Ó Muircheartaigh.

Yes but there are now generally deaf.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2014, 09:34:46 AM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 25, 2014, 10:39:16 PM

It's mostly anecdotal. My uncles like him, bro in laws don't. That is the age thing.

And online a lot of people complain about Canning- he doesn't give much insight into games. Just what happens.
It's interesting- he can be much more insightful eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9v3_VvNDac
but maybe he isn't allowed to - maybe that is his job, to keep it simple

The audience for a match is very varied. Is he good enough for the people who are looking for more ?
I think one thing about sports journalism now compared to say 30 years ago is the breadth of coverage available. You have all the stats stuff from people like Christy o Connor, tactics from people like Emmet whatshisname, top notch interviews  from people like Kieran Shannon or Jerome Quinn , quality writing from people like Shannon and Keith Duggan and then the stuff as it was - Brehony, for example Sean Moran in the IT would be in the middle. If you read the Sunday World say it's like very little changed.  There is nothing right or wrong about that- that is the way the audience is. 

On the other hand journalism is changing. RTE are setting up a new internet channel exclusively for 7-11 year olds because they don't watch telly.  Newspapers have had to change the way they present information. It's not good enough to just do things the way you always did it.
Not everyone is looking for this- a lot of people are happy with the status quo but it's hard to serve the 2 markets at the same time.     
The Apres Match stuff about TSG when Spillane was presenter was very cruel but they wouldn't do it to Lyster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euR_Idiso-Y
He's a pro.
So I would say that RTE are trying to please everyone when the audience is fragmenting. 

It is probably not a million miles away from what Liam O'Neill said a while back

" Quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it. Paraic Duffy and I are as conservative and traditional as you will get in the GAA. We are looking at a package here that will satisfy the broad group of people that we are trying to satisfy"

Don't forget the Ó Sé brothers making a real name for themselves

The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyCake on September 26, 2014, 11:15:22 AM

You do. It's called the volume button :)

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 26, 2014, 02:23:22 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 26, 2014, 11:15:22 AM

You do. It's called the volume button :)

It's not the same.

I'd prefer just the sound of the crowd.

A good commentator you wouldn't even notice him, but Canning actually puts me off watching the match.

seafoid

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 26, 2014, 11:41:20 AM
I often wonder is the could give the option where you could choose the option where there was no commentary just the sound of the crowd.  At half time it would go back to the studio where panelists would discuss the game any contentious issues.  Would people choose that? 

That said, I'd miss Michael Diegnan on hurling.

For the Irish speakers out there, what is the quality of the commentary on TG4?  It seems to be less full of sh*te/filler (maybe because I only under stand half on it).  I wonder could the be given a go on TSG?
Tg4 and RnaG cater to a different audience who are already bilingual so they can take in more info and there tends to be less waffle. RTE has to have something for everyone because it is a much bigger audience.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU