The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Micko gets expenses for driving Sidney. Remember that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:41:46 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:14:09 AM

Exactly. And yet they want to go to Croker too.
That's funny because I don't hear many of them moaning. Have you been talking to Mick O'Dwyer, perhaps? I know he loves driving.

If you want to take up the issue of distances, I think you better take it up with the good people at Google Maps.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mayos-appeal-against-limerick-replay-venue-likely-to-be-turned-down-283454.html

"It's an unusual one alright," said Kerry boss Eamon Fitzmaurice. "At this stage of the summer we love coming to Croke Park. We love playing in Croke Park. The players love coming up here.

As for your Google Maps, just had a look and if you go from Castlebar to Galway, it suggests the N84, as it does from Belmullet to Galway.

That's hardly complaining. Kerry fans will be happy out. Now if it was fixed for Galway you'd hear different.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 25, 2014, 04:59:45 PM
Thurles would be even further than Limerick for Mayo I'd have thought?

If distance was the only issue then Limerick is hardly much further than Dublin.

Thurles has more covered seats than Limerick and is a better pitch.

/Jim.

seafoid

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:58:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:48:22 PM

Of course you do. You, from Dublin, would have more local knowledge of Castlebar to Galway than any Castlebar man.
What makes you think I wouldn't? Contrary to the you belief, some Dublin people do actually regularly travel out of Dublin, you know, and can actually be very familiar with such roads.

You on the other hand, appear to believe that Castlebar is nearer to Dublin than it is to Limerick.

Local knowledge, eh?
It's about time rather than distance innit .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

You're good at shit stirring Sidney. That and Canicw.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 12:26:22 AM

Same blockages in Gort. Same road to Limerick/Ennis.

Nevermind the possibilities for more chaos in places like Tuam and Claregalway and the like. If anything Mayo supporters will have an even worse time of it than we had in 2006.

To be honest, it's seems you're enjoying roiling up people about an inane f**k-up on the GAA's part. The more you look at it the more indefensible it is as a decision and as an excuse why Saturday week is unavailable. Imaginary potential replay trumps actually-real replay. Brill.
But it's not the same road to Limerick/Ennis. The M18 did not exist in 2006.

The GAA are dead right to consider the possibility of a Dublin-Donegal replay. Playing the Kerry-Mayo replay in Limerick is an insurance policy against double booking. Sure, the likelihood is that there will will be a definitive result in the Dublin-Donegal match, but if it's a draw and Croke Park is double booked, you end up with an almighty clusterfuck of a situation - and playing a Dublin-Donegal replay on September 13th and putting the All-Ireland final back a week, as at least one other poster suggested on another thread, is not an option.

Not planning for something which probably won't happen, but potentially might, is poor planning. The GAA have planned for it, and that's sensible.

AZOffaly

Sidney, I think you're winding up the Mayo lads with your travel tips, but I think you are right about planning. Whether we like it or not, the GAA had a plan for a replay which went into force immediately on the final whistle on Sunday. They booked the American Football in the full knowledge that this plan would be needed, and they have put the plan in motion.

I think they will be surprised at how angry some folk are about this, and it may cause them to rethink in future, but I've no doubt they considered the possibility and that's why this alternative was in place.

orangeman

Wait to you hear the bitching if it pisses rain all day and all evening during the game on Saturday and the patrons get soaked.

Ponchos for sale just in case. You need to plan for the weather.

Greenabovethered

The GPA has been suspiciously quiet with regard to transferring the 2nd biggest game of the GAA calendar to a provincial backwater. Sorry I forgot, they have Donal's pet project the Super 11's in Croke Park before the America football (football, surely throwball?) on Sunday.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Hardy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2014, 07:27:16 AM
Micko gets expenses for driving Sidney. Remember that.

Ah! that's the bit I was missing. Micko is Sidney's driver.

Bensars

Quote from: Greenabovethered on August 26, 2014, 10:59:33 AM
The GPA has been suspiciously quiet with regard to transferring the 2nd biggest game of the GAA calendar to a provincial backwater. Sorry I forgot, they have Donal's pet project the Super 11's in Croke Park before the America football (football, surely throwball?) on Sunday.

"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Exactly.... it'll mean a few more jollys out to the states, expenses paid,to play to a handful of people stood behind a rope.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Sidney

Of course if there was no kind of promotion of GAA-related activities on the day's programme of events people would be moaning about that too, and now that there is, we've moaning about that.

If you're looking for pigs they'll be dressed like this:

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2014, 08:44:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:41:46 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 12:26:05 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 26, 2014, 12:14:09 AM

Exactly. And yet they want to go to Croker too.
That's funny because I don't hear many of them moaning. Have you been talking to Mick O'Dwyer, perhaps? I know he loves driving.

If you want to take up the issue of distances, I think you better take it up with the good people at Google Maps.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mayos-appeal-against-limerick-replay-venue-likely-to-be-turned-down-283454.html

"It's an unusual one alright," said Kerry boss Eamon Fitzmaurice. "At this stage of the summer we love coming to Croke Park. We love playing in Croke Park. The players love coming up here.

As for your Google Maps, just had a look and if you go from Castlebar to Galway, it suggests the N84, as it does from Belmullet to Galway.

That's hardly complaining. Kerry fans will be happy out. Now if it was fixed for Galway you'd hear different.

http://www.thescore.ie/tomas-o-se-1638493-Aug2014/

TOMÁS Ó SÉ believes it is 'wrong' that next Saturday's All-Ireland semi-final replay has been taken out of Croke Park.

The ex-Kerry defender, who won five All-Ireland titles and five Allstar awards in a stellar career, has also revealed the Gaelic Grounds was never a venue he found favour with during his playing days.

"I can only speak personally. I never enjoyed playing games in Limerick and it's no disrespect to Limerick. I don't know what it is.
"Some fields aren't football fields in my eyes. I didn't enjoy playing in Tralee either. I love Killarney. I love Pairc Ui Chaoimh and I love this place here (Croke Park).

"I think it's brilliant that American Football can come here but I mean it's a GAA field and it's our field. It was bad planning to put an American football game in our busiest window of the year.
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 11:28:17 AM

Of course if there was no kind of promotion of GAA-related activities on the day's programme of events people would be moaning about that too, and now that there is, we've moaning about that.

If you're looking for pigs they'll be dressed like this:

you're quite the gangsta

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:58:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:48:22 PM

Of course you do. You, from Dublin, would have more local knowledge of Castlebar to Galway than any Castlebar man.
What makes you think I wouldn't? Contrary to the you belief, some Dublin people do actually regularly travel out of Dublin, you know, and can actually be very familiar with such roads.

You on the other hand, appear to believe that Castlebar is nearer to Dublin than it is to Limerick.

Local knowledge, eh?

Show me where I said that and you win. Gold medal and world record all in one.
MWWSI 2017