The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr

do an internet search & find out for yourself.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

AZOffaly

Out of order. I get the impression joe wants to be a craicster but just isn't  very good at knowing where the line is.

Syferus

Quote from: Gaffer on August 12, 2014, 07:10:12 PM
http://balls.ie/gaa/video-joe-brollys-dig-colm-orourke-far-belt/

Seems far less of a thing than I'd been led to believe by posts here.

Maybe took it too far with the second line but that's Joe and the first line was a pretty good zinger that O'Rourke didn't look terribly crestfallen about.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
Out of order. I get the impression joe wants to be a craicster but just isn't  very good at knowing where the line is.

Oh he knows where the line is and is making a living out of it by crossing it. Have to say, the remark was out of order, but it was nice to see smug Colm get one on the chin.

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2014, 07:19:08 PM

Maybe took it too far with the second line but that's Joe and the first line was a pretty good zinger that O'Rourke didn't look terribly crestfallen about.

Ah there was an uncomfortable moment just after not on the clip. Seen it in real time and it was a knock out punch to O'Rourke. He was clearly shaken by the remark.

Gaffer

Firstly, it was O Rourkes own private business and none of Brolly's business whatsoever. He had no right to comment on it even in a private capacity never mind in front of thousands. It is none of my business either yet I had no choice but to hear it. He more or less accused of Rourke of spending tax payers money in Galway. I don't think anyone on the board would appreciate anyone speaking about them like that. This was nothing that should be dismissed lightly. It was an attack on a man's integrity. Disgraceful action.

Armamike

He does it time and again - nothing new here.  Years ago he had a thing about Micky Moran, then more recently Sean Cavanagh and Paul Grimley.  He continually belittles and mocks but hey we're all supposed to be thick skinned about these things.
That's just, like your opinion man.

jr

I agree. Very poor form to talk about a colleague like that.

Syferus

Quote from: Gaffer on August 12, 2014, 08:28:22 PM

Firstly, it was O Rourkes own private business and none of Brolly's business whatsoever. He had no right to comment on it even in a private capacity never mind in front of thousands. It is none of my business either yet I had no choice but to hear it. He more or less accused of Rourke of spending tax payers money in Galway. I don't think anyone on the board would appreciate anyone speaking about them like that. This was nothing that should be dismissed lightly. It was an attack on a man's integrity. Disgraceful action.

I think he went too far but it was a badly-chosen joke, not an attack on O'Rourke's integrity no more than the stuff that comes out of any would-be comedian's mouth should be taken literally. You'd be rocking back-and-forth in a ball if you went into a comedy night with that attitude.

Bad, but not quite as vicious as you're making out.

I'd accept what Bunker said in that the clip cuts out much of O'Rourke's reaction.

Gaffer

Well if Colm o Rourke accepts it as a joke I will agree with your point of view then.

Somehow I don't think Colm saw the funny side of it.

Farrandeelin

I agree Gaffer. It's O'Rourke's private business. What it had to do with the game of football, any game of football is beyond me? But it's not about the football with Brolly is it?  ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Gaffer on August 12, 2014, 08:56:31 PM
Well if Colm o Rourke accepts it as a joke I will agree with your point of view then.

Somehow I don't think Colm saw the funny side of it.

If Oliver Callan makes a joke and Paul Galvin gets in a huff does it mean it wasn't a joke? The subject's reaction doesn't decide if it's a joke or not. That has nothing to do with if the joke was in bad taste, that's a separate issue.

The problem here seems to be that the subject was sitting two feet away.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on August 12, 2014, 08:53:05 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on August 12, 2014, 08:28:22 PM

I think he went too far but it was a badly-chosen joke, not an attack on O'Rourke's integrity no more than the stuff that comes out of any would-be comedian's mouth should be taken literally. You'd be rocking back-and-forth in a ball if you went into a comedy night with that attitude.

Bad, but not quite as vicious as you're making out.

I'd accept what Bunker said in that the clip cuts out much of O'Rourke's reaction.

That's the problem with Brolly though, he thinks he's there to be a comedian. The problem with this is that he isn't funny, so his way to get a laugh is to belittle other people. At this stage it's getting tiresome and actually a bit embarrassing watching him desperately try to be controversial week after week. The worse thing is that it is usually personal and never really anything to do with the match he's paid to comment on.
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 12, 2014, 09:00:53 PM
I agree Gaffer. It's O'Rourke's private business. What it had to do with the game of football, any game of football is beyond me? But it's not about the football with Brolly is it?  ::)

I agree. I have zero time for O'Rourke, he's not as bad as the other two but useless nonetheless. Brolly was well out of order bringing up something like that when they're there to "analyse" the game