The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 15, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
The match commentary on RTE today was really poor; couldn't figure out who was with Tommy Carr, but he was bad.

He actually made Tommy Carr sound good.

Zulu

Agree, I thought he was fine. Now Tommy, that's a different story...

BennyHarp

Brolly's claim of diving is self serving and for maximum impact. He can't make a statement like that without showing evidence of what he is saying and justifying what is, a big, big accusation to make on live TV. Now we have every man jack in Ireland repeating it in parrot fashion without actually looking at the incidents. How anyone with a rational mind can claim he dived when Mone tackled him round the neck or when Hughes pulled him down is strange to me and their view must be tainted with anti Tyrone glasses. I'll admit the last free was perhaps dubious enough but the first defender had his arms round Sean's hips before Dick joined in. The free may or may not have been given but it does not warrant another personal attack by someone who knows exactly what he is doing. Cue the phone call later in the week to apologise for his manliness comment and everyone saying what a great fella Joe is for apologising.

One other point, Joe realises that "his" black card rule is a complete shambles and is now turning his attention to criticising the player in possession for diving. This the very problem many people said would happen with the black card.
That was never a square ball!!

Walter Cronc

Dry up Benny. Moane caught him high but was more a drag to upper shoulder/neck, not a firm strike.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 15, 2014, 04:59:27 PM
Dry up Benny. Moane caught him high but was more a drag to upper shoulder/neck, not a firm strike.

So no other player in Ireland would have went down under that tackle then?

Walter Cronc

They would have went down but the crying match and staying down is what annoys the neutrals.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 04:56:47 PM
Brolly's claim of diving is self serving and for maximum impact. He can't make a statement like that without showing evidence of what he is saying and justifying what is, a big, big accusation to make on live TV. Now we have every man jack in Ireland repeating it in parrot fashion without actually looking at the incidents. How anyone with a rational mind can claim he dived when Mone tackled him round the neck or when Hughes pulled him down is strange to me and their view must be tainted with anti Tyrone glasses. I'll admit the last free was perhaps dubious enough but the first defender had his arms round Sean's hips before Dick joined in. The free may or may not have been given but it does not warrant another personal attack by someone who knows exactly what he is doing. Cue the phone call later in the week to apologise for his manliness comment and everyone saying what a great fella Joe is for apologising.

One other point, Joe realises that "his" black card rule is a complete shambles and is now turning his attention to criticising the player in possession for diving. This the very problem many people said would happen with the black card.

Ah Benny Cavanagh clearly grabbed Hughes arm and pulled him down on top of himself, no way was it a black card and it was a definite dive.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 15, 2014, 05:03:02 PM
They would have went down but the crying match and staying down is what annoys the neutrals.

So it's not diving then? What he does afterwards is not what Brolly was arguing about. His point was that Sean went to ground every time he went into a tackle causing two black cards and a yellow. Whatever you reckon he did after the foul is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Walter Cronc

Its diving and whinging which makes him even less likable.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on June 15, 2014, 05:03:40 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 04:56:47 PM

Ah Benny Cavanagh clearly grabbed Hughes arm and pulled him down on top of himself, no way was it a black card and it was a definite dive.

Tommy Carr and the referee both thought it was a definite black card. Hughes arm was over Sean's shoulder and he forced his weight on top of him. Carr said he took one for the team. Either the black is virtually impossible to implement or it was a black card.

Zulu

If Tommy Carr said it was a black card then it definitely wasn't. Tom getting it wrong is like gravity, an indisputable law of physics! It was a definite pull down by Sean, despite what Tom might have said.

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on June 15, 2014, 05:21:50 PM
If Tommy Carr said it was a black card then it definitely wasn't. Tom getting it wrong is like gravity, an indisputable law of physics! It was a definite pull down by Sean, despite what Tom might have said.

Sean Cavanagh should have received a black card for pulling Hughes down... Hughes was going for the ball as he was last year when Cavanagh cheated him again. He has no class!

BennyHarp

To be fair - Tommy Carr would not be my first choice for presenting evidence in defence of my argument but he is an experienced football man (Who I'd imagine has much more experience of the game at the top level than either you or me) and if he was 100% sure that the incident deserved a black card then you cannot say for 100% accuracy that it wasn't. Either way, it shows what a complete balls the black card is.

Itchy

Benny, I called it as a dive on here. Check my post and timing, written before Brolly said anything. As for Tommy Carr, having listened to him all through the match its obvious he hasn't a clue what's in the new rules ( or the old rules either). Cavansgh is a very talented player but he is a doing this stuff every match.

What was Harte crying about to the ref at end of match?

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 05:49:06 PM

To be fair - Tommy Carr would not be my first choice for presenting evidence in defence of my argument but he is an experienced football man (Who I'd imagine has much more experience of the game at the top level than either you or me) and if he was 100% sure that the incident deserved a black card then you cannot say for 100% accuracy that it wasn't. Either way, it shows what a complete balls the black card is.

He probably has Benny but a French man could see what Canavagh did and he pulled the hand in and dived.