The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 09, 2014, 12:16:52 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 09, 2014, 10:23:46 AM
Carney stutters, trips  and farts his way through the commentary of a game.
Not only is his voice like an oul dolls but he constantly gets names wrong as well as basic detail.
I don't think he can see half the action to be honest. Its downright inaccurate half the time.
He has awful habit of trying to explain a piece of action that happened 10seconds ago whilst the play continues.
Too slow to keep up with the play.

Whelan and O'Se are decent (moreso O'Se). Whelan is a big fluffy dog and wont say anything too controversial or forthright.
Id like to see O'Se have a go at Joe some day on one of the live games.
Joe was particularly fidgety this week in the chair.

Is the aim to be controversial or to analyse the games??

I hear you..but what I meant was that when it comes to getting off the fence on some issues you can bet that the former players as pundits wont speak honest and forthright. They will avoid answering the difficult questions.

Shamrock Shore

Remember that scene from Fr. Ted discussing how black priests' socks were?

I get reminded of it every time I see Dessie Cahill's hair.

Can't take him seriously at all.

Billys Boots

I sat through it yesterday afternoon against my better judgement - I was sorry afterwards.

The 'analysis' could have been about anything - Tulsk mart, the price of cabbage, the economics of Montenegro - it certainly didn't appear (to me) to be related to what I'd just watched (in the Mayo-Roscommon game anyway).  All the gombeens wanted to do was disagree with each other - I could have gone to my local to see that (but I suppose I'd have had to pay for drink to spectate).  The 'content' of their discussion was pitiful, they cut across each other continually - they bickered over their right to have their nonsense heard (in preference to the alternative nonsense).  And then the smallest clown had a problem with his 'perception' that the Mayo team had a bad attitude to his (Derry) team in a recent encounter and all Mayo people were therefore arrogant - I pinched myself and found that I was still awake and breathing, so I turned on the golf. 

And they were laughing at how Sky might 'handle' the complexities of gaelic games ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 10:44:58 AM
Brolly and O'Rourke are fine together but Spillane just bugs me at this stage.
Every comment seems like it's sole purpose is to set-up some ham-fisted 'controversial' soundbite.
The awkward tension between himself and Joe makes for uncomfortable viewing too.
Spillane just repeats the same points every Sunday, over and over and over.......
That wasn't the annoying part, the annoying part was that Brolly hadn't the courtesy to let him talk, finish his point and offer his retort when called upon. Not only that, but while Spillane was talking, Brolly was acting the maggot in a blatantly disrespectful way, making mocking gestures with hands, with his face and his persistent add-on comments. The sort of thing you'd expect from a Max Clifford character.

The sad part was that Brolly actually had the most sensible point of all 3, he knew it, just couldn't restrain himself and was the author of turning the pundit review into an embarrassing shambles.

smort

The terrible trio need to be moved to a Monday night review show where they can argue until they are blue in the face (Spillane has an advantage with his rosy cheeks).

RTE should move on with their match-day programming and get more of the younger analysts on board. Sick of hearing them same thing every week.

Jinxy

Why is Colm always lumped in with the other two?
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

cockahoop

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
They should keep him as senior analyst and get some young lad alongside him who knows how to work an iPad.

exactly what i was thinking,i think he is very good,joe has lost all run of himself even though he makes very good points,example yesterday where he said mayo were cocky and to confident but how he put it across its dificult to take seriously.spillane is spillane and will never change

macdanger2

Quote from: Jinxy on June 09, 2014, 01:11:58 PM
I can't be sure but I reckon Tomás thinks Dublin have an unfair advantage playing all their games in Croke Park.

Whelan mentioned that it happened a couple of times to them in Croker, I coulda sworn that wasn't their home ground!!

5 Sams

Fcuk sake lads. I said it before. Brolly and Spillane bring in the viewers. Colm is the sensible voice..it's the national broadcaster. They will maximise viewing figures  at all costs.....and who better to do it than Pat the Bollix And Joe. They are playing a smart game.
The Aristocrat Years

AFS

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 10, 2014, 12:09:11 AM

Fcuk sake lads. I said it before. Brolly and Spillane bring in the viewers. Colm is the sensible voice..it's the national broadcaster. They will maximise viewing figures  at all costs.....and who better to do it than Pat the Bollix And Joe. They are playing a smart game.

The football brings in the viewers.

Crete Boom

I like O'Rourke and I reckon along side somebody like Tomas O Shea he would have a lot more proper insight of what was actually happening in a game and would have no bother breaking down/explaining game stats like those presented on sky on Sat night.

The reason he doesn't bother is he is stuck in a perpetual comedy show although I don't think the two comedians alongside him have realised this. If was forced to sit through that every Sunday I wouldn't bother my shite trying to be serious either and would do my best to wind up the two performing clowns beside me. ;D

macdanger2

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 10, 2014, 01:09:51 AM

I like O'Rourke and I reckon along side somebody like Tomas O Shea he would have a lot more proper insight of what was actually happening in a game and would have no bother breaking down/explaining game stats like those presented on sky on Sat night.

The reason he doesn't bother is he is stuck in a perpetual comedy show although I don't think the two comedians alongside him have realised this. If was forced to sit through that every Sunday I wouldn't bother my shite trying to be serious either and would do my best to wind up the two performing clowns beside me. ;D

O'Rourke only looks good because he's with the other two. Put him beside a decent analyst and he becomes the Pat / Joe character

orangeman

Colm O'Rourke knows his football. His articles are very good. He has a long and successful history in football. I like his analysis. I enjoy Joe's analysis too. And Pat is well, Pat.

All in all I think RTE have a good blend and it works for them.

Zulu

Really? I think it's awful at this stage. A studio debate can be both entertaining and informative but Brolly and Spillane are like two school kids who don't like each other and will argue over anything. I don't think I've ever heard Pat say something that above bog basic and he hasn't had an original point in over 10 years. Colm and brolly are at least capable of interesting points though putting the three together is just car crash stuff. When there are young guys like McGinley, mcconnville etc. it's bizarre they don't freshen it up.

imtommygunn

It's terrible. Cringeworthy tv. They'd be best get rid of the 3 of them. 

I can maybe understand why they keep Brolly but there's no reason why they should keep Spillane. If Brolly had someone compteent beside him MAYBE he'd stop just patronising people. That's a big maybe though.