Offaly's Daithi Regan claims Kilkenny use ‘illegal’ tactics to get edge

Started by Bord na Mona man, May 18, 2012, 01:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Offaly's Daithi Regan claims Kilkenny use 'illegal' tactics to get edge

Friday May 18 2012
KILKENNY'S style of play "borders on illegal" and the current "quite liberal" style of refereeing suits the ways the Cats play, according to Offaly hero Daithi Regan.

Regan also interpreted Brian Cody's comments about referees in the run-up to the league final as an attempt to influence officials to maintain the status quo.

The Kilkenny manager accused some people of trying to take "genuine physicality" out of the game and insisted that referees should be allowed to use their "common sense".

"At national level we're used to seeing the last three All-Irelands and that (refereeing) can be quite liberal," Regan said at the launch of Newstalk Radio's championship coverage.

"I think Kilkenny make no bones that they bring a huge physicality to the game and I think that Brian Cody, by coming out with statements like that, is influencing referees to keep doing what they're doing in a subtle kind of way.

"No more so than Alex Ferguson is a very strong character. Human nature being what it is, the stronger the team you are, the stronger in character you are and the more successful you are as a manager, more will be thought of what you say, as opposed to, say, the Carlow manager making the same statement."

Regan insists his comments "don't take away from Kilkenny's brilliance," but that the Cats benefit most from the current style of refereeing.

"Simple things like a little tug on the arm to slow a guy down and then a second player coming in. It means ball is not being cleared as readily as it would have been. It's not dirty, but it's illegal or bordering on illegal and refs are letting it go because we've all lauded the last three All-Ireland finals, which were outstanding."

Despite the Cats' dominant league final display, Regan doesn't see the destination of the Liam MacCarthy Cup as a forgone conclusion.

"I don't think it works that way and I think Lar Corbett's return will have a huge impact on what could happen this year."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/offalys-daithi-regan-claims-kilkenny-use-illegal-tactics-to-get-edge-3111567.html

Bord na Mona man

I'll extend it beyond Kilkenny and say that Regan is correct in that hurling is now a highly physical and high contact sport.
Using your arms, upper body and hands is now the primary way of tackling a player in possession.
Standing off and poking hurleys at the ball is old hat.

And sheer power and force is generally the most effective way the player in possession has of escaping this sort of attention. Rugby-esque rucks are much more of a feature of the game nowadays.

However I don't see this changing in a hurry.
Firstly the teams this style suits are the game's biggest powers/vested interests.

Secondly, when it comes to hurling, people (within or outside hurling) are very slow to run down the sport.
Because the sport of seen to be struggling and working off a small base, there is more of a blind eye turned towards adherence to the rules for example. Referees won't get admonished for not enforcing them, because the greater goal is to ensure that the marquee hurling occasions are pleasing spectacles to the public.

turk

Regan has always had a bone about this going back to when he was blackguarded out of it by Andy Comerford in 1999

Asal Mor

I don't agree with this and think it's a pretty cheap publicity stunt by Regan coming as it did at the launch of his employer's championship coverage.

Premier Emperor

He is right. Kilkenny have been using questionable tactics for years to get the edge.
Notice how Cody is always the first one up in arms at any attempts to eliminate rough play.
He fears strong referees more than he fears Tipp or Cork.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 19, 2012, 01:23:34 PM
He is right. Kilkenny have been using questionable tactics for years to get the edge.
Notice how Cody is always the first one up in arms at any attempts to eliminate rough play.
He fears strong referees more than he fears Tipp or Cork.

"Rough play"? Are there no men left in Tipp? Or Offaly for that matter? Teams have had ten years to match whatever tactics Kilkenny have been using  They are still way ahead of everyone. This stuff about "rough play" and "questionable tactics" is a bit vague and sounds like whinging to me. What exactly do you think the Kilkenny players are doing that is illegal because I haven't noticed it. If you can enlighten me I'll watch out for it next time.

AZOffaly

Watch Tommy Walsh and his 'helmet adjustment' when he's going for a high ball. It's class.

But Daithi is only going promoting himself and his coverage. Don't take too much heed of it. He was well able to swing timber himself. All good teams have an edge, that's part of why they are so good.

The thing with Kilkenny is they had to develop this side to live with the Clares etc of the world in the mid/late 90s, and now they have done as they always do and brought it to a level of intensity that others struggle with. If you go out and play wide open hurling with them, they can beat you at that too, so 'tis up to yourself :)

neilthemac

they are right about Kilkenny. they push the limit of the rules and non-rulebook

a few years rugby commentators were moaning the fact that players were getting bigger, more physical and that everyone had to bulk up

in fact, the opposite has happened.
the more skillful players have flourished, average player weights have come down  (due to less focus on size but on power and strength) and teams just generally work harder

the same should be applied to hurling.
if every team got their skills levels up, every player had their strength and conditioning up to a high standard and worked their socks off then teams could take on Kilkenny

Yeah

Theres no doubt they play on the edge, but this makes them all the more exciting to watch. I think its time for other teams in the south to put up to them or shut up!!
Gods Country= Glenshesk, North Antrim!!

johnneycool

Quote from: Yeah on May 21, 2012, 10:01:18 AM
Theres no doubt they play on the edge, but this makes them all the more exciting to watch. I think its time for other teams in the south to put up to them or shut up!!

They certainly have the tackling with the chest and arms down to a fine art especially when men are trying to run past them and as Regan says will have a tug and let go to slow the man down but cute enough so the referee will play an advantage, in the mean time momentum is lost.

Tommy and his helmet antics are a yellow card and he should be shown a few. If he got the line for a misdemeanor like that then Cody would have his guts for garters.

I suppose its up to the rest to go toe to toe with them and see what happens, but they can still out hurl you.

orangeman

Cody wl pretend to be raging about this but in reality he'll be loving it !