Sunday World hanging front page

Started by longrunsthefox, November 01, 2009, 02:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

This was truly sickening, at least in the Sunday mirror they showed some dignity by printing a picture of the bridge and police cars and mentioned they were offered pictures of the body but didn't feel it was appropriate to print them

rootthemout

seen it this morning,dont buy paper but lifted it up thinking it was a hoax or hallowen trick,disgusted a paper could print something like that and have it on the front page,had wee one with me and she asked what it was,pity poor lads friends and family,sund world editor should be sacked :(

Tony Baloney

An absolute rag of a paper. I wouldn't clean my arse with it. They've plumbed new depths here - how would anyone with any sort of moral compass think that showing this picture was acceptable? I can't think of any other paper that would think they'd get away with it. The family should have Jim McDowell (I assume he's still northern editor) over the coals for this.

Pangurban

This shit-rag of a so called Newspaper has been getting away with flouting ethics, taste and journalistic standards, for far to long. Its past time they were called to account for their behaviour. No on with any self respect should buy the rag. Sadly the editor is aware that there are no standards left in journalism and no depth to which their readers will not sink in search of titillation. We get the press we deserve, god help us

Square Ball

is there a paper regulator that you can complain to?  Its hard to imagine what that will do to the family and friends of the poor soul in the picture.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

down6061689194

Seems like they've attempted to copy the falling man

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyemonday/fallingman/images/title2.jpg

One of the best images to encapulate an event that I've seen.

Though they seem to have grabbed the wrong end of the stick and plumped for a moment beyond what the falling man represents, something that is just showing an horrific death.

longrunsthefox

McDOWELL is a scum bag

Suicide group condemns newspaper 
Jim McDowell is the editor of the Sunday World
A suicide awareness group has expressed its "disgust" at a Sunday newspaper's decision to print a photograph of a man who had apparently taken his own life.
The Sunday World printed a graphic picture of the man hanging by a rope from a bridge in Bangor in County Down.
The police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man's death.
The Sunday World editor Jim McDowell said the publication was "not intended to be voyeuristic".
Graphic photographs of the scene were provided to media organisations by a freelance photographer on Saturday.
Malachy Toman from the Public Initiative for the Prevention of Suicide and Self-Harm (PIPS) described the newspaper's decision to print the photographs as "absolutely disgusting".
"I lost my 21-year-old son in exactly the same circumstances and when I picked up the newspaper this morning, my stomach just churned," he said.
"This young man has a family and friends and I would say they will be feeling a hundred times worse than me when they see this photograph.
"Did the editor not take into consideration how they would feel when he took the decision to publish this? Did he not sit back and think how he would feel if this was a member of his own family?
"The guidelines for journalists are clear when they are reporting suicide, that care should be taken to avoid excessive detail of the method used. This has been completely disregarded.
"I buy the Sunday World every week. I will never buy it again.
"I will be contacting the Press Complaints Commission first thing in the morning."
Mr McDowell defended his decision to use the photograph.
He said the body had been in full public view for three hours.
He added that the picture used by the newspaper meant the dead man was not identifiable.

Archie Mitchell

Seen the paper when I was in the shop there. Absolutly disgusting. Why on earth would anyone publish that, or think their readers would want to see it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 01, 2009, 07:10:28 PM
McDOWELL is a scum bag

Suicide group condemns newspaper 
Jim McDowell is the editor of the Sunday World
A suicide awareness group has expressed its "disgust" at a Sunday newspaper's decision to print a photograph of a man who had apparently taken his own life.
The Sunday World printed a graphic picture of the man hanging by a rope from a bridge in Bangor in County Down.
The police said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man's death.
The Sunday World editor Jim McDowell said the publication was "not intended to be voyeuristic".
Graphic photographs of the scene were provided to media organisations by a freelance photographer on Saturday.
Malachy Toman from the Public Initiative for the Prevention of Suicide and Self-Harm (PIPS) described the newspaper's decision to print the photographs as "absolutely disgusting".
"I lost my 21-year-old son in exactly the same circumstances and when I picked up the newspaper this morning, my stomach just churned," he said.
"This young man has a family and friends and I would say they will be feeling a hundred times worse than me when they see this photograph.
"Did the editor not take into consideration how they would feel when he took the decision to publish this? Did he not sit back and think how he would feel if this was a member of his own family?
"The guidelines for journalists are clear when they are reporting suicide, that care should be taken to avoid excessive detail of the method used. This has been completely disregarded.
"I buy the Sunday World every week. I will never buy it again.
"I will be contacting the Press Complaints Commission first thing in the morning."
Mr McDowell defended his decision to use the photograph.
He said the body had been in full public view for three hours.
He added that the picture used by the newspaper meant the dead man was not identifiable.

What an absolute ****.  I hope heads role, the sunday world have got away with printing some bullshit for years it's time for their comeuppance.

I'm sure the suffering of the man's friends and family has been made 100 times worse over the picture and yon **** hasn't even the decency to apologise or accept he was wrong to have it printed.

How could anyone in their right mind think it was acceptable to print a picture like that or who do they think would want to see it?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

Quote from: Square Ball on November 01, 2009, 06:31:24 PM
is there a paper regulator that you can complain to?  Its hard to imagine what that will do to the family and friends of the poor soul in the picture.

uk press complaints

ireland press complaints

take your pick
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Zapatista

Very sad story. Scum of the earth. I beg people never to buy this rag.

Unfortunately it won't have an effect on paper sales. If making fake pictures of prisoner abuse in Iraq didn't damage the Daily Mirror then this will not damage the SW.

Hurler on the Bitch

Surely the logic of McDowell is totally up his ar*e! The thrust of the article was that it was a unacceptable that the body was left hanging in a public place as people could see the poor man and his plight - ie the police etc were at fault. How this justifies letting everyone who walked into a shop today seeing that image is ludicrous. This is not Sammy Wilson running around in the nip, this has been a crass error of judgement and McDowell should fall on his sword. What the deceased must have gone through in his own mind before he killed himself needs no ghoulish, cheap attempt to sell papers by people who neither knew him, or cared for that matter. 

imtommygunn

Disgusting. The height of irony too - a body was left for hours where people could see it and this wasn't right so to highlight this story we'll show everyone else the body.

Donagh

Sunday World = Independent News & Media PLC. There are no standards to any of their publications. McDowell will still be editor so long has he keeps selling papers.

Northern Ireland police chief wins big libel settlement from Sunday World

Former Northern Ireland police chief receives record payout after newspaper allegations of expense fiddling proved false

* Henry McDonald
    * guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 30 September 2009 16.13 BST
    * Article history

Chief Constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Hugh Orde

Former chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, Hugh Orde, pictured earlier this year. Photograph: Paul Faith/PA

Sir Hugh Orde is to receive what is understood to be one of the biggest libel settlements in Northern Ireland legal history. The former chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland received substantial damages over false newspaper allegations that he used public money to fly his son to the United States.

Orde sued the Sunday World over an article it published in May 2007. The undisclosed settlement is believed to be one of the biggest of its kind ever reached in Northern Ireland. Lawyers for the paper's publishers also issued an apology to Sir Hugh at the high court in Belfast.

The Sunday World erroneously claimed that Orde used PSNI funds to take his son with him when he travelled to the US to attend St Patrick's Day functions in Washington. Sir Hugh's lawyer Paul Tweed said his client was "extremely disappointed and frustrated that it has taken more than two years for the Sunday World to apologise for allegations that should never have been published in the first place".

"Not only was the journalist told on two occasions prior to publication that the allegations were completely without foundation, but the journalist concerned was himself in the USA reporting on our client's trip and ought to have been well aware that our client's son had not even travelled with him," he added.

As part of the settlement, which also included Sir Hugh's legal costs, a barrister acting for Sunday Newspapers Ltd apologised for "any upset and embarrassment" caused by the article. "The defendant, Sunday Newspapers Ltd, acknowledges that there was absolutely no dishonesty or impropriety on the part of Sir Hugh Orde in relation to any aspect of his expenses in his position as Chief Constable of PSNI."

Sir Hugh, who left the PSNI last month to become president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, was said by his lawyer to be very satisfied with the "complete and categoric vindication of his reputation".

Sandino

This is another example of the trash that the Sunday World has become. It was disgusting to have this image printed on the front page; any attempts to justify its use were exposed by the use of further gratuitous images inside the publication. It is time we as a people stopped buying this sh!te! Loss of revenue is the only way to hurt these exploitive scumbags. I feel sorry for people who work for this publication; they really need to look at them selves. I seen this image in a friends house, I have been trying for years to get him to stop buying this rag, hopefully from today he won't, lets hope the circulation plummets. Rant over!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''