Jacob Rees -Mogg V Leo Varadkar

Started by T Fearon, September 09, 2017, 07:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I see Jacob is now third favourite in the betting to become next British PM.What a turn around if Britain was to be led by a devout Catholic who opposes abominations like same sex marriage and abortion as opposed to a neo liberal gay atheist in charge of the Free State.

Such a scenario is bound to increase support for the Union among Northern Catholics.

BennyHarp

There is absolutely zero chance of Jacob Rees Mogg becoming even leader of the Conservatives, never mind PM.
That was never a square ball!!

theskull1

Can we thank god for that if it doesnt happen?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dougal Maguire

I'm not so sure. I think the  Mogster has the common touch and I'm sure he understands the issues facing poor people and can feel their pain and will act accordingly. He's a decent stick. A spunky fellow.
Careful now

Rossfan

I always thought Jacob Rees Mogg was a fictional makey uppy joke character.
A bit like a  DUP supporting poppy buying Northern Catholic....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 07:57:02 AM
I see Jacob is now third favourite in the betting to become next British PM.What a turn around if Britain was to be led by a devout Catholic who opposes abominations like same sex marriage and abortion as opposed to a neo liberal gay atheist in charge of the Free State.

Such a scenario is bound to increase support for the Union among Northern Catholics.

Tony,, maybe it increases it by 1

Gay marriage will split the DUP
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 07:57:02 AM

Like too many of his ilk professing to be devout Catholics condemning abortion and redefining marriage as a badge showing the strength of their faith he shows little in terms of true Christianity.  A quick review of his voting record will show that this self professed devout Catholic has voted to extend austerity for the weakest in society and voted to reduce welfare payments to the disabled.  Obviously keen on the Catholic Church's stance on matters relating to sex and sexuality but not big on the Beatitudes and how each of us should treat others.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes#business

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 09, 2017, 08:07:58 AM
There is absolutely zero chance of Jacob Rees Mogg becoming even leader of the Conservatives, never mind PM.
and even less chance of shinner voting fenians converting.

T Fearon

I am afraid the neo liberal and increasingly atheistic 26 counties is another definite deterrent for unionists against a United Ireland.Gay marriage would have negligible support among unionists of all hues (not to mention devout Catholics who are deserting SF and SDLP on account of this)and one of the incentives for the late Ian Paisley going into government with Sinn Fein,was,by so doing,unionists could ensure the prohibition on gay marriage was maintained in the North.

randomusername

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 08:35:23 PM
I am afraid the neo liberal and increasingly atheistic 26 counties is another definite deterrent for unionists against a United Ireland.Gay marriage would have negligible support among unionists of all hues (not to mention devout Catholics who are deserting SF and SDLP on account of this)and one of the incentives for the late Ian Paisley going into government with Sinn Fein,was,by so doing,unionists could ensure the prohibition on gay marriage was maintained in the North.

Aye the Shinner vote is way down these days...

Rossfan

T Fearon

There are,but the unionist bloc is overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage and this is another deterrent to unity.

Rossfan

I suspect a large number of "pro Union" people have no problem with gay marriage.
I don't recall the GFA saying anything about gay marriage???

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on September 09, 2017, 09:43:26 PM
I suspect a large number of "pro Union" people have no problem with gay marriage.

Polls show this. They have as little respect for marriage as the Taigs, on balance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on September 09, 2017, 10:13:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 09, 2017, 09:43:26 PM

Polls show this. They have as little respect for marriage as the Taigs, on balance.

Or as much respect :o