The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2020, 06:00:52 PM
First time I voted in a Presidential election was 2004

The guy who was directly in front of me in the line had just lost his son in Iraq

Doddering octogenarian poll worker couldn't find his name in the book

I thought he was going to seriously blow a gasket

I now vote exclusively absentee or early because of my travel schedule. Haven't set foot in a polling booth on Election Day for over a decade

Who did the father vote for?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rudi

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2020, 06:35:30 PM
I remember I didn't vote in 2012.

Went down to the local catholic school which was the local polling station, queued up for an hour with my then one year old child in my arms, and looking like I'd still have to wait a couple more hours, just said "f**k it" in the end. Only so much you can do with a young kid.

Luckily Obama wasn't depending on my vote in NY!

That's madness, should be in and out in 15mins max.

Gmac

Quote from: Rudi on November 03, 2020, 07:14:16 PM

Went down to the local catholic school which was the local polling station, queued up for an hour with my then one year old child in my arms, and looking like I'd still have to wait a couple more hours, just said "f**k it" in the end. Only so much you can do with a young kid.

got a mail in ballot sent to my home 3 weeks ago filled it out at my leisure and dropped it off this morning at a drop box location close to where I'm working took about 2 mins .

Jell 0 Biafra

People stand in queues here for much longer than an hour.  Eleven hours for this family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189

whitey

Quote from: trileacman on November 03, 2020, 07:07:46 PM

The guy who was directly in front of me in the line had just lost his son in Iraq

I now vote exclusively absentee or early because of my travel schedule. Haven't set foot in a polling booth on Election Day for over a decade

Unfortunately I voted for Bush (but againI lived in an overwhelming blue state at that stage, so it was just a token vote)

whitey

Quote from: trileacman on November 03, 2020, 07:07:46 PM

Hard to know, but in subsequent years I saw Democratic signs outside his house. He possibly switched after he realized that Bush was lying to everyone about the Iraq War

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 03, 2020, 07:25:15 PM

People stand in queues here for much longer than an hour.  Eleven hours for this family.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189

Not saying that it can't happen, but going to vote on the first day of early voting is like going shopping the day after Thanksgiving and standing in line for hours for nothing

Eamonnca1

My wife and I went through her postal ballot together. It took about an hour's work to decide how to vote for everything. Presidential election is quick enough, state assembly is quick too. It's the statewide propositions, local ballots, county board of supervisors, school districts, local city councils etc. that take a bit more time. You have to look up the candidates if you've never heard of them, look up the ballot initiatives, who's funding them, etc.. I can see why it'd take a while to physically cast the vote.

If voting in person you're supposed to look that stuff up ahead of time, fill in a practice ballot, and then on election day you do a data-entry job at the polling booth. Still time-consuming though. Voter suppression doesn't help.

sid waddell

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/live-blog/election-day-2020-live-updates-n1245892/ncrd1245964?icid=election_nav#liveBlogHeader

Trump campaign asks Pennsylvania counties for sensitive election security information

President Trump's campaign asked at least three counties in Pennsylvania for a rundown of highly specific election security plans — including ballot storage locations and transportation details — according to an email obtained by NBC News. The Pennsylvania secretary of state has advised counties not to disclose election security information to any third parties and has reached out to the FBI.

Election officials in Cumberland, Mercer and Montour counties — all counties that are delaying mail-in ballot canvassing until Wednesday morning — received the email from a Gmail address connected to a Trump campaign volunteer.

Cumberland County Commissioner Gary Eichelberger said that in his 16 years in office, he has "never seen anything like" the Trump campaign's request.

A spokesperson for Trump's campaign said that the request was made to evaluate the differences in voting processes across jurisdictions.

Citing a "slew of Democrat efforts to change election rules at the last minute, and the resulting pressure on election officials," the spokesperson wrote that the Trump campaign is seeking to "understand how and what officials are planning as a result."

Rudi

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 03, 2020, 08:13:29 PM

My wife and I went through her postal ballot together. It took about an hour's work to decide how to vote for everything. Presidential election is quick enough, state assembly is quick too. It's the statewide propositions, local ballots, county board of supervisors, school districts, local city councils etc. that take a bit more time. You have to look up the candidates if you've never heard of them, look up the ballot initiatives, who's funding them, etc.. I can see why it'd take a while to physically cast the vote.

If voting in person you're supposed to look that stuff up ahead of time, fill in a practice ballot, and then on election day you do a data-entry job at the polling booth. Still time-consuming though. Voter suppression doesn't help.

I get ya, didn't realise their was multiple voting categories.

Gmac

Anyone see the video of Biden in Philadelphia today introducing his granddaughter Natalie to crowd I'd like you to meet my son beau biden ,  ffs the man should be at home permanently taking care of himself.

Muck Savage

Voted in person yesterday and it was very straight forward, took about 3 mins to get to the poling booth, about 10 mins to go through all the items being voted for and was out the door. Lots of stations for folks to vote and lots of people directing things. I'm in CA which pretty much means my vote is useless in the presidential race.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gmac on November 03, 2020, 09:23:00 PM
Anyone see the video of Biden in Philadelphia today introducing his granddaughter Natalie to crowd I'd like you to meet my son beau biden ,  ffs the man should be at home permanently taking care of himself.

At least he's not grabbing pussy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gmac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2020, 09:54:13 PM

At least he's not grabbing pussy
no he's  not but if he doesn't know the difference between his dead son and his granddaughter he shouldn't be running for president, I feel sorry for the man .

LCohen

Saw it. Not much to see. I don't anybody credible believes he was looking at his dead son. He was introducing his son's daughter. He didn't complete the sentence and then did so.

Sentences can be tricky

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Elhyo-_fR0E