FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: mouview on November 15, 2017, 11:23:34 AM
Wringing our hands about being how poor we are is an age-old condition. This is the country that partied like it was 1990 when that team came home from the WC, having lost in the 1/4 finals, played drek football and beat nobody on the field of play. And we had much better players then.

I posted it here a long time ago; soccer by and large isn't the sport of the 'home' nations. The Celts/Saxons don't have the organisational discipline, creativity or imagination of other continental sides. England is just at the apex of ordinariness among us all, (and as long as first/second-generation players keep declaring for us when they find out they're not good enough for England, then we'll always be following on behind them.)

Live with it, nothing's really going to change. Be thankful we have the GAA to fill the sporting void.

That's a bit defeatist - invent our own game and we can be great at that, because we can't compete with the rest of the world?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Walter Cronc

Could be miles off here but are the current crop of U21s the strongest we've had for a while now?

Iceland have proved in their harsh conditions that proper coaching gets results. Is it a case of not having enough/good enough coaches?

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2017, 12:06:24 PM
Could be miles off here but are the current crop of U21s the strongest we've had for a while now?

Iceland have proved in their harsh conditions that proper coaching gets results. Is it a case of not having enough/good enough coaches?

will never be allowed to develop while the senior team is the cash cow. a bit like the epl.

Declan

I don't think changing the manager will make much difference Declan, though MON is a proud man and he may not be keen to continue

Probably wouldn't make a huge difference aright but it'll be interesting to see what happens now.

QuoteYes Dinny, there is now a defined pathway, through the LoI clubs - there's been an u19 and u17 league in place for a full season; there's an u15 league underway, and plans in a few years for the development of an u13 league too.  Obviously, the big Dublin clubs that have a vested interest (monetarily) in acting as feeders for clubs in the UK don't like this PDP and are trying to scupper at every opportunity.  Grassroots clubs are encouraged to develop links with their closest LoI club and work with them to develop their 'better' players.  I don't think we will see immediate results, but I think it is the right way to go, that is strengthening the local game, rather than sending all the kids overseas at an early stage in their development.

You know you're preaching to the converted with me on this one BB ;) ;)

seafoid

Kevin Moran on COYBIG

"I think they'll consider what's happened and decide whether they want to stay or not," the former Ireland defender told the Today with Sean O'Rourke programme.

"We've got to be honest with the quality of players that we have.

"We don't have any world-class players. Can we do an awful lot better? I don't know. If you put the best manager in the world in there, if you got Alex Ferguson back from retirement, would he do any better? I don't think so.

"There could be changes because there's always the feeling that if there's a poor performance you've got to change. Whether it would make a difference or not I'm not sure."

Ballyroan Abbey on Laois footballers

"These same players that people are criticising have been messed about for 5 years, every manager that has come has been a false dawn.  Sugrue is probably moving a bit quick, at the moment playing for Laois is not what everyone dreams of doing.  I am sure a few good results and maybe a little less tough talk and fellas will come back on board.  I was very much in favour of going with a younger team because a lot of the older boys are carrying scars of previous regimes ineptitude.  If I was the current management I would not issue any ultimatums and see if we can get them back on board at a later date."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2017, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 09:14:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 14, 2017, 04:35:21 PM
I think the difference in Iceland is the coaching - you are not allowed coach U10s in Iceland unless you have UEFA 'B' accreditation (if you had UEFA 'B' in Ireland you would have been coaching senior squads in the Leinster Senior League or equivalent).  The new FAI player development pathway (PDP) programme, introduced by Ruud Dokter seeks to change all this - recent results for our underage international squads have already shown a benefit from this programme, so I think the future is brighter than it was.

But we had great underage results in the past with the likes of Brian Kerr. Is the coaching in the clubs aligned to this PDP?

And we qualified for a WC with the fruits of Kerr's labours at u16 and u18.  And it is.  And all the leagues are committed to implementing the structures - you should have a read of it, it's very interesting, from a coaching perspective.

I read about it, but I was wondering how readily it's been adapted. And my point is what was Kerr doing that stopped being done, that is now covered off under this Dutch lad?

And finally, who is helping the Dutch now? :)

My understanding (and experience) is that the better grassroots clubs are going for it full-throttle - progressive clubs have been crying out for it, really.  I'm going back to do one of the new courses myself in the coming months, so I'll have a better idea of where coaching is going. 

I think the new approach is very different to the Kerr curriculum, but Kerr was an excellent coach and a good man-manager.  A man (and a manager) in a million, but the type of development coach we need to be bringing through. 

The Dutch will come again - they are far too reliant on aging coaches and aging systems as it stands.  They'll be back, because they're smart.

Is there a defined pathway to the professional game? It's all well improving coaching standards but keeping kids in the game is just as important and I am not a fan of Dublin Schoolboy clubs or any club signing young players from their home clubs. Too much focus on the 1%.
I know where you are coming from but I know cases where young lads in Westmeath etc were thought to be good because they were scoring three and four a game. Then they were signed by Kevins or Crumlin and meeting defenders who had good coaching and they were shown up.

Yes Dinny, there is now a defined pathway, through the LoI clubs - there's been an u19 and u17 league in place for a full season; there's an u15 league underway, and plans in a few years for the development of an u13 league too.  Obviously, the big Dublin clubs that have a vested interest (monetarily) in acting as feeders for clubs in the UK don't like this PDP and are trying to scupper at every opportunity.  Grassroots clubs are encouraged to develop links with their closest LoI club and work with them to develop their 'better' players.  I don't think we will see immediate results, but I think it is the right way to go, that is strengthening the local game, rather than sending all the kids overseas at an early stage in their development.

Thanks Billy, I agree I think this is the right model and I would definitely be a proponent. Strengten the grass roots and this allows for better talent development and better talent identification of late bloomers. Too many coaches and clubs focus on the 1% whereas if they focus on the 100% the game would be much better for it. Regardless of the sport we seemed obsessed with winning as a nation.

Just on the u13 league, how will that work, very young for representative sport even u15 I would have reservations but it depends on the structures.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Dinny, it's not laid out in detail yet about the U15s, but the impression I'm getting is that it will be very localised leagues, i.e. Finn Harps won't be playing Waterford regularly.  I have misgivings about the U13s myself, but I haven't heard how this will be conducted yet. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 05:14:45 PM
Dinny, it's not laid out in detail yet about the U15s, but the impression I'm getting is that it will be very localised leagues, i.e. Finn Harps won't be playing Waterford regularly.  I have misgivings about the U13s myself, but I haven't heard how this will be conducted yet.

Also on the U15, I hear they are being fairly strict on other codes too. Lads are being told that if they make the Waterford U15 team, they are not allowed play GAA etc.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: mouview on November 15, 2017, 11:23:34 AM
Wringing our hands about being how poor we are is an age-old condition. This is the country that partied like it was 1990 when that team came home from the WC, having lost in the 1/4 finals, played drek football and beat nobody on the field of play. And we had much better players then.

I posted it here a long time ago; soccer by and large isn't the sport of the 'home' nations. The Celts/Saxons don't have the organisational discipline, creativity or imagination of other continental sides. England is just at the apex of ordinariness among us all, (and as long as first/second-generation players keep declaring for us when they find out they're not good enough for England, then we'll always be following on behind them.)
Are the Saxons not German?
Live with it, nothing's really going to change. Be thankful we have the GAA to fill the sporting void.
Careful now

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 05:14:45 PM

Also on the U15, I hear they are being fairly strict on other codes too. Lads are being told that if they make the Waterford U15 team, they are not allowed play GAA etc.

That would be a concern, they are simply too young to be making that decision and committing to one sport
#newbridgeornowhere

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 15, 2017, 12:42:06 AM
In fairness we were awful against Austria and to win the match would have been robbery but its true that we were in a great position to top the group and then had 4 poor games getting only 3 points. For once can we qualify without going through the bloody playoffs

You can still win a game playing terrible.

imtommygunn

As awful as we were there were chances to win that game.

T Fearon

I think O'Neill will conclude that it is pointless staying on.There is a dearth of talent coupled with unrealistic expectations fostered by Brady the worst Celtic manager in history and Dunphy one of the worst eveŕ international players of all time.

Sadly in his late 60s his managerial career could be over.

seafoid

The Board could do with a template for an underperforming team with mediocre players and a manager who can't turn Buckfast into Chablis. Armagh, Meath, Laois and Galway footballers all share the issues with the BIG.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2017, 07:36:38 PM
The Board could do with a template for an underperforming team with mediocre players and a manager who can't turn Buckfast into Chablis. Armagh, Meath, Laois and Galway footballers all share the issues with the BIG.

Ireland's last line of defence last night reminded one so much of the Galway footballers FB line these past few years.