Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 26, 2016, 10:05:46 PM
Weather looks to be around 14 degrees and not too windy so things looking good for good times!

Friend doing it. She's looking 3.45 for her first!!

Saw a forecast predicting 90% humidity! If that's the case expect scenario like 2 years ago when there was carnage in last quarter of the race.

laoislad

Quote from: moysider on October 27, 2016, 01:57:03 PM
Saw a forecast predicting 90% humidity! If that's the case expect scenario like 2 years ago when there was carnage in last quarter of the race.
Are you serious  ;D
It was carnage alright that year, like a war zone with so many lying collapsed on the side of the road.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

manfromdelmonte

just go slower
and make sure you finish.
best of luck

laoislad

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
just go slower
best of luck
If I went any slower I'd be walking  ;D

Denn Forever

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2016, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
just go slower
best of luck
If I went any slower I'd be walking  ;D

And?

How many people can even  walk 26 miles?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Weather looks to be around 14 degrees and not too windy so things looking good for good times!

Aye noticed that but it was definitely warmer then, I would expect lower humidity in the morning??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

Quote from: moysider on October 26, 2016, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2016, 03:22:44 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on October 25, 2016, 06:09:24 PM
is there many on here doing the dublin marathon on sunday? this will be my 4th marathon but 1st time for dublin. any advice or things to look out for at the start or on the the course itself?

Am doing it, looking forward to getting it out of the way now - have done a 16 week plan and am sick of running.

Have to jump on a plane a couple of hours afterwards to take two flights which I'm not looking forward to.

Not ideal. Friend of mine ended up in hospital with lung clot that was put down to a combination of long distance running/ dehydration and long haul flights.

I'm doin Dublin as well. 5 in a row. Followed a programme for once. About 40 from club followed the same programme and the group sessions were really enjoyable. Felt jaded in tonight's session (even though it was light). That's kinda normal though. I remember last year walking and feeling like shite in last 10 miler a week before the race and ended up with a 10 min. pb on the day. It's normal to feel lousy in the taper.

Tell me about it, was supposed to go last week - dreading it TBH.

Best of luck to everyone doing it and enjoy

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2016, 05:12:42 PM

Aye noticed that but it was definitely warmer then, I would expect lower humidity in the morning??

It was very high starting 2 years ago though and it took its toll. Just plan for this I suppose. Have some salt sticks along and  Dioralyte or something similar to put into the water along the way. Water alone is no good if you sweat out and get dehydrated.

moysider

Very high humidity (90%+) still forecast for Dublin this Sunday. That means it will feel a few degrees warmer than it actually is. A 14C will feel like a 16C but it will be more difficult to stay cool than if it were actually 16C with lower humidity. Oh, and high humidity means that oxygen concentrations will be about 0.5% less. Might not seem much but over 26 miles ...........
Not ideal conditions but the good news is that there are no tornados forecast.
Proceed with caution would appear to be the best strategy. 

muppet

Quote from: moysider on October 28, 2016, 10:54:42 PM

Very high humidity (90%+) still forecast for Dublin this Sunday. That means it will feel a few degrees warmer than it actually is. A 14C will feel like a 16C but it will be more difficult to stay cool than if it were actually 16C with lower humidity. Oh, and high humidity means that oxygen concentrations will be about 0.5% less. Might not seem much but over 26 miles ...........
Not ideal conditions but the good news is that there are no tornados forecast.
Proceed with caution would appear to be the best strategy.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/atmospheric/question651.htm

...Relative humidity is the ratio of the current absolute humidity to the highest possible absolute humidity (which depends on the current air temperature). A reading of 100 percent relative humidity means that the air is totally saturated with water vapor and cannot hold any more, creatin­g the possibility of rain. This doesn't mean that the relative humidity must be 100 percent in order for it to rain -- it must be 100 percent where the clouds are forming, but the relative humidity near the ground could be much less.

Humans are very sensitive to humidity, as the skin relies on the air to get rid of moisture. The process of sweating is your body's attempt to keep cool and maintain its current temperature. If the air is at 100-percent relative humidity, sweat will not evaporate into the air. As a result, we feel much hotter than the actual temperature when the relative humidity is high. If the relative humidity is low, we can feel much cooler than the actual temperature because our sweat evaporates easily, cooling ­us off. For example, if the air temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius) and the relative humidity is zero percent, the air temperature feels like 69 degrees Fahrenheit (21 C) to our bodies. If the air temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 C) and the relative humidity is 100 percent, we feel like it's 80 degrees (27 C) out....
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Good luck to all the marathoners on here.

imtommygunn

Yes good luck guys. Have a good one and pace yourselves!

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2016, 12:42:02 PM
Yes good luck guys. Have a good one and pace yourselves!
I'm going to stick to one of the Kenyans.

laoislad

Well lads how did we all get on?
20 minute PB for me so delighted with that considering how my training went.
Was talking to Bingo earlier and he went sub 3hr. Unreal running.
Conditions were perfect. Really enjoyed most of it. Started to cramp badly the last 3 or 4 miles but thankfully made it to finish line in one piece.