Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I can't work out where he was for Tyrone's second goal in the final last year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hound

Keegan is not a great corner/full back and has been exposed there a few times. He's not a good enough shooter to play in the forwards, he never shirks from taking scores on and has got some nice ones, but he's also missed chances he should have scored in big games.

But he is one of the best half backs that's ever played.

Farrandeelin

Still standing after another terrible first 50 minutes apparently, only saw the last 5. Injuries clearing up a bit. Would I bet money on them the next day? Probably not, but it's still good to be in the chsmpionship.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Armagh18

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 11, 2022, 11:28:53 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 11, 2022, 11:15:45 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 11, 2022, 11:10:58 PM
Commentator said today that Keegan is among the Mayo greats.
I would, quite controversially, hold the opinion that Lee Keegan is the greatest player I've ever seen.

Warrior

Did he ping 2 over today, one with each foot? Some baller tbf

Edit - still might happen but is in the conversation for greatest footballer never to win an AI yes?
not just in conversation hes probably head and shoulders above the rest. Absolute class act and really hope he gets one

yellowcard

Keegan is a good player but best ever? Come off it, he played well against a mediocre Kildare side. He's tenacious, a great athlete but he shouldn't even be in the conversation for best ever player.

Captain Scarlet

After the terrible Dubs game I went into Croker yesterday thinking we would lose by 6 or more. Then as the game went on it was the hope that killed me.
Mayo were very poor and in the end Kildare couldn't cope when they kicked on. On one hand, we finally blocked up the defence, but on the other why the hell did we leave ourselves so open against the Dubs.
It also has me scratching my head as to why last year's captain was frozen out and why Fergal Conway, who is a workhorse never got a run of games.
Our keeper was thrown in and that added to the whole chaos too. Fair enough he was rattled but some of the kickouts were not difficult and even simple short ones he left the defenders under so much pressure.

In terms of Mayo the forwards were hiding for so long. I also was delighted to see AOS out there for so long as Feely does not have legs. I was much more worried when Jordan Flynn came on.

To end on a positive note, I got the tail end of the Clare win and it was good for the soul. Really happy for Colm Collins and the drama at the end was amazing.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2022, 09:53:29 AM
Keegan is a good player but best ever? Come off it, he played well against a mediocre Kildare side. He's tenacious, a great athlete but he shouldn't even be in the conversation for best ever player.

While I'm OTT about this abilities, this is really quite insulting.

He's played well or better against pretty much every team for a decade.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2022, 05:31:37 PM
Haven't won there since 1980?

Yep. Can't blame Prenty nor 'Rhubarbs' for that. Maybe if they concentrated on their own house instead of sneering at ours they might end this famine.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 12, 2022, 11:04:40 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2022, 05:31:37 PM
Haven't won there since 1980?

Yep. Can't blame Prenty nor 'Rhubarbs' for that. Maybe if they concentrated on their own house instead of sneering at ours they might end this famine.
Sure they have won Hurling matches there in the past few years, maybe they should just concentrate on that from now on. :)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

Won a few nfl Div 2 league finals. Roscommon has a low population but they got a fairly decent forward line probably their best crop of players since their 1991 team which I thought was very good.

Rudi

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 12, 2022, 11:23:18 AM
Won a few nfl Div 2 league finals. Roscommon has a low population but they git a fairly decent forward line probably their best crop if players since their 1991 team which I thought was very good.

We're flaky, cant handle pressure at all, a golden chance to win our first championship game since 1980 at CP spurned. We are just not worth talking about, a Tipperary man I met at a wedding told me that years ago, he wasn't wrong, we have done nothing on the national stage in recent times, even Cavan & Tipperary have.
Would be surprised if Cunningham stays on, dont think he was bad at all, as most supporters seem to suggest. Still we have no defenders, baffling how McCormack  & pacy Hughes got dropped for the Dalys. Last years promising U20 full back dropped from panel, mind blowing. Doyle not given more game time, forwards who under perform still starting, where was Heneghan yday.

Rossfan

Heneghan failed a late fitness test.
He only started Diarmuid because of that.
Yesterday was the ideal game to start Hughes (pace) and McCormack (a defender) in place of 2 Dalys.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2022, 10:30:04 AM

Keegan is right up there. The ultimate criterium for a player is his effectiveness in producing for his team. He has played at the very top for over a decade and never found wanting. His best quality his bravery on getting in to the ball when his team needs him most , and making things happen, in a team with obvious limitations. He mAkes them punch above their weight consistently.I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he is one of the all time greats

yellowcard

Quote from: 6th sam on June 12, 2022, 12:27:29 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2022, 10:30:04 AM

Keegan is right up there. The ultimate criterium for a player is his effectiveness in producing for his team. He has played at the very top for over a decade and never found wanting. His best quality his bravery on getting in to the ball when his team needs him most , and making things happen, in a team with obvious limitations. He mAkes them punch above their weight consistently.I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he is one of the all time greats

I wouldn't dispute much of that, maybe it's just my reluctance to put defenders into the frame as the best ever footballer. He has certainly benefited from the modern style of football where it is much easier for defenders to attack from deep from the half back position. It's probably the easiest position on the pitch to play if you are athletically strong and have a decent grasp of the basic skills.

Wildweasel74

If I was picking my all time top team he be on it at half bck, but there was many a better player in forward position like Frank McGuigan won never won an All-Ireland