Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Kurtz on April 12, 2018, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 11, 2018, 07:02:50 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 11, 2018, 06:43:52 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2018, 06:40:13 PM
Gerry Lohan's goal 2001 -choked a few Rhubarbs
We sorta got our revenge since then.

Roscommon has about half the population of Mayo and also about half the number of Connacht titles as Mayo too so it's a bit of a wash, to say the least.

Come to think of it. The amount of Connacht titles Mayo have compared to All Ireland's is an embarrassment
When you consider, that most of those wins meant they were straight in to a semi final

Totally agree.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 12, 2018, 10:38:05 AM

Roscommon has about half the population of Mayo and also about half the number of Connacht titles as Mayo too so it's a bit of a wash, to say the least.

Come to think of it. The amount of Connacht titles Mayo have compared to All Ireland's is an embarrassment
When you consider, that most of those wins meant they were straight in to a semi final

Same could be said of Cavan?

Corks record is not great either.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 12, 2018, 11:25:34 AM

Corks record is similar to Galways, about one win to every 5 provincial titles.

Mayo's is one win for every 15 provincial final.

Down though, 5 wins from 12 Ulster titles.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 12, 2018, 12:02:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 12, 2018, 11:25:34 AM

Corks record is similar to Galways, about one win to every 5 provincial titles.

Mayo's is one win for every 15 provincial final.

Down though, 5 wins from 12 Ulster titles.
Never mind that, how about Limerick winning 2 All-Irelands from 1 Munster title!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 11, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on April 11, 2018, 01:27:28 PM
Super 8s mmmm

Has the potential to work and I for one am looking forward to the games between some of the best teams (and dublin) in Ireland.

I see its draw backs however....The Cavan's Laois,Kildares,Fermanagh's Armaghs's Derry's and Westmeath's (who all on their day could upset the apple cart are now probably going to drift further behind the big 4(Tyrone Mayo Kerry Galway)because of the the provincial system and the draws...I don't include Dublin as they are out on their own in terms of everything and will probably win the all Ireland for next 10 years....(money money money)

The Roscommons and Tipps and Corks  of this world will always have a chance year after year due to their lack of games to reach a provincial final.which in turn gives them a great chance to reach the super 8s

As in if Tyrone Mayo Kerry Galway plus Roscommon Tipp Cork Obv Money bags Dublin make the Super eight year after year it will only make them stronger and stronger Thus making the gap bigger to the teams who Used to spring the odd surprise or two ....I know maybe there is one or two either way you could change but in general this is the way it will go and counties like my own Laois and say even Kildare Meath Derry etc will drift further back.

You'll have

DUBLIN way out in front

Kerry
Mayo
Tyrone
Galway
Cork
Roscommon
Tipp
Maybe Monaghan/Cavan/Donegal(for the moment)

The rest will drift away year after year!

Time will tell!
Unlaoised, could you explain the bit in bold please?
LAOIS ABÚ

Esmarelda

What I meant was, will it make much difference to those counties you've listed, compared to the previous system?

Each year a team or two might reach the Q/F that mightn't have been expected to. Those teams will now get to play three big games, at least one of which will be at Croke Park. There is the argument that it'll be harder to reach the semi-final, which is probably true, although there have been a few hidings there in recent years, but at least they'll get the exposure on and off the field that goes with new system. Would that not bring these teams on?

Rossfan

What about the teams that will get 2 Championship games and be gone by the 9th June?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2018, 04:38:10 PM
What about the teams that will get 2 Championship games and be gone by the 9th June?
What about them? The new system will do as much and as little as the new one I'd have thought. Or am I being a bit innocent? :-\

Unlaoised

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 12, 2018, 04:23:26 PM
What I meant was, will it make much difference to those counties you've listed, compared to the previous system?

Each year a team or two might reach the Q/F that mightn't have been expected to. Those teams will now get to play three big games, at least one of which will be at Croke Park. There is the argument that it'll be harder to reach the semi-final, which is probably true, although there have been a few hidings there in recent years, but at least they'll get the exposure on and off the field that goes with new system. Would that not bring these teams on?

Hard to argue with that point I just think the 5 or 6  teams that are in it every year will just get stronger on the back of  it ,one from playing those games and the county reaping the rewards with the interest it will create and the money it will bring...

Will a Westmeath say ever go further than a Tyrone or a Galway now?Would Tipp have reached a semi in 2016?
LAOIS ABÚ

Esmarelda

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 12, 2018, 04:51:04 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on April 12, 2018, 04:23:26 PM

Hard to argue with that point I just think the 5 or 6  teams that are in it every year will just get stronger on the back of  it ,one from playing those games and the county reaping the rewards with the interest it will create and the money it will bring...

Will a Westmeath say ever go further than a Tyrone or a Galway now?Would Tipp have reached a semi in 2016?
If it's the same five or six, you're probably right. On your second point, probably not. But is Tipp reaching one SF more or less beneficial than playing the three Q/F games they'd get with the new system? I can see both sides.

Rossfan

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 12, 2018, 04:39:34 PM
What about them? The new system will do as much and as little as the new one I'd have thought. Or am I being a bit innocent? :-\
Wouldn't it be better if those teams and the Westmeaths etc all played 3 rounds in a group system ?
Would bring them all on a bit?
Or is it just about the €€€€?

From the Bunker

The jury is out on this super 8. We will know this summer what it has to offer. Personally, I see it  for what it is a revenue junket to get extra home games for the biggest supported (and most catered for county) Dublin. It does nothing for my own county but add more expense and travel over the month of July on Mayo supporters (if we qualify).  Also asking Amateur players to go out and play what will probably be three intense games over three weekends shows lack of regard for the players.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2018, 05:10:54 PM
Wouldn't it be better if those teams and the Westmeaths etc all played 3 rounds in a group system ?
The qualifiers need a shake up. Groups for that to find the 4 teams for the last 8 would have made more sense than group stage for the last 8.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2018, 05:10:54 PM

Might do, but then you're getting into getting rid of the provincials and that whole other discussion.

I was merely discussing the system that we now have in comparison to the one we just had.

Must be all about the money. Loadsa people sayin' it.

Rossfan

Keep the Provincials anyway.