Muineachán v Baile Átha Cliath - AIQF

Started by Maguire01, August 03, 2014, 12:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

A massacare! A whitewash! A rout! 10 points? 20? 30?!
To be honest, I can't see us winning by that margin, but you never know!

Monaghan have to go into this with the intention of winning. There'll be absolutely no pressure. There's no expectation. But there's no point in beating Kildare just to be hammered by Dublin - with that attitude, we'd have been better having Kildare pip us last night. We don't intend to be there just to make up the numbers. We'll give it a go, and at the very least put it up to Dublin. It will be a real test of whether we are close to the top table. We have form in going into games as massive underdogs and deposing reigning champions - Armagh in 2003 and Donegal in 2012 - it's hope more than expectation, but where there's hope...

Nigel White

Last night would have lifted a huge monkey off your back. You'll give Dublin their fill of it

J70

The winners of the Donegal-Armagh game will be watching this VERY closely.

Maguire01

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2014, 01:47:48 PM
Dublin 1/16, Monaghan 15/2 on PP.

Wow! I've seen more balanced odds in the Armagh championship!
But the bookies have a shedload of money on Dublin for the AI, if Monaghan relieve them of that burden they won't mind paying out.

Arguably, Monaghan haven't really performed that well when expected to win, we'll see if the lack of pressure brings a battling performance from then.

Also Monaghan 9/1 on Boylesports, shades of 2003!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Theres absolutely no hope, there be 10Pt's in it unless Monaghan play like the Ulster final to stop the other team scoring, either way Dublin will win pulling up

DUBSFORSAM1

Unfortunately from a Dublin perspective I can't see Monaghan being as difficult a challenge as I thought they would be earlier in the championship....if they concede 2-10 against Kildare in shocking conditions they'll really struggle stopping Dublin scoring a big total

SouthDublinBro

Monaghan lads to get frustrated at being totally outplayed early in the second half and to start swinging elbows and targeting key Dublin players to try and injure them.

Boycey

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 03, 2014, 02:01:10 PM
Monaghan lads to get frustrated at being totally outplayed early in the second half and to start swinging elbows and targeting key Dublin players to try and injure them.

Ah feck it why wait til the 2nd half maybe we'll revert to type and do it straight from the off..

babarino

Judging by a few of your comments you come across as a particularly smug jackeen. Is your da a senior partner in KPMG by any chance?

J70

Quote from: babarino on August 03, 2014, 08:37:27 PM

Judging by a few of your comments you come across a particularly smug jackeen. Is your da a senior partner in KPMG by any chance?

;D

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: babarino on August 03, 2014, 08:37:27 PM

Judging by a few of your comments you come across a particularly smug jackeen. Is your da a senior partner in KPMG by any chance?

Did one get knocked back for a job with said company ?  ;)

GrandMasterFlash

Hound

Thought Monaghan were poor against Donegal and below par again v Kildare.

Very lucky in truth to get ove Kildare. The lillies having nobody to kick a free from the right side, and then getting so many from that side, was very fortunate. Also Emmet Bolton getting himself black carded was very unfortunate for Kildare and a big blessing for Monaghan. The final free at the end of the 70 was debatable - I would have given it too, but I'm certain a good few refs wouldnt have.

Having said that I think Monaghan are superior to Kildare, and if the game had gone to replay I think they'd have won by 6 or 8 points. I think Monaghan may have been a little bit guilty of looking one game ahead. More important was the huge emphasis on the 80/90 year timeframe since Monaghan last won in Croker in championship. I don't remember any mention of that last year in the build up to the Tyrone game but it seemed centre piece of all build up this year. That was a huge monkey off the back.

A big positive for Monaghan is the way their leaders showed up when it mattered. Dessie Mone brilliant throughout. Hughes at midfield was a pale shadow of what he can do with the ball, but ran himself into the ground and his block towards the end was inspirational. And that word wouldnt do justice to the full back Wylie's fabulous point at the end.

Now Monaghan have absolutely nothing to lose. Nobody gives them a chance, they can play without any pressure and I'm sure they'll have a gameplan to worry the Dubs. I think its going to be a fascinating game and it'll be nothing like any other Dubs game in the championship under Gavin

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2014, 11:27:12 PM
Thought Monaghan were poor against Donegal and below par again v Kildare.

Very lucky in truth to get ove Kildare. The lillies having nobody to kick a free from the right side, and then getting so many from that side, was very fortunate. Also Emmet Bolton getting himself black carded was very unfortunate for Kildare and a big blessing for Monaghan. The final free at the end of the 70 was debatable - I would have given it too, but I'm certain a good few refs wouldnt have.

Having said that I think Monaghan are superior to Kildare, and if the game had gone to replay I think they'd have won by 6 or 8 points. I think Monaghan may have been a little bit guilty of looking one game ahead. More important was the huge emphasis on the 80/90 year timeframe since Monaghan last won in Croker in championship. I don't remember any mention of that last year in the build up to the Tyrone game but it seemed centre piece of all build up this year. That was a huge monkey off the back.

A big positive for Monaghan is the way their leaders showed up when it mattered. Dessie Mone brilliant throughout. Hughes at midfield was a pale shadow of what he can do with the ball, but ran himself into the ground and his block towards the end was inspirational. And that word wouldnt do justice to the full back Wylie's fabulous point at the end.

Now Monaghan have absolutely nothing to lose. Nobody gives them a chance, they can play without any pressure and I'm sure they'll have a gameplan to worry the Dubs. I think its going to be a fascinating game and it'll be nothing like any other Dubs game in the championship under Gavin

I think it could be like every other Dublin game this year.