Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Could anyone give me a brief on the current guidelines for under 13s. Apologies if discussed before but my understanding is go games rules?. What does that entail ?

Nanderson

Quote from: charlieTully on April 26, 2022, 10:28:37 PM
Could anyone give me a brief on the current guidelines for under 13s. Apologies if discussed before but my understanding is go games rules?. What does that entail ?
11 and 13 a side. Small nets from 14 to 14. 2 touch football. Whoever gets fouled hits the free. No penalties

Cuan12

Well its official, Ballykinlar full steam ahead, planners happy, girls and ladies onboard, they don't have to pay( just make the tea for the men), roads service upgrading Clough to Ballykinlar road, cats eyes etc, including speed bumps and cameras to catch the boy racers, 30mph speed limit, upgrade of Vianstown road from Dpk and Killough Tyrella Road, roads will of the same quality of the Dpk to Newry road which in my opinion is second worst road in Ireland behind Kilkenny to Clonmel road, so Womble and Smurf suck it up , see a part of the world, walk along the beach , breath in good clean fresh air and welcome to Ballykinlar - watch for the traffic cameras !!

Truth hurts

Quote from: Cuan12 on April 27, 2022, 07:59:40 AM
Well its official, Ballykinlar full steam ahead, planners happy, girls and ladies onboard, they don't have to pay( just make the tea for the men), roads service upgrading Clough to Ballykinlar road, cats eyes etc, including speed bumps and cameras to catch the boy racers, 30mph speed limit, upgrade of Vianstown road from Dpk and Killough Tyrella Road, roads will of the same quality of the Dpk to Newry road which in my opinion is second worst road in Ireland behind Kilkenny to Clonmel road, so Womble and Smurf suck it up , see a part of the world, walk along the beach , breath in good clean fresh air and welcome to Ballykinlar - watch for the traffic cameras !!

LOL and a big sign just before Greenan's pub ...... Welcome to East Down, home of the Down GAA centre of excellence.

SamFever

Comedians out in full force this morning.The sooner it's finished the better although Derry and others haven't exactly set the world on fire since their Centres were built.We'll see.

Betsy Gray

I still cannot get my head around the whole Ballykinlar project bar the land is cheap. I think the wobbler pointed out that the British army picked it for a base because it was remote and hard to get to therefore easy to defend. If the county board are serious about an accessible training facility then surely it needs to be near the A1. I see a previous poster suggested Annaclone. Banbridge Annaclone direction would be the ideal location given the proximity to A1. Obviously that does not work well for the hurlers and means both main bases would be in south down. There is definitely scope for a central facility in east down. But I cannot see how ballykinlar is the proper place for the main county training facility.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Betsy Gray on April 27, 2022, 02:45:45 PM
I still cannot get my head around the whole Ballykinlar project bar the land is cheap. I think the wobbler pointed out that the British army picked it for a base because it was remote and hard to get to therefore easy to defend. If the county board are serious about an accessible training facility then surely it needs to be near the A1. I see a previous poster suggested Annaclone. Banbridge Annaclone direction would be the ideal location given the proximity to A1. Obviously that does not work well for the hurlers and means both main bases would be in south down. There is definitely scope for a central facility in east down. But I cannot see how ballykinlar is the proper place for the main county training facility.

It's happening regardless.

johnnycool

very cheap and flat, with natural drainage so pitch development work is relatively straight forward.

I suppose after the Bryansford/Burrenbridge debacle cost is a major issue for any new centre of excellence.

bigarsedkeeper

If we're honest it's a pretty important part to this. Factor in the price of purchase, the land is reasonably flat and naturally free draining, it's nearly perfect. The land does most of the work for you.   Geographically it could be better yes but I can see why it looks appealing to the county board.

A site somewhere between Annaclone and Castlewellan would cost considerably more to develop as it would either be good agricultural land or land you have to spend a fortune on to make good.

Johnnysboys

No balls Burren do it again when playing Kilcoo.
Very poor tonight for such a free scoring team in last three games - back to earth with a bang.
Very impressed with some of the young Kilcoo players on view tonight. Callum Rodger's was excellent as was young Hynds.
Can't see Frank O'Hare going anywhere other than Kilcoo this year again!

Smurfy123

I don't see the uproar about ballykinlar
Give yourself an extra 10 minutes if you are so worried about a 3 mile stretch of the road
Jesus like. It's a bad enough road but hardly any traffic on it what's the big deal
As for the lgfa paying for Newry and why would they not?

Team for Sunday if we have any chance

Kane
O Hagan
McEvoy
Fegan
Laverty
Guiness
Poland
Doherty
Mooney
O Hagen
Quinn
McCormack
Gilmore
Havern
Lynch Sweeper

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 28, 2022, 08:11:23 AM
I don't see the uproar about ballykinlar
Give yourself an extra 10 minutes if you are so worried about a 3 mile stretch of the road
Jesus like. It's a bad enough road but hardly any traffic on it what's the big deal
As for the lgfa paying for Newry and why would they not?

Team for Sunday if we have any chance

Kane
O Hagan
McEvoy
Fegan
Laverty
Guiness
Poland
Doherty
Mooney
O Hagen
Quinn
McCormack
Gilmore
Havern
Lynch Sweeper

Does CPN lgfa pay to use your pitches or St Marks?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on April 27, 2022, 10:25:36 PM
No balls Burren do it again when playing Kilcoo.
Very poor tonight for such a free scoring team in last three games - back to earth with a bang.
Very impressed with some of the young Kilcoo players on view tonight. Callum Rodger's was excellent as was young Hynds.
Can't see Frank O'Hare going anywhere other than Kilcoo this year again!

Disappointing game but with all their recent underage success Kilcoo seems to be unearthing just as many young players as Burren. Agreed with the performance on Rodgers, looks like a fine prospect

thewobbler

Interesting angle.

Are you saying that because the GAA had the foresight and drive to develop a playing field in every village and town in Ireland, that they should maintain and resource them for use by another association, free of charge?

Smurfy123

No we don't charge

Why should Down GAA give the Lgfa the pitches free of charge when it is they who are reluctant to come in under the one umbrella?

We don't get St Marks free by the way and rightly so