Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 19, 2022, 01:52:59 PM
Noted few points following my question on the location of the centre of excellence. Having a quick look at the map again there. Would Loughinisland be more suitable?

On the feile that's some going for Bredagh. Surely Down are sitting on a potential gold mine with players from Bredagh, Carryduff and maybe one day East Belfast in the next 10-15 years. If those city players are integrated with the established rural clubs it could be exciting times ahead!
for me the ideal location is somewhere close to castlewellan, better roads and easily accessible from all areas. Ballykinlar no matter how people try to argue in favour, is in the middle of nowhere.

Bredagh, Carryduff have been strong now at underage for a few years and are starting to reap rewards at senior. It's trying to keep the players dedicated to the club and continuing into senior that sometimes the city clubs have more problems with than rural clubs,
nil satis nisi optimum

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 19, 2022, 03:11:15 PM
Bredagh, Carryduff have been strong now at underage for a few years and are starting to reap rewards at senior. It's trying to keep the players dedicated to the club and continuing into senior that sometimes the city clubs have more problems with than rural clubs,

Success usually breeds success.

The youngsters will see the seniors going well and will want in on it. The chance of winning a Championship or two down the line will entice fellas to head to training rather than the pub.

Without wanting to criticise or otherwise, is there something in what Bredagh/Carryduff are doing that would be useful to the Newry clubs?
i usse an speelchekor

Mourne Red

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 19, 2022, 08:57:18 PM

The youngsters will see the seniors going well and will want in on it. The chance of winning a Championship or two down the line will entice fellas to head to training rather than the pub.

Without wanting to criticise or otherwise, is there something in what Bredagh/Carryduff are doing that would be useful to the Newry clubs?

In my personal opinion... Unless Newry can attract the same standard of jobs/salary as Belfast then I don't see Newry clubs being big hitters on the club/county scene for some while. Mitchell's is all but gone with Bosco fighting relegation from Div 3 these days. Shamrocks doing ok but should be doing better.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 19, 2022, 09:02:33 PM
In my personal opinion... Unless Newry can attract the same standard of jobs/salary as Belfast then I don't see Newry clubs being big hitters on the club/county scene for some while. Mitchell's is all but gone with Bosco fighting relegation from Div 3 these days. Shamrocks doing ok but should be doing better.

Sorry, don't get the logic?

Unless your suggesting people of 10-35 years old are moving out of Newry in significant numbers?
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

I'm happy to be corrected by the locals, but from the outside, a hefty percentage of Carryduff and Bredagh's rise is connected to second generation rural folk thriving on the efforts and identity that their parents drove to create, and continue to drive. They've got urban numbers but something of a "culchie" heart. Having most of their players emanate from 1-2 primary schools  has to be abonus.

I'm not sure this approach will ever happen in Newry. Mourne Red probably isn't far away from the truth with his point about wages. It runs deeper than that. But gaining an occasional influx of GAA mad coaches and admins who want their children to be part of a club, cannot be understated.

marty34

Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2022, 09:13:20 PM

I'm happy to be corrected by the locals, but from the outside, a hefty percentage of Carryduff and Bredagh's rise is connected to second generation rural folk thriving on the efforts and identity that their parents drove to create, and continue to drive. They've got urban numbers but something of a "culchie" heart. Having most of their players emanate from 1-2 primary schools  has to be abonus.

I'm not sure this approach will ever happen in Newry. Mourne Red probably isn't far away from the truth with his point about wages. It runs deeper than that. But gaining an occasional influx of GAA mad coaches and admins who want their children to be part of a club, cannot be understated.

What leagues are the Newry clubs in?

Mourne Red

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 19, 2022, 09:12:01 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on April 19, 2022, 09:02:33 PM

Sorry, don't get the logic?

Unless your suggesting people of 10-35 years old are moving out of Newry in significant numbers?

Not moving out but Newry has soccer, rugby, Hurling etc as other options to play and when it comes to senior level majority of players coming through the ranks are going to Uni at 18 then after those 3 years they find a job which more often than not is located in Belfast? So travelling etc.. Of course the local club including Newry clubs could benefit from the WFH culture that has developed from COVID and keep them in the area but a lot of that 20+ age move up to Belfast for work and the interest dwindles in GAA. In some people not everyone obviously

Mourne Red

Quote from: marty34 on April 19, 2022, 09:25:44 PM

Shamrocks and Bosco are in Division 3 and Mitchells are in Div 4 but I'm not sure if they are fielding a team this past year or 2

marty34

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 19, 2022, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 19, 2022, 09:25:44 PM

Shamrocks and Bosco are in Division 3 and Mitchells are in Div 4 but I'm not sure if they are fielding a team this past year or 2

Thanks.

Just 3 senior football clubs in Newry and in Div. 3 and 4.

That's quite disappointing. Like Derry City in a way.

Funny how Belfast has senior Div. 1 hurling and football clubs.

Is there much rugby and soccer around Newry?

Truth hurts

A lot is being made out of a museum at Ballykinlar but like it or not there is a lot of history there and I doubt it will be a shrine to the Army. People like Tadhg Barry need to be remembered and I am sure that both parties can ensure a history of the camp is told.

Newry has more than three clubs, Thomas Davis  Corrishego is a Newry club and would take a lot of players from Barcroft. Killeavy although out of the Town would get a lot of players from the Dublin Road and even Drumalane. Ballyholland Harps would have the pick of the Courteney hill, church street and monks hills.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 20, 2022, 11:51:29 AM
A lot is being made out of a museum at Ballykinlar but like it or not there is a lot of history there and I doubt it will be a shrine to the Army. People like Tadhg Barry need to be remembered and I am sure that both parties can ensure a history of the camp is told.

Newry has more than three clubs, Thomas Davis  Corrishego is a Newry club and would take a lot of players from Barcroft. Killeavy although out of the Town would get a lot of players from the Dublin Road and even Drumalane. Ballyholland Harps would have the pick of the Courteney hill, church street and monks hills.

A lot of collusion not History.. For the sake of your students I hope you're not in the history department of your school

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 20, 2022, 12:23:34 PM

A lot of collusion not History.. For the sake of your students I hope you're not in the history department of your school

Collusion, Internment, torture, murder, suicide etc

Do we forget about that ?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 20, 2022, 12:44:02 PM

Seems by your previous comment you have

rosskarr

Any official word (results) of the two games last week that were or were not abandoned?

charlieTully

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 20, 2022, 12:44:02 PM

Wtf are you on about ?