Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 7229034 times)

ardtole

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #37515 on: April 19, 2022, 10:55:13 AM »
The road between Clough and Ballykinlar, wouldnt be any more dangerous than the roads between kilcoo and Hilltown, and Hilltown and Mayobridge.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #37516 on: April 19, 2022, 11:38:22 AM »
Did Bredagh win the A feile yesterday?

They'd be favourites for the hurling one this weekend as well....

Might need to move the centre of excellence further north....

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #37517 on: April 19, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
The road between Clough and Ballykinlar, wouldnt be any more dangerous than the roads between kilcoo and Hilltown, and Hilltown and Mayobridge.

What planet are you on?

The road from Kilcoo to Hilltown and on to Mayobridge is an A-road, no pinch points and is marked the whole way.

Conversely, the road from Clough to Ballykinlar might not even be graded a B-road, has only sections that are marked and has several pinch points.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:40:11 PM by RadioGAAGAA »
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #37518 on: April 19, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »
So it would seem the main concern people have is that the Gaels of Down are terrible drivers, as opposed to the actual location. Less than 10mins from Clough is correct. And if you can't navigate that road safely then you should not be on the road.

Not at all - and I don't speak for "people", just myself.

The location is too inaccessible for every other county in Ireland for matches and its main virtue appears to be that it is by-and-by large equally inaccessible for most in the county.

The argument over drainage is an irrelevance IMO. These days, there are are these marvelous things called lorries and they can transport sand to a place of your choosing. Couple that with a cutting edge new invention called a digger and any field that isn't already in a bog can be well drained - even then bogs can be drained too if you've a bit of height to work with!

[and my concern is - your asking young fellas in their teens and early 20s to travel down the same shite road scores of times a year to training. Do young fellas always drive with due care and attention? I sure as hell didn't]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:39:41 PM by RadioGAAGAA »
i usse an speelchekor

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37519 on: April 19, 2022, 01:52:59 PM »
Noted few points following my question on the location of the centre of excellence. Having a quick look at the map again there. Would Loughinisland be more suitable?

On the feile that's some going for Bredagh. Surely Down are sitting on a potential gold mine with players from Bredagh, Carryduff and maybe one day East Belfast in the next 10-15 years. If those city players are integrated with the established rural clubs it could be exciting times ahead!

SHEEDY

• View Profile
« Reply #37520 on: April 19, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
Noted few points following my question on the location of the centre of excellence. Having a quick look at the map again there. Would Loughinisland be more suitable?

On the feile that's some going for Bredagh. Surely Down are sitting on a potential gold mine with players from Bredagh, Carryduff and maybe one day East Belfast in the next 10-15 years. If those city players are integrated with the established rural clubs it could be exciting times ahead!
for me the ideal location is somewhere close to castlewellan, better roads and easily accessible from all areas. Ballykinlar no matter how people try to argue in favour, is in the middle of nowhere.

Bredagh, Carryduff have been strong now at underage for a few years and are starting to reap rewards at senior. It's trying to keep the players dedicated to the club and continuing into senior that sometimes the city clubs have more problems with than rural clubs,
nil satis nisi optimum

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #37521 on: April 19, 2022, 08:57:18 PM »
Bredagh, Carryduff have been strong now at underage for a few years and are starting to reap rewards at senior. It's trying to keep the players dedicated to the club and continuing into senior that sometimes the city clubs have more problems with than rural clubs,

Success usually breeds success.

The youngsters will see the seniors going well and will want in on it. The chance of winning a Championship or two down the line will entice fellas to head to training rather than the pub.

Without wanting to criticise or otherwise, is there something in what Bredagh/Carryduff are doing that would be useful to the Newry clubs?
i usse an speelchekor

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #37522 on: April 19, 2022, 09:02:33 PM »

The youngsters will see the seniors going well and will want in on it. The chance of winning a Championship or two down the line will entice fellas to head to training rather than the pub.

Without wanting to criticise or otherwise, is there something in what Bredagh/Carryduff are doing that would be useful to the Newry clubs?

In my personal opinion… Unless Newry can attract the same standard of jobs/salary as Belfast then I don’t see Newry clubs being big hitters on the club/county scene for some while. Mitchell’s is all but gone with Bosco fighting relegation from Div 3 these days. Shamrocks doing ok but should be doing better.

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #37523 on: April 19, 2022, 09:12:01 PM »
In my personal opinion… Unless Newry can attract the same standard of jobs/salary as Belfast then I don’t see Newry clubs being big hitters on the club/county scene for some while. Mitchell’s is all but gone with Bosco fighting relegation from Div 3 these days. Shamrocks doing ok but should be doing better.

Sorry, don't get the logic?

Unless your suggesting people of 10-35 years old are moving out of Newry in significant numbers?
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #37524 on: April 19, 2022, 09:13:20 PM »

I’m happy to be corrected by the locals, but from the outside, a hefty percentage of Carryduff and Bredagh’s rise is connected to second generation rural folk thriving on the efforts and identity that their parents drove to create, and continue to drive. They’ve got urban numbers but something of a “culchie” heart. Having most of their players emanate from 1-2 primary schools  has to be abonus.

I’m not sure this approach will ever happen in Newry. Mourne Red probably isn’t far away from the truth with his point about wages. It runs deeper than that. But gaining an occasional influx of GAA mad coaches and admins who want their children to be part of a club, cannot be understated.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #37525 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »

I’m happy to be corrected by the locals, but from the outside, a hefty percentage of Carryduff and Bredagh’s rise is connected to second generation rural folk thriving on the efforts and identity that their parents drove to create, and continue to drive. They’ve got urban numbers but something of a “culchie” heart. Having most of their players emanate from 1-2 primary schools  has to be abonus.

I’m not sure this approach will ever happen in Newry. Mourne Red probably isn’t far away from the truth with his point about wages. It runs deeper than that. But gaining an occasional influx of GAA mad coaches and admins who want their children to be part of a club, cannot be understated.

What leagues are the Newry clubs in?

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #37526 on: April 19, 2022, 09:36:26 PM »

Sorry, don't get the logic?

Unless your suggesting people of 10-35 years old are moving out of Newry in significant numbers?

Not moving out but Newry has soccer, rugby, Hurling etc as other options to play and when it comes to senior level majority of players coming through the ranks are going to Uni at 18 then after those 3 years they find a job which more often than not is located in Belfast? So travelling etc.. Of course the local club including Newry clubs could benefit from the WFH culture that has developed from COVID and keep them in the area but a lot of that 20+ age move up to Belfast for work and the interest dwindles in GAA. In some people not everyone obviously

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #37527 on: April 19, 2022, 09:38:38 PM »

Shamrocks and Bosco are in Division 3 and Mitchells are in Div 4 but I'm not sure if they are fielding a team this past year or 2

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #37528 on: April 19, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »

Shamrocks and Bosco are in Division 3 and Mitchells are in Div 4 but I'm not sure if they are fielding a team this past year or 2

Thanks.

Just 3 senior football clubs in Newry and in Div. 3 and 4.

That's quite disappointing. Like Derry City in a way.

Funny how Belfast has senior Div. 1 hurling and football clubs.

Is there much rugby and soccer around Newry?

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #37529 on: April 20, 2022, 11:51:29 AM »
A lot is being made out of a museum at Ballykinlar but like it or not there is a lot of history there and I doubt it will be a shrine to the Army. People like Tadhg Barry need to be remembered and I am sure that both parties can ensure a history of the camp is told.

Newry has more than three clubs, Thomas Davis  Corrishego is a Newry club and would take a lot of players from Barcroft. Killeavy although out of the Town would get a lot of players from the Dublin Road and even Drumalane. Ballyholland Harps would have the pick of the Courteney hill, church street and monks hills.