Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: Lloyd p on June 27, 2022, 09:43:19 AM
Crazy that a team that gets relegated could end up with more points than a team in the top 4. Race to stay up wide open with only 2 points between 5th and 9th.

Crazy indeed but this was voted in by ALL the clubs, no point blaming anyone but CLUBS

upandwin

Don't think anyone is blaming, sure we'd be yapping if the league was boring and town and Rostrevor were down already like most years with two down. Wouldn't write Ballyholland off just yet they'll get a couple of scalps in the run in. I'd fancy them to beat Warrenpoint Ford castlewellan and Rostrevor which would put them on 16pts. Might be enough to stay up! Joe Murphy a big loss for them now tho through injury. I'll stick to my guns and say harps and point to go down. Going to be scrappy few weeks ahead

Square Ball

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 26, 2022, 11:48:29 PM
]

Are your club happy with the progress of the team since McAleenan left?

Absolutely not.. I do know that Mark Poland is excellent at what he does, very articulate and you can see this man has played consistently well at the highest level - 2 all Ireland finals etc. I also know the players hang on his every word and listen to him intently. But that's as good as our management ticket gets.

On another note - I hope thon eye gouger from todays game gets the maximum sentence possible and that it's a stark warning to those at club level in our county who engage in the same dark arts.
Winning/losing a game is one thing - but ruining some lads life by damaging his sight has no place in our sport.
[/quote]

absolutely disgusting, what sanction will/could he get?   
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Truth hurts

The lad made a mistake, I am sure he will learn. Yes ban him but the outrage needs to be curtailed. There are worse things that have happened in pitches in Down.

supersub

Quote from: Cuan12 on June 26, 2022, 07:46:13 PM
Why has no results for Div 1 been posted on Down gaa website and all previous results been taken down, is it a glitch ?

Obviously something to do with the split. New tables/competitions need devised - takes a bit of time. Up now as 1a and 1b

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 10:39:06 AM
The lad made a mistake, I am sure he will learn. Yes ban him but the outrage needs to be curtailed. There are worse things that have happened in pitches in Down.

Made a mistake?? Are you serious? Had he hit someone full on, headlocked a man or dozed into  4/5 men that I cud see into - but he actually went for another persons sight. What part of red mist or heat of the moment do u think it's ok to attack one of the main senses we have. The outrage needs to be greater imo. People need to realise that you simply can't go onto a field of play and do what u want because you are angry/frustrated and then we cover it off with ah sure he made a mistake. He will probably get a 1-3 match ban and that will be that. GAA needs to make a statement here the same way our county board did a few years ago when the Clonduff lad hit the referee. No excuses - 1 year ban. No appeals - nothing..

Truth hurts

The county board did nothing about eye-gouging in this county, he will get a ban but he doesn't deserve to be ostracized from our games. We are a family organization. I am sure he is feeling low and has said sorry.

Lloyd p

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: Lloyd p on June 27, 2022, 09:43:19 AM
Crazy that a team that gets relegated could end up with more points than a team in the top 4. Race to stay up wide open with only 2 points between 5th and 9th.

Crazy indeed but this was voted in by ALL the clubs, no point blaming anyone but CLUBS

Sorry can you point out where I was blaming anyone here?

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 11:39:05 AM
The county board did nothing about eye-gouging in this county, he will get a ban but he doesn't deserve to be ostracized from our games. We are a family organization. I am sure he is feeling low and has said sorry.

He needs an example made of him. Gouging is commonplace in our game and this is the high profile case needed to put it to an end.

If your family organisation is one which will ignore or play down someone yanking at another family member's eyeball, then I don't want to be involved.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 11:49:34 AM

He needs an example made of him. Gouging is commonplace in our game and this is the high profile case needed to put it to an end.

If your family organisation is one which will ignore or play down someone yanking at another family member's eyeball, then I don't want to be involved.

I am saying he needs a ban but he is young and we all make mistakes. Sure you defended your club and took them to croke park to appeal after the brawl in Kilcoo v RGU. I am sure you "played down" that incident to be powers that be. People in glass houses and all that  :)

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 11:55:29 AM

I am saying he needs a ban but he is young and we all make mistakes. Sure you defended your club and took them to croke park to appeal after the brawl in Kilcoo v RGU. I am sure you "played down" that incident to be powers that be. People in glass houses and all that  :)

No glass houses here Truth.

We were heavily punished for those events. But both the original sanctions that were imposed, and those that were then placed by the hearings committee, were ludicrously severe and as such were always going to be challenged.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 12:17:27 PM

We were heavily punished for those events. But both the original sanctions that were imposed, and those that were then placed by the hearings committee, were ludicrously severe and as such were always going to be challenged.

I don't believe he intended to gouge him
A spur of the moment action that i am sure him and his family are disappointed in today
But the reaction on social media from some people is laughable especially from people whose clubs done worse. Cut the lad some slack

Truth hurts

If half the Down people who went to Croke park yesterday come to the first league game next year then we will have a great crowd.

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 01:53:11 PM

A spur of the moment action that i am sure him and his family are disappointed in today
But the reaction on social media from some people is laughable especially from people whose clubs done worse. Cut the lad some slack

You don't believe he intended to gouge him?

Was it the bit when he moved his hand up Comer's face, or the bit when after arriving at the eyes, he curled his grip, that has helped you arrive at this conclusion?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 27, 2022, 02:12:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 27, 2022, 02:01:33 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on June 27, 2022, 01:53:11 PM

You don't believe he intended to gouge him?

Was it the bit when he moved his hand up Comer's face, or the bit when after arriving at the eyes, he curled his grip, that has helped you arrive at this conclusion?

The lad is 20, he'll learn from it and not do it again - Ban for the rest of the year from the sport or 6 game inter-county ban miss most of the league next year. Outcry over it has been overboard, people asking for his place of work trying to get him sacked (not knowing he's probably a student)

exactly, cut him some slack, we have seen a lot worse things happen on the football field, it wasn't nice but the outcry is mental towards a young player. I am sure his teammates in Clann Eireann will rally around him as I am sure he feels like crap today.