Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogie

Disappointing to see the management team stepping down,

I do think all the talk of massive progress is a bit exaggerated.
Still huge work to be done on all our structures & coaching.

I also think Eddie was always going to go at the end of this year, to look after his reputation & future prospects, he was feathering the nest putting out the anti county board vibe for a long time this year. 

The interview delayed this decision, now he walks away a hero & laois county board, players & hurling being left in a bomb site yet again,

burdizzo

Quote from: G@@ on November 24, 2020, 01:04:09 PM
Just learning of this now.

Laois GAA can go fook off if they think a €130 CB Ticket is going to be sold in to this house next February.

Unfortunately that's sort of counter-productive, both from your own club's viewpoint, and from the viewpoint of getting funding for county teams.
I think Ogie's analysis is better. Brennan was not God himself. Sure, he had the players going well for him, but in terms of thoroughness, I'd say Cheddar may have been better. Maye it is all about climbing the ladder w/ Brennan? We'll see what his next move is. I suppose Dublin will want him.

G@@

Quote from: Ogie on November 24, 2020, 01:11:31 PM
Disappointing to see the management team stepping down,

I do think all the talk of massive progress is a bit exaggerated.
Still huge work to be done on all our structures & coaching.

I also think Eddie was always going to go at the end of this year, to look after his reputation & future prospects, he was feathering the nest putting out the anti county board vibe for a long time this year. 

The interview delayed this decision, now he walks away a hero & laois county board, players & hurling being left in a bomb site yet again,

Under previous managements we were always putting in a good game every three or four years running a big team close. Under Brennan, we've been fairly consistent in keeping in with big teams and managed to take a scalp.

Compared to that, exaggerated it is not.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

Quote from: burdizzo on November 24, 2020, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: G@@ on November 24, 2020, 01:04:09 PM
Just learning of this now.

Laois GAA can go fook off if they think a €130 CB Ticket is going to be sold in to this house next February.

Unfortunately that's sort of counter-productive, both from your own club's viewpoint, and from the viewpoint of getting funding for county teams.
I think Ogie's analysis is better. Brennan was not God himself. Sure, he had the players going well for him, but in terms of thoroughness, I'd say Cheddar may have been better. Maye it is all about climbing the ladder w/ Brennan? We'll see what his next move is. I suppose Dublin will want him.

There is more than one way to fund my local club. Via the County Board ticket system won't be one in 2021. Might as well go the way of Wicklow and the likes - it's obvious the CB have no real interest in our County Hurlers succeeding.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

redsetanta

I personally think Eddie would have given it another year due to how Covid messed this year up. He was looking forward to Laois playing the championship round robin which didn't happen.
I think he would have done another year if the 'off the record' never happened
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Milltown Row2

That's been two cracking managers that Laois have had recently, and for me they have improved and developed well under both

Who's going to step in now? Its an attractive post with a decent set of players to pick from, what is the age profile of the current team and is there room for developing it further?

Laois would be the benchmark for us moving up, I'd say we'd have a target on their backs going forward, purely out of that fact that they are a level above us, it would be a decent guideline to see how we have improved lately.

I don't know where Eddie is going to go after this, Dublin? Wexford? is there talk of him stepping up?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

burdizzo

If we get the wrong man in, I'd say ye'd be well able to beat us in the league and the Leinster championship next year.

burdizzo

Maybe we could approach Ken McGrath - haw haw!

Leixlad

Was always going to be the outcome unfortunately.
Anyone able to think of suitable or potential replacements? I would definitely favor another outsider.
David Herity?
Henry Shefflin? Why not if Mickey Harte is gone to Louth.
Ken/Derek McGrath?
Ciaran Carey?
TJ Ryan?
This is the caliber we should be aiming for - and the next appointment will tell a lot about what the county board think of Laois hurling. I only hope if one of the above is approached he doesn't ring Eddie for advice.

Laoisred

It is disappointing but people shouldn't be too despondent. There are good up and coming managers in the club game and inter county that could step up. Just a few off the top of my head...Henry Sheflin, Kevin Lally, David Herity.
I hope all that went on won't put people off coming to Laois if it is an outsider.

The next appointment is crucial if Laois want to build on last year's progress. Need a young hungry manager. They don't grow on trees but they are there!

Blow-in

List of players rattled off by Zoom that aren't hurling wifh Laois on this podcast is extraordinary https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/cQ5dH1DexqoY9GJh6

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on November 24, 2020, 01:36:08 PM
Sure, he had the players going well for him, but in terms of thoroughness, I'd say Cheddar may have been better.

Cheddar probably overdid the physical prep and his teams were often lead-legged in important games. He was trying to build the team up to be able to compete physically. Our hurling was a good bit sharper under Eddie IMO. Cheddar is a legend but I would always prefer to have him on structure and development than directly managing our senior team. Niall Corcoran is easily as big a loss as Eddie and I would imagine they will go as a package to their next county.

clonadmad

Lads are off their heads if they think the likes of Shefflin or Herity would touch Laois with a shitty stick once everything comes out in the wash.

We are back to the likes of the Eamonn Kelly's who next job after he left Laois was coaching Kildangans third adult team.

High Fielder

Inevitable outcome really. The boys don't want to do any more than they have been doing. I'm surprised they took on someone so progressive and outspoken in the first place.

Laoisred

Incorrect, Eamonn Kelly managed Boherlahan to Tipp Junior title a few months after leaving Laois. Then went to Judes in Dublin.
Why not go for Sheflin or Herity. You'd never know. Arien Delaney was the front runner last time and no one even mentioned Brennan. Could be the same this time!