Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Kipyegon was always going to win that the way she's been going and Hassan was always likely to get one but any one of about 8 of them could have been medallists. 4th is always heartbreaking but a PB in a world final behind two of the best of all time is a fantastic performance.

An Watcher

She ran great.  Almost wish she was well beat as she came so close

gallsman

On Adele btw, I think she could very understandably be tired after a very long college season where she's made massive gains. You saw what happened to Britton Wilson. I don't think that's what was on show yesterday though, I think she just miscalculated the first half of the race and had to really work for it in the second 200m

imtommygunn

I would predict fourth for adeleke but hopefully higher...

Mageean has had her best season ever and that will hopefully stand to her in Olympic year next year. She beat Laura muir by more or less two seconds which is huge and the gap to fifth was big. I hope she builds on this for olympics but she should get stronger. There's a 355 in her I think.

The 4 x 400 might be interesting too as mawdseley isn't bad and Becker half decent too. Medal probably a stretch but maybe a final who knows.

gallsman

Terrific interview from Mageean on BBC, she always speaks well. She must be devastated but 4th in the world and the top non-African is something she's rightly proud of.

Kipyegon is just something else though. There was a close up shot from the tracking camera going down the back straight on the final lap. The speed and fluency is obscene.

imtommygunn

The running technique she has is phenomenal. So consistent, fast and compact.

Mageean is a real character. The thing about that race was that she believed she would medal and she raced with complete confidence and that in mind. The mile in Monaco gave her massive confidence I think as there was muir, the Australian girl hull I think and possibly one or two others who had her number in the past and she beat them well. Hopefully the olympics has something in store for her.

marty34

Fair play Ciara. Great effort.

Hoefully she'll get focussed again and push on over the next 12 months.

Pub Bore

It'll probably get overlooked because she didn't get a medal but that run by Mageean last night was one of the best ever by an Irish athlete in a major race.  She's very good at the press stuff too.  I wonder how they're feeling in Listowel ;)  The quality of that field was scary.  As for Adeleke, I think she's going to be a huge star but she did look a bit sluggish in the semi final.  Unfortunately for her that 400m race is  stacked with talent too.  But she has a minimum of two, probably three Olympics in front of her.  Another 4th tonight??

johnnycool

Quote from: Pub Bore on August 23, 2023, 09:15:56 AM
It'll probably get overlooked because she didn't get a medal but that run by Mageean last night was one of the best ever by an Irish athlete in a major race.  She's very good at the press stuff too.  I wonder how they're feeling in Listowel ;)  The quality of that field was scary.  As for Adeleke, I think she's going to be a huge star but she did look a bit sluggish in the semi final.  Unfortunately for her that 400m race is  stacked with talent too.  But she has a minimum of two, probably three Olympics in front of her.  Another 4th tonight??

Go to Portaferry GAC's facebook page, they've a wee 6 second video in the clubhouse of everyone watching the race and right at the end is a man standing with the fist out..

That's her Da, the white hunter, a fierce, fierce competitor in his day if you ever wonder where she got it from, she didn't lick it off the ground.

imtommygunn

Another bloody fourth  :( (fourth in the world is great but gutting not to get a medal for these runners)

Capt Pat

4th for both Irish runners is unfortunate but it should keep them hungry for the olympics next year. The timing of the olympics is not too bad especially for Adeleke.

WT4E

Serious question. Would that hairstyle not have cost her time???

Pub Bore

Quote from: WT4E on August 23, 2023, 11:58:16 PM

Maybe if it came down to 1000ths of a second.  Adeleke looked tired in the semi and she was slower again in the final.  I think her semi time would have got her the bronze.  Apparently the US college season is brutal in terms of the amount of racing they do. The runner Adeleke beat into 2nd in the NCAA final didn't make it out of her heat.  You could see at 250m her head was already rolling from side to side.  I think she was just knackered.  But she has huge potential and is now a genuine medal contender in future Olympics and World Champs.

marty34

Quote from: Pub Bore on August 24, 2023, 09:49:26 AM

Maybe if it came down to 1000ths of a second.  Adeleke looked tired in the semi and she was slower again in the final.  I think her semi time would have got her the bronze.  Apparently the US college season is brutal in terms of the amount of racing they do. The runner Adeleke beat into 2nd in the NCAA final didn't make it out of her heat.  You could see at 250m her head was already rolling from side to side.  I think she was just knackered.  But she has huge potential and is now a genuine medal contender in future Olympics and World Champs.

Will Adeleke have to go back to America again?

That's a tough enough gig and only 20 years old.  Pity she couldn't get that level of training in Ireland but probably not available.

Great potential and hopefully she stays injury free.

gallsman

Quote from: marty34 on August 24, 2023, 10:28:42 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on August 24, 2023, 09:49:26 AM

Will Adeleke have to go back to America again?

That's a tough enough gig and only 20 years old.  Pity she couldn't get that level of training in Ireland but probably not available.

Great potential and hopefully she stays injury free.

She's turned pro so can't compete in the NCAA but will continue to train in Texas with the same coaches. Relatively few of the big meets she'll be targeting in future are in the US. Only one Diamond League event each year.