East wall #Irelandisfull

Started by Truth hurts, January 04, 2023, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: thebigfella on February 03, 2023, 05:52:25 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 02:18:03 PM
I'm just back from Ireland and an elderly relative has a home health care aid that's a lovely black fella

If he's there and working he's obviously identifiable and vetted.

Anyone who has a problem with identifiable and vetted migrants is a racist

Anyone who has a problem with unidentifiable and unvetted migrants is not a racist

Confused with the first line, he's just a lovely fella, I don't need to know his colour at all

Unconfuse yourself then. (that's how the almost 90 year old Irish person described their carer to me, so it's entirely relevant to the discussion  at hand and allegations of racism that are being bandied about)

I'm with MR2 on this, his colour is irrelevant or how someone  described that person to you.

He's an immigrant who legally entered the county and is entitled to work, and by all means a throughly nice guy.

We do have Irish black people as well you know  ;D

Great-you're entitled to your opinion

Thanks for sharing it

HokeyPokey

Anyone who has a problem with unidentifiable and unvetted migrants is not a racist

That's extremely simplistic.

If I want to convince or win someone to my side, you go after the low hanging fruit, the issues where there are valid concerns, but which are then gradually perpetuated and used to push people towards views which might be characterised as bigoted. There's plenty of examples of this, where a fringe issue where there are things which are tricky and need to be worked out, are exploited to feed into an overarching agenda.

The one that comes to mind is people raising issues about trans women playing women's sport. Obviously there are concerns around different physiques. In the example of rugby, this related to TWO trans women in the whole country. I don't know their physique, but the odds are that there are far more cis women out there that would be a danger to other women or indeed issues with size differences with children especially. Having a set of rules and/or going on a case by case basis was surely very doable.

Similarly, there's plenty of people who have issues with Israel / Palestine. Some of them are islamophobic or anti-semitic. You can be sure every anti-semitic person will focus on raising all the very real issues with Israel. That doesn't mean those points are not valid because they are made by a bigot, not does it mean that person is not a bigot because they make some valid points.

Bigots always try to present themselves as respectable and reasonable 'just asking questions etc.'. Some of this is very transparent. Other times not. Like anything, if people want to convince someone of something they try and find the issues or points which someone might be sympathetic with.

Itchy

The black people I know are sound but the ones I don't aren't. Rascist Whitey. Do us a favour and stay away wherever you are.

whitey

Quote from: HokeyPokey on February 03, 2023, 06:20:36 PM

If I want to convince or win someone to my side, you go after the low hanging fruit, the issues where there are valid concerns, but which are then gradually perpetuated and used to push people towards views which might be characterised as bigoted. There's plenty of examples of this, where a fringe issue where there are things which are tricky and need to be worked out, are exploited to feed into an overarching agenda.

The one that comes to mind is people raising issues about trans women playing women's sport. Obviously there are concerns around different physiques. In the example of rugby, this related to TWO trans women in the whole country. I don't know their physique, but the odds are that there are far more cis women out there that would be a danger to other women or indeed issues with size differences with children especially. Having a set of rules and/or going on a case by case basis was surely very doable.

Similarly, there's plenty of people who have issues with Israel / Palestine. Some of them are islamophobic or anti-semitic. You can be sure every anti-semitic person will focus on raising all the very real issues with Israel. That doesn't mean those points are not valid because they are made by a bigot, not does it mean that person is not a bigot because they make some valid points.

Bigots always try to present themselves as respectable and reasonable 'just asking questions etc.'. Some of this is very transparent. Other times not. Like anything, if people want to convince someone of something they try and find the issues or points which someone might be sympathetic with.

So is every person who is against unvetted and unverified immigration a racist or far right bigot in your view?

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on February 03, 2023, 06:25:06 PM
The black people I know are sound but the ones I don't aren't. Rascist Whitey. Do us a favour and stay away wherever you are.

I never said I knew the guy

Gmac

Less than 3% of refugees ever return home so the government should have a plan in place for the present and the future  because once they are in the country they are not leaving .

HokeyPokey

Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on February 03, 2023, 06:20:36 PM

So is every person who is against unvetted and unverified immigration a racist or far right bigot in your view?

No. What would make you think that from what I wrote?

Itchy

Quote from: Gmac on February 03, 2023, 06:40:10 PM
Less than 3% of refugees ever return home so the government should have a plan in place for the present and the future  because once they are in the country they are not leaving .

Source?

general_lee

Quote from: Itchy on February 03, 2023, 08:42:50 PM

Source?
Graham Carey  ::)

screenexile

Source?

"Alternative facts"

Gabriel_Hurl

Source?

The UNHCR

tonto1888

Why would a refugee return? They have left their home country due to persecution of some kind

burdizzo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 04, 2023, 07:07:16 AM

Why would a refugee return? They have left their home country due to persecution of some kind

If the war ended, for example. Or if the regime changed.

Kidder81

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 04, 2023, 07:07:16 AM

Allegedly

Milltown Row2

This is a government problem but attacking these people is a lot easier
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea