Northern Ireland Football Team

Started by Feckitt, March 30, 2015, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
Whatever about the politics I would venture to suggest that not too many Republic players would get into the current North of Ireland team.You would have to concede that Michael O'Neill is enhancing his reputation as an excellent young manager,destined for a big club job in England.
Are you being serious? Evans I think would start for the Republic and a maybe for McAuley, Brunt and Davis. The rest aren't close IMO.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on March 30, 2015, 06:30:18 PM
I went to a Nordie Ireland game in Windsor Park in a Laois GAA hoodie one night.
Didn't have any problems.
Stayed in a house in Sandy Row the same night actually.

Well, you are from Queens County.

bennydorano

Just something about the ROI team that i cant warm to, been that way a long time too.

I'd definitely  be more interested in NI's fortunes, having said that i turned over to watch the game v Finland yesterday evening and my heart sank as they started GSTQ. I also think the GAWA carry on is a load of nonsense, how anybody can be arsed with that for 90 minutes is beyond me, open to correction but i think that was born out of keeping the billy boy songs drowned out???

I reckon they have to lose GSTQ if they want to attract the likes of me to games.

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on March 30, 2015, 07:40:16 PM
Just something about the ROI team that i cant warm to, been that way a long time too.

I'd definitely  be more interested in NI's fortunes, having said that i turned over to watch the game v Finland yesterday evening and my heart sank as they started GSTQ. I also think the GAWA carry on is a load of nonsense, how anybody can be arsed with that for 90 minutes is beyond me, open to correction but i think that was born out of keeping the billy boy songs drowned out???

I reckon they have to lose GSTQ if they want to attract the likes of me to games.
Significant number of support would be in favour of getting rid of GSTQ.  Although I understand your point of view, would it really put you off going to games?  After all, Unionist players and supporters are happy enough to see past Irish anthem at international  rugby matches in Dublin.

bennydorano

Petty and all as it seems, yes probably. Rugby has had several generations of getting used to their situation.

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on March 30, 2015, 09:11:55 PM
Petty and all as it seems, yes probably. Rugby has had several generations of getting used to their situation.
Fair enough.  By the way, GSTQ is a damp squib at Windsor with loads not singing.  Embarassing I think too perhaps for players from Unionist community when their teammate is looking at floor when anthem is being played.  You should give it a go when new stadium is built.  You might enjoy it.  If nothing else,you will get to see quality footballers on your doorstep for about £30 a ticket and support team from both sides of community.

trileacman

Quote from: michaelg on March 30, 2015, 09:35:39 PM
Fair enough.  By the way, GSTQ is a damp squib at Windsor with loads not singing.  Embarassing I think too perhaps for players from Unionist community when their teammate is looking at floor when anthem is being played.  You should give it a go when new stadium is built.  You might enjoy it.  If nothing else,you will get to see quality footballers on your doorstep for about £30 a ticket and support team from both sides of community.

Could you imagine the f**king rioting if they lost GSTQ? You think taking down the flag on city hall was bad, imagine how'd they take losing the anthem and all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

michaelg

Quote from: trileacman on March 30, 2015, 09:43:00 PM

Could you imagine the f**king rioting if they lost GSTQ? You think taking down the flag on city hall was bad, imagine how'd they take losing the anthem and all.
You might be surprised.  Significant proportion of support in favour of having a NI sporting anthem.

bennydorano

There's  a job for Gary Lightbody. No Ireland's call / Danny Boy shite either!

trileacman

Quote from: michaelg on March 30, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 30, 2015, 09:43:00 PM

You might be surprised.  Significant proportion of support in favour of having a NI sporting anthem.
True but I think the type of people who would be most upset would be those most likely not to have ventured into Windsor in donkey's years. I mean neither Wullie or Jim Allister are frequent visitors (I think) but they'd live for stirring up a it of shite.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Despite the make-up of the team and management over the years I can well remember the type of flags on display back in the day. Sure what northern Catholic wouldn't love to be standing amongst thousands of vermin singing The Billy Boys  ::)

michaelg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 30, 2015, 09:55:37 PM
Despite the make-up of the team and management over the years I can well remember the type of flags on display back in the day. Sure what northern Catholic wouldn't love to be standing amongst thousands of vermin singing The Billy Boys  ::)
Hate to disappoint you, but there are not, as you so eloquently put it, 'thousands of scum singin the Billy Boys.'  Have you been to a match or even watched one on TV in the last 10 - 15 years? 

Billy Boys etc was sung at internationals at Windsor during the worst of The Troubles.  Although no excuse, it was a fairly difficult time that we all lived through.  To the best of my knowledge, when 40+ thousand supporters regularly attended matches in Belfast, which presumably included many thousands of northern Catholics, there was no Billy Boys etc. In time, it would be great if more northern Catholics started to attend matches again.

sensethetone

I couldn't care less if they get through, it's the love in bbc ni and utv will have with the ni soccer team that'll curdle my crap.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: michaelg on March 30, 2015, 10:08:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 30, 2015, 09:55:37 PM
Hate to disappoint you, but there are not, as you so eloquently put it, 'thousands of scum singin the Billy Boys.'  Have you been to a match or even watched one on TV in the last 10 - 15 years? 

Billy Boys etc was sung at internationals at Windsor during the worst of The Troubles.  Although no excuse, it was a fairly difficult time that we all lived through.  To the best of my knowledge, when 40+ thousand supporters regularly attended matches in Belfast, which presumably included many thousands of northern Catholics, there was no Billy Boys etc. In time, it would be great if more northern Catholics started to attend matches again.
"Vermin" was the term I used and I probably haven't seen a match in years. The same people that sang those "party songs" are still the same people going therefore the songs may have changed but the sentiments towards their nationalist neighbours will remain. So forgive us if we don't rush down Tate's Ave to the next match.

An Watcher

Can't believe the nonsense I'm reading on here. Wearing a gaa hoodie to Windsor park and it not being too bad. Good luck to anyone going to watch games there. It's only in very recent years that the IFA have tried to make Windsor more welcoming. I would have had more respect for them if they moved their ground to a different area. What respect does playing gstq show to baird, mcginn etc. Catch yerself on. U wouldn't have to scratch too far beneath the surface to find the Windsor of 30/40 years ago.