Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: armaghniac on August 12, 2019, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 12, 2019, 09:53:43 AM
Shockingly poor attendance. Pricing and fixture build up have to be looked at. Not many can afford to pay those prices week after week, especially if trying to bring your family.  Travel cost on top of it all too.

To be honest, I think the week after week thing is a bit of a red herring. Most people who went to the Super 8 games also went to the Semi FInal, these are relatively hardcore fans. Increased attendance at semi-finals comes from people who don't go to every county game, which brings in family members of regulars, people who attend club games, those who watch on TV and a lot of neutrals and people tenuously connected with the county. I think the poor visual quality of many games and the lack of competition is the real killer.

Costs of travel etc are no more than ever they were. As the hurling shows, if the product is good and the results unpredictable then people will turn out for the games.

Bingo. Hardcore GAA support is modest enough. It's the neutrals and the bandwagon that fill grounds.

The shite looking football has turned off the neutrals.

And the inevitability of Dublin has killed the bandwagon in almost all counties (except Mayo it seems - they're weird).

This year's final has the novelty of the 'drive for five' and will sell out. People should worry about what happens next, though. There's the very real likelihood of Dublin winning 7 and 8 in a half full stadium. That'll be the death of intercounty football, if it's allowed to happen as if everything is grand.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Tyrdub

Not sure if this should be in the WTF?????? page

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0211/1114542-gaa-announce-record-revenue-of-73-9-million-for-2019/

I know the money gets filtered out, either correctly or incorrectly, to the counties/ clubs, but f*ck me surely they can now start to reduce some ticket prices

armaghniac

Quote from: Tyrdub on February 11, 2020, 12:58:50 PM

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0211/1114542-gaa-announce-record-revenue-of-73-9-million-for-2019/

I know the money gets filtered out, either correctly or incorrectly, to the counties/ clubs, but f*ck me surely they can now start to reduce some ticket prices

I suspect many who complain of ticket prices also do not bother buying them in advance to get the €5 off.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tyrdub

Quote from: armaghniac on February 11, 2020, 01:02:25 PM

I suspect many who complain of ticket prices also do not bother buying them in advance to get the €5 off.

true, but there are also lots of people, myself included, who go to matches week in week out,still costs a fortune

rosnarun

Quote from: Tyrdub on February 11, 2020, 01:19:01 PM

true, but there are also lots of people, myself included, who go to matches week in week out,still costs a fortune
It does cost a fortune but the entrance fee is far from the reason alone. as an exiled mayo supporter every game is an away day (until offaly or kildare get their arse in gear) and so there food , travel and sometimes overnights involved . but its great crack and that's what I choose to do no one is making me
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Taylor

Quote from: rosnarun on February 12, 2020, 11:41:39 AM

It does cost a fortune but the entrance fee is far from the reason alone. as an exiled mayo supporter every game is an away day (until offaly or kildare get their arse in gear) and so there food , travel and sometimes overnights involved . but its great crack and that's what I choose to do no one is making me

The point many are making is it is well for you able to choose.

The GAA have made it impossible for some to attend (even when they want to)

rosnarun

Quote from: Taylor on February 12, 2020, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 12, 2020, 11:41:39 AM

The point many are making is it is well for you able to choose.

The GAA have made it impossible for some to attend (even when they want to)
and my point is that one of the last things that would make me stop is the admittance price and that's the only thing the GAA can control, 15 to go to a league game is very good value and kids are only a 5 so 2 adulta and 2 kids the 40 quid hadly a kings ransom now add a trip to the shops for drinks and sweets and a meal on the way home and that pushes the bill up 

fearsiuil

Would be interesting to see what are the attendances at various fixtures this championship.

Mayo Galway in MacHale Park was 24,557
Sligo Roscommon in Markievicz 6,059
Galway Kilkenny in Pearse Stadium 14,034

Maroon Manc

Quote from: fearsiuil on May 03, 2022, 11:19:57 AM
Would be interesting to see what are the attendances at various fixtures this championship.

Looked like there was more then 14,034 in Salthill.

Captain Scarlet

Kildare v Louth had 5308 I'm told. Again, as I said in the Leinster thread, there seems to be this talk of provincial grounds but they are not easy to get to and are not covered.
So a poxy day like Sunday keeps many away with only one stand for cover. Leinster Council should have went with home and away for the semis and be damned. Kildare v Westmeath would have nicely packed Mullingar and the Dubs coming to Navan would have a great crowd too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2022, 11:29:17 AM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40863065.html

Stand was full, looked to be loads of space behind goals. Wikipedia has current capacity at 26,197.

Interestingly wiki gives MacHale Park 25,369 capacity - was loads of room for more for Galway game considering attendance given at 24,557.

Blowitupref

Quote from: fearsiuil on May 03, 2022, 01:20:47 PM

Stand was full, looked to be loads of space behind goals. Wikipedia has current capacity at 26,197.

Interestingly wiki gives MacHale Park 25,369 capacity - was loads of room for more for Galway game considering attendance given at 24,557.

Not sure where wiki got that capacity from. The previous Mayo v Galway championship game played in MacHale Park in 2018 had 29449 in attendance.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rosnarun

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 03, 2022, 03:34:07 PM
Quote from: fearsiuil on May 03, 2022, 01:20:47 PM

Not sure where wiki got that capacity from. The previous Mayo v Galway championship game played in MacHale Park in 2018 had 29449 in attendance.

the capacity of Mchale park was cut a couple of years back , fir health and safety dispite it being a hell of a lot safer than when 30K plus attended. it coulld eaily fitted anothe 10k against galway stand had loads of spaces and behind both Goals.
So leagues games look as full and they would announce 11 thousand

Rossfan

There are actual capacities, then there are allowed H&S capacities which have to be complied with.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Spoke to a guard at McHale park the last day and he said they've been told to expect 29,000 at the game.