Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slippery dodger

What attendances are people predicting for the upcoming league games? Personally, I think we will see record crowds this year across the country. Starting off in Cork in the new PUC with Cork Tipp and Cork Kilkenny under lights should be hitting 15,000-20,000.
There have been some strong crowds already in the Preseason Competitions such as
5,000 in Enniskillen for Fermanagh vs. Tyrone
3000 in the Hyde yesterday for Mayo/Ros
3200 at Gaelic Grounds for Clare v Limerick

The O'Byrne Cup final will more than likely now see a poor attendance on Sunday as it's on in Portlaois and is being covered on TG4. Any predictions on the attendance front for the coming year?

T Fearon

I predict the Dubs will have a large following,and both All Ireland Finals will be sell outs.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 19, 2018, 07:08:33 AM
I predict the Dubs will have a large following,and both All Ireland Finals will be sell outs.
Everyone in the Free State is a sell out.
If the All Ireland took place in Belfast there would be no sell outs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Will there be anyone paying in in Tuam Sunday?
How many at Leitrim/Sligo in Prentyville th'other night?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Football attendances will be pretty low as the consequences of GAA financial doping kicks in further.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 19, 2018, 09:15:29 AM
Football attendances will be pretty low as the consequences of GAA financial doping kicks in further.

I think Munster Hurling attendances will suffer on a per game basis, because of the round robin. However, as they usually do, they'll focus on the top line number which will look to have increased because you have so many extra games.

seafoid

I think it is also economic
And the championship is boring

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 09:49:16 AM

I think Munster Hurling attendances will suffer on a per game basis, because of the round robin. However, as they usually do, they'll focus on the top line number which will look to have increased because you have so many extra games.
At least you might get some full houses now that Clare and Waterford can host their home fixtures again.

seafoid

Total attendances are down 28% since 2001.
The GAA has really missed Galway.
Per match attendances are way down too.

AZOffaly

True. Full small houses are better than half empty big ones.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 10:06:21 AM

Is that true? I seem to see every year that total attendances are the same or slightly more than the previous year? Actually that can't be right seafoid. Sure the qualifiers came in then, and all those extra matches have to have seen attendances increase.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 10:08:11 AM

Is that true? I seem to see every year that total attendances are the same or slightly more than the previous year? Actually that can't be right seafoid. Sure the qualifiers came in then, and all those extra matches have to have seen attendances increase.
Average attendance perhaps, though when you think to 2001 there were serious crowds at the matches, the hurling games in Munster were near full if not full, Leinster was still holding up at KK were only starting their utter dominance, and on the football side the crowds were quite good too, provincial championships were still drawing serious crowds and especially with the novelty of the qualifiers. I remember the Sligo-Galway games around that time and Markievicz was fairly packed, both counties have lost that large (well large by our standards) following and we're hardly alone in that.

seafoid

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 19, 2018, 10:13:46 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 10:08:11 AM

Average attendance perhaps, though when you think to 2001 there were serious crowds at the matches, the hurling games in Munster were near full if not full, Leinster was still holding up at KK were only starting their utter dominance, and on the football side the crowds were quite good too, provincial championships were still drawing serious crowds and especially with the novelty of the qualifiers. I remember the Sligo-Galway games around that time and Markievicz was fairly packed, both counties have lost that large (well large by our standards) following and we're hardly alone in that.
2008 and the crash must have hurt the numbers. Football potential is very concentrated. No strong Ulster team (sorry, Tyrone)
Most of the matches are not that interesting enough to draw people to grounds in fairness 

AZOffaly

I did a bit of digging. Total attendances are down every year (in football) since 2007 or so. There was a massive spike in 2001/2 after the qualifiers were introduced (as you'd expect).

Since the Leinster Championship has turned into a procession, the total numbers have slipped 28%.

Hurling is pretty steady, and of course this year, with the Super 8s and the Round Robin in munster, the GAA can point to the top level number and say 'See, people love the way we do stuff'.

The average attendances have largely been slumping since the qualifiers were brought in, which was one of my arguments against the qualifiers. The bank doesn't count averages though, it just wants to see the total revenue.

Even at that though, it's noticeable that the total figure has been declining steadily since about 2006, after the initial qualifier bounce, to the extent that the total figure in 2016 was 788,746, with 60 games, whereas in 2000, the final pre-qualifier year, the total was 686,553, with only 35 games.

CJ2017

Surely if Dublin make the Top 8 this year the away/outside Croke park game would be a sell out.
I believe the group this year if Dublin won Leinster would involve the Ulster Champs,
Munster Runner up (or team that beats them in qualifiers) and Connacht Runners up (or
team that beats them)