Passport almost expired

Started by Mid Mon, September 25, 2009, 12:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Mon

There's a group of us head to Munich for the weekend coming back on Tuesday, problem is one of the lad's passport expires on Thursday, Will he be allowed to travel?

illdecide

Quote from: Mid Mon on September 25, 2009, 12:27:21 PM
There's a group of us head to Munich for the weekend coming back on Tuesday, problem is one of the lad's passport expires on Thursday, Will he be allowed to travel?

As long as he's back before it expires then yes he can go, he can also go b4 it expires but if the date is up b4 he's due to come home then he's in a spot of baw
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Final Whistle

Got to Budapest and back on an out of date passport. No one said boo. Small print of passport says you can not travel within x amount of months of expiry.

Stack all passports in bundle and hand them to desk girl together, they wont pay too much attention.

under the bar

You do not need a passport to travel within the EU just an acceptable form of ID.    1000's of Spanish travel to UK/Ireland every year on National ID cards and do not have passports. 

As we don't have National ID Card here a passport is considered the most acceptable alternative.   A recently expired passport IS still an acceptable form of ID.

charlie stubbs

where is onl to spice this thread up!

fitzroyalty

Quote from: charlie stubbs on September 25, 2009, 02:53:22 PM
where is onl to spice this thread up!
hear you had a similar problem with a student card  ;)

armaghniac

You are as likely to have a problem with the airline as the immigration people. Outside the EU a passport within 6 months would generally not be acceptable and airlines may have this requirement.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: under the bar on September 25, 2009, 01:30:09 PM
You do not need a passport to travel within the EU just an acceptable form of ID.    1000's of Spanish travel to UK/Ireland every year on National ID cards and do not have passports. 

As we don't have National ID Card here a passport is considered the most acceptable alternative.   A recently expired passport IS still an acceptable form of ID.
Incorrect.

Spaniards can travel to most countries in the EU with their national ID and without a passport - but not to the UK or Ireland. They must have a passport. The UK opted out of the "no passport within EU" lark, and we had to follow them because of our border.

A passport is required for Irish people to travel anywhere other than the UK. And if flying to the UK on Ryanair, a passport will be the only form of ID accepted from next month.

ardal

Quote from: Hound on September 25, 2009, 04:51:32 PM
Quote from: under the bar on September 25, 2009, 01:30:09 PM

Incorrect.

Spaniards can travel to most countries in the EU with their national ID and without a passport - but not to the UK or Ireland. They must have a passport. The UK opted out of the "no passport within EU" lark, and we had to follow them because of our border.

A passport is required for Irish people to travel anywhere other than the UK. And if flying to the UK on Ryanair, a passport will be the only form of ID accepted from next month.

If this happened in the last few days, then I'll accept your superior knowledge. Othererwise you CAN travel within the EU without a passport, but do need a valid ID (Driving license, National ID card etc), unless the private company you are travelling with (Ryanair for example, but not the likes of aerlingus, spanair, air france etc) specify that they; as a private company, will only accept passports as a form of ID. Border control, as it exists, must accept all valid forms of ID if they are within the EU.

Orior

Is Poland in the EU?

My passport is due to expire in April next year, so i'm down into the last six months of validity.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteIs Poland in the EU?

Only those bits not seized by the Soviet Union in 1945.

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on October 20, 2011, 01:40:49 PM
Is Poland in the EU?

My passport is due to expire in April next year, so i'm down into the last six months of validity.

But sure if you apply for a new passport it will only be valid from when your other one expires!

armaghniac

QuoteBut sure if you apply for a new passport it will only be valid from when your other one expires!

Not so.

muppet

Quote from: Orior on October 20, 2011, 01:40:49 PM
Is Poland in the EU?

Doesn't matter either way. You need a passport.

MWWSI 2017

upmonaghansayswe

Does it matter whether you have to go to the check-in desk for your boarding card or have the printed boarding pass with the barcode?

I was in Liverpool a couple of summers ago, passport expired a couple of days after i came home.. I assumed it was fine, but when i went to boarding at Dublin (didn't check in) the attendant scanned the boarding pass and the red light flashed! and kind of joked saying "we`ll let you through this time".. At boarding on the way home the attendant at boarding just reminded me that it was soon out of date..