Doire v An Dun June 7th in Celtic Park (21 years on from the El Classico.)

Started by rosskarr, May 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: interested on May 21, 2015, 02:56:19 PM
  Looking at the Derry Club Board and there seems to be plenty
of CCC issues going on. Any County player involvement that could
help Down if they get suspended? 8)

Nah don't think it.

A complete lottery this one if either side has a good day they could tank the other... having said that both sides have had a lot of poor days in recent years come Championship. Bookies have Derry slight favourites probably because we were in Div 1 but it's really 50/50.

Actually I think it has the potential to be a decent game I'll probably go to it.

theticklemister

Na no county players involved; just referees locked in toilets and the such.

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on May 21, 2015, 04:13:33 PM
Actually I think it has the potential to be a decent game I'll probably go to it.

A Derry supporter going to a championship game!! Take a selfie, people will never believe it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebuzz

Looking forward to a good day's craic in the Maiden City. Hopefully the right Derry will show up :)

oakleaflad

Quote from: theticklemister on May 21, 2015, 08:29:04 PM

Na no county players involved; just referees locked in toilets and the such.
This didn't happen. No county players involved.

As for the match I would be disappointed if we lost but not surprised. Derry and Down are similar in that if they turn up they can be a match for most teams in the country but if they don't they can be poor enough. It should be one of the more entertaining games this year anyway so I might even go to it as well ;)

shawshank

entertaining, be pleasantly surprised. Have you not noticed both teams have been playing with 14 men behind the ball in the NFL. Are you expecting something different?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: shawshank on May 22, 2015, 12:21:00 PM
entertaining, be pleasantly surprised. Have you not noticed both teams have been playing with 14 men behind the ball in the NFL. Are you expecting something different?

Looks like somebody has been reading the columns of Calm O'Rourke.

quiganmaster

Not sure which way this will swing, looking forward to it nonetheless. Derrys line up is difficult to predict with the slaughtneil boys not playing in the league, a few players coming back from injury and a few away off on their annual summer injury trip. I think it will be something like this

Mallon

Duffy             Rodgers          Mc bride

Sean Leo        Chrissy           Johnson

Lynch        Doc

Lynn                Kielt              Mc Faul 

Heron            Skinner            O Boyle

Any thoughts? Difficult to know if he'll start Kielt but anyone who can kick scores from 50m+ surely could be carried, especially against a blanket which we struggle with. Will be an interesting full forward line with skinner and oboyle capable of causing all sorts of problems, assuming he stays in the square. Any idea on the down team?

T O Hare

If we can contain Skinner then I would be hopeful of a victory but he's hard to handle. Any word who will mark him??
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Real Talk

Mallon

Duffy            Holly        Mc bride

Chrissy       McAtamney       Johnson

Heavron      Lynch        Doc    Sean Leo

Skinner           Heron                             

O Boyle            Lynn

Subs:  McNicholl,  K McKeigue, B Rogers, McFaul, Kielt, Murphy? Younger McGoldrick  etc

Have limited knowledge of who is injured/not available so that's what I have come up with also a stab at the system which might be played.  Can't see Doc lasting for more that 40 mins but he needs to start.   

5 Sams

Quote from: T O Hare on June 01, 2015, 08:59:24 PM
If we can contain Skinner then I would be hopeful of a victory but he's hard to handle. Any word who will mark him??
I would give Garvey a rattle at him but Mc Corry probably wont start him.
The Aristocrat Years

Wildweasel74

Holly not make it injured,  P Bradley already out, Doherty possible as well, I expect Johnson in the corner, with both McGoldricks either wing. Haveron will be centre half forward, Lynch probably in midfield,  Not sure McGuckin fit enough with him bouncing back and forth to England. I actually play O`Boyle Full forward and Skinner work off him as O`Boyle not really a corner forward. Not blooding McGilligan Em Bradley, T O`Brien  etc at Midfield or getting Bell back  during the league left options here thin.

DennistheMenace

Derry's midfield seem to be cursed. Remember the same thing 2 years ago.

Who is Down's best man marker? I expect Skinner will want to put on a show having missed last year.

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 01, 2015, 09:07:46 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on June 01, 2015, 08:59:24 PM
I would give Garvey a rattle at him but Mc Corry probably wont start him.

Garvey is reportedly injured.
Darren O'Hagan is the man for that task.

Down Follower

I think Derrys defensive system is much more advanced than Downs.  Any team that hold Dublin to 8 points is capable of holding to at least the same if not less.  Over the past 10 years, Down have floundered against defensive systems.  Open it up and we can play football with the best of them but shut it down and we are in trouble.  McCorry has been trying to change things but I dont think it has ticked yet.  Hopefully, hopefully, Sunday is the day.