Doire v An Dun June 7th in Celtic Park (21 years on from the El Classico.)

Started by rosskarr, May 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

This has to be started sometime.

lynchbhoy

How will Derry manage to balls this one up this year??!!

Not saying Down aren't good. You just never know what Derry will conspire to do on any given day!!

rrhf

21 years.  That derry team had the poorest forward line of any all Ireland winning team but a great midfield and defense. Down had a much superior team with much more potential, and that showed that day.

Club Rossa

Aristo 60

Not huge underdogs just underdogs as they were up against the then All Ireland Champions. Martin McHugh walked past our car during the 1pm tay and sandwiches and he told us Derry would win.

Skill and power a plenty. I'd say they were the two biggest teams in Ireland then too. Bar a few like wee James and McKeever, 6ft+ was the norm. Oh what we'd give ..... :-[

The chips in Dungiven on the way home have never tasted as sweet since.

rosskarr

Yes 'Sur'.   It was pints in Dungiven for my da and his mates that day.

lenny

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 05, 2015, 03:14:40 PM
How will Derry manage to balls this one up this year??!!

Not saying Down aren't good. You just never know what Derry will conspire to do on any given day!!

Down will win by 5-7 points. Derry are going backwards at the moment.

Wildweasel74

Not sure what way this game work out, couldnt honestly name the team at the minute but i hope E McGuckin and Skinner play up front. If Doherty plays in midfield Derry will win

JoG2

Patsy is bucked in various parts of his body so midfield  as per usual is up in the air. Our team if fit is good on paper, but nobody really knows what we'll get this year...no change there! 

Wildweasel74

Patsy not be ready for the down game though Derry will look at Lynch, McGilligan, O`Boyle, Kielt, or E Bradley to partner them.

snoopdog

Even though Derry were relegated, they will have learnt more from playing Dublin, Kerry, cork,Donegal and Mayo than down qwill have coming out of Div 2.
Derry are obviously favourites. Like Derry people us Down folk never know if Jackyl or Hyde will turn up. Hoping Marty Clarke will be in the asquad by June 7th, would be a great asset to spring from the bench.

imtommygunn

Quote from: snoopdog on May 06, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
Even though Derry were relegated, they will have learnt more from playing Dublin, Kerry, cork,Donegal and Mayo than down qwill have coming out of Div 2.
Derry are obviously favourites. Like Derry people us Down folk never know if Jackyl or Hyde will turn up. Hoping Marty Clarke will be in the asquad by June 7th, would be a great asset to spring from the bench.

I don't know how you make derry favourites. I'd be surprised if Derry win this.

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 06, 2015, 11:45:09 AM

I don't know how you make derry favourites. I'd be surprised if Derry win this.

there wouldn't be too many surprised either way I wouldn't have thought

interested

Looking at the Derry Club Board and there seems to be plenty
of CCC issues going on. Any County player involvement that could
help Down if they get suspended? 8)

Esmarelda

If it's the former, at least the national anthem will be interesting  ;)