Top GPA members to run for Dail Eireann

Started by stephenite, November 14, 2006, 04:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

This is certainly one way of trying to coerce the powers that be into submission - however I was under the impression that GPA membership was open only to current Inter-County players. The playesr that I have highlighted in BOLD below are now retired, so can they still be members?

From Todays Indo - Shane Scanlon :

SEVERAL leading GAA stars are poised to take the unprecedented step of standing in next year's general election as the row over sports grants between the Government and the Gaelic Players Association (GPA) escalates.

A high-profile member of the GPA has confirmed to the Irish Independent that there's growing support within the players' organisation for the plan to run a number of well-known hurlers and footballers in marginal constituencies.

This drastic step is being considered in the wake of Fianna Fáil's failure to give direct backing to the sports grants initiative proposed by the GPA and the GAA.

Were such household names as Kildare legend Glenn Ryan, Kerry stalwart Seamus Moynihan, Kilkenny superstar DJ Carey, and Cork hero Seán Óg Ó hAilpÍn to allow their names into the Dáil hat, they have the potential to inflict considerable damage on Fianna Fáil.

There's widespread anger among players following last Friday's GPA Banquet where Taoiseach Bertie Ahern - who was the guest of honour - gave his response to the mounting tension between the Government and the players' body.

"A lot of senior players were furious with Bertie's fudge on this issue the other night," said the GPA member, who didn't wish to be identified.

"We're fed up with the string of conditions being placed on players getting grants. It looks to us like we're being given the run-around. I think it's time the current GPA officers started to up the ante. There were a lot of us putting pressure on them last week and I believe there are a number of players prepared to stand."

When contacted last night, GPA boss Dessie Farrell was giving little away, but significantly, the ex-Dublin forward didn't deny the report.

"We have made no official plans to stand candidates in the election," said Farrell. "Many of our members have been approached by opposition parties to stand alright, but that's par for the course.

"I've heard the suggestions, but I think someone is jumping the gun and I'd like to know where he's getting his information," added Farrell.

Farrell added: "If I could borrow a phrase from Sports Minister John O'Donoghue's statement last week: I'm ruling nothing in or out."

Addressing players at the GPA awards ceremony on Friday, the Taoiseach seemed to hurl the ball back into the GAA's court on the grants issue, linking it to a potential move towards semi-professionalism.

"The role of the Government is rather to empower the governance structures for individual sports not to supplant them," Ahern said.

While the Government would have difficulties with funding a scheme of payments for inter-county players on a 'pay-for-play' basis - not least because of its down-stream consequences for other organisations across the spectrum of sport - the Sports Minister has signalled his readiness to explore options under which additional funding could be made available to the GAA for specified infrastructural purposes.

"The consequence of such an approach would be to free up resources within the Association which would then become available to enable County Boards put more resources into addressing player welfare issues."

However, this elaborate response has been viewed by the GPA grassroots as a classic political sidestep.

full back

This will give politicians something to mull over.
As a matter of interest, how would the players/ex-players get on in the elections?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: full back on November 14, 2006, 08:13:51 AM
As a matter of interest, how would the players/ex-players get on in the elections?

I think Glenn Ryan would do very well in South Kildare, Jack Wall the Labour TD got elected on the back of his run as Chairman of the County Board, however the TD most under threat would be Seán Ó Fearghail, not the strongest candidate and outside Kildare Town would not be a 1st preference. Interestingly enough Glenn and Seán and former teaching colleagues....
#newbridgeornowhere

dubnut

Would they retire from the GPA?
We always hear complaints about how the GAA involves itself in politics.

amallon

I think it would be a bad idea, there are more important issues in the upcoming election than getting a couple of grand each for a few hundred GAA players.  I can understand people standing on the save our hospital ticket but not looking grants for GAA players.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Lar Naparka

Nah!.. Not a good idea at all.
Trouble is for one-issue candidates is that they soon find out that there many other matters that they have to take a stand on and that are not even remotely connected to the issue they entered politics for in the first place. Some GPA figures may be much respected and supported figures in their own community but when they have to takes stands on issues of importance to their electorates, cracks in that support will soon begin to appear.
After all, what the GPA is after is essentially a personal matter and of direct concern only to their own members. Potential voters will want to know how they stand on crime, employment, healthcare and a host of other non-GPA issues.
IMO, they'd be far better off identifying constituencies where sitting backbench government TDs are perceived to be at risk of losing their seats. I would concentrate on organising lobbying campaigns on those vulnerable TDs and forget about entering the murky world of politics directly.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Onlooker

I doubt if the GPA are considering running General Election candidates.  I would not take that article too seriously.  It really is the 'silly season' as far as some journalists are concerned.  I suppose it is easier to write that kind of an article than make an informed comment on the Provincial Club Championships.

magpie seanie

this elaborate response has been viewed by the GPA grassroots as a classic political sidestep

Paper really does not refuse ink!

lynchbhoy

how many people would 'waste ' their vote on these candidates if they run with no other mandate or purpose than to get money for GAA players

it could be a very humbling for the GPA if they run on such an isolated ticket.

Allied to another political party though , this could bring them into contention...

thegael

their natural home would seem to be with the pds.

lynchbhoy

thegael

well we both know that.

but to run on such a one dimensional self serving ticket makes them natural pd types.

thegael

also did someone ever tell these guys that they are free to choose to play intercounty and free to choose not to play?

playing gaelic games is a choice.

choose to play or choose not to play.

the gael takes no prisoners.

dubnut

In fairness to them, and I love the GAA passionately.
But there are more important issues to spend your vote on that tax concessions for players, no matter how strongly you feel about the situation.
I would be more worried about the odds on me getting killed on the way home on the roads, or the future of the North etc etc etc.
The political stage is NOT the place for the GPA.

criostlinn

keep the gaa out of politics ... oh yeah except john o mahony