Rule changes to improve football

Started by Rossfan, November 22, 2017, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Seeing as the International Rules thread is turning into a discussion on the playing rules maybe the subject should have its own thread.
I'll start by saying :-

Enforce the four steps rule rigourously
Restrict throwball
Abolish throw points
Black card to include cynically holding on to the ball when the opposition get a free.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

7steps
2 refs
1 timeclock
1tmo
4 hand pass max before kicking
0 Mickey Harte style of play

Also don't allow the ball back to your own half when in opponents half.

Keep the mark from kick outs and introduce a 40 yard line that kick outs must pass.

Maybe 2 points for shots outside the 50..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Orchard park

Quote from: Rossfan on November 22, 2017, 01:24:47 PM
Seeing as the International Rules thread is turning into a discussion on the playing rules maybe the subject should have its own thread.

Restrict throwball
Abolish throw points
Black card to include cynically holding on to the ball when the opposition get a free.

would add clock and TMO into those. I firmly believe implementation of the 4 steps would  lead to a faster freer game

TabClear

Allow a player to "play on" after a foul by tweaking the advantage rules to the introduction of a AFL style rule where the fouled player can elect to run on, fist pass etc even after the ref has blew the whistle. Might stop some of these cynical fouls designed to allow a team to get back in position

macdanger2

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 22, 2017, 01:39:03 PM
7steps
2 refs
1 timeclock
1tmo

Keep the mark from kick outs and introduce a 40 yard line that kick outs must pass.

Wouldn't have a problem with most of those but the one in bold would be a disaster, teams would just fall back to the halfway line to defend; if you carry it over, you'd get swarmed, if you kick it, they'd have plenty of men back

Esmarelda

Three seconds instead of four steps. Everyone gets the same time regardless of speed and length of stride.

Two refs where possible, i.e. intercounty. Refs up with the play making more informed decisions. Ref at the end of the field where play isn't taking place better positioned to see off the ball stuff.

tonto1888

I like the two refs idea myself but as has been said I don't think the not being allowed back into your own half suggestion would work

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

penalty and one mionure added for synical play design to play out the clock.
I think some called it the black ball rule  I think the Cavanagh/Costello  rule sounds better

the TMO and Visable clock have made a calls of rugby and only succeeded in making it more cynical.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 22, 2017, 03:03:09 PM
One solo.

No, soloing is a great skill. Whatever about having a hand pass count, leave soloing alone.

Throw ball

Quote from: Rossfan on November 22, 2017, 01:24:47 PM

Restrict throwball
Abolish throw points

What did I do on You! ;D

befair

Something to stop the mass defence; see this strangling the game at all levels now. Don't know the best way to approach it, though

thewobbler

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 22, 2017, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on November 22, 2017, 01:39:03 PM
7steps
2 refs
1 timeclock
1tmo

Wouldn't have a problem with most of those but the one in bold would be a disaster, teams would just fall back to the halfway line to defend; if you carry it over, you'd get swarmed, if you kick it, they'd have plenty of men back

I don't know about that. Keep-ball is more possible under the current system because you can switch flanks when the opposition crowdsout one of them - as the whole play generally moves across rather than up and down. But two carefully positioned forwards around the 45 and the 21 on the other flank would seriously limit that option in terms of playing keep-ball in your own half. So you'd be forced forward.

BennyCake

Quote from: befair on November 22, 2017, 05:24:37 PM
Something to stop the mass defence; see this strangling the game at all levels now. Don't know the best way to approach it, though

Less numbers.

Dubhaltach

3 changes that need to happen:

1: Time clock. I know there were plans to trial this a couple of years ago but the powers that be decided against it. Can anyone remember why? Let's be honest, timing as it currently stands is a complete farce. When's the last time a tight match hasn't descended into time-wasting, injury time handbags? Now that they're doing away with (most) replays, they might be more open to a clock.

2. Automatic yellow for the prevention of a quick free kick. This is still widespread, moving the ball forward is not enough of a deterrent.

3. Enforce the steps rule. Either enforce it or get rid of the rule.