Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 01:36:50 PM
It should be a secret ballot so players can get away with weasely formulations like the one I mentioned?

Secret ballots are normal practise in trade unions, which is the closest example of this I can think of.

It prevents bullying of the individual underlings from above.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Who is going to protect managers from being bullied? Is anyone going to take ownership for the slanders that regularly spring up whenever there is a heave against a manager?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 01:53:01 PM
Who is going to protect managers from being bullied? Is anyone going to take ownership for the slanders that regularly spring up whenever there is a heave against a manager?

If the manager is being bullied by the players, then he should be on his bike anyway.

It is a bit like protests against politicians. They are supposed to be leaders, banning such protests never really works out well in the long run.

MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I'm not saying 'protests' - that's an overwrought way of describing it - should be banned. I'm saying people should take ownership for their own point of view. We have a situation where the players have power without responsibility.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 02:07:48 PM
I'm not saying 'protests' - that's an overwrought way of describing it - should be banned. I'm saying people should take ownership for their own point of view. We have a situation where the players have power without responsibility.

We have a situation where managers are rewarded for the work of unpaid underlings.
MWWSI 2017

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Zulu on November 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and walk away.
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and kick them off the panel.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2015, 02:09:57 PM

We have a situation where managers are rewarded for the work of unpaid underlings.

If that is what is happening, they should say as much.

seafoid

I hope this doesn't turn into Cork redux. That was immensely damaging for the old firm crowd  who haven't won an all-Ireland since.
The last thing Galway need is a long, bitter struggle.

also a pity the players didn't have the same fight in the last 20 minutes of this year's all Ireland. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 16, 2015, 02:11:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and walk away.
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and kick them off the panel.

This demonstrates perfectly that the players do not have the power, that is held entirely by the management.

Unless there is something wrong with the management.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2015, 02:09:57 PM

If that is what is happening, they should say as much.

Look, often these debates turn into absolutes whereby everything is black or white and blame is apportioned 100% to one side or the other.

The reality is always different, with right and wrong in both parties.

But there is a very unique view in the GAA world of these matters.

Goa players play for nothing - fine
Professionals get paid - fine
Gaa players should know their place and just get on with it - not fine with me
Professional players slyly agitate via their agents - no one seems to have a problem with this
Gaa manager faces a player revolt - universal reaction from CB, media and many supporters is to attack the players
Soccer manager faces a player revolt (which is almost never talked about publicly by players) - universal: 'he has lost the dressing room - time to go'

Why all the double standards? Particularly against those offering their services for free, while little comment is directed at those getting paid to 'get on with it'.
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

In terms of advancing the discussion, can anyone reference some examples in the world of professional soccer where the players got the manager fired?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on November 16, 2015, 04:55:19 PM
In terms of advancing the discussion, can anyone reference some examples in the world of professional soccer where the players got the manager fired?

Brian Clough at Leeds off the top of my head.
MWWSI 2017