Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Why do you need special shoes to ride a bike? And multi-coloured ganseys?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Hardy on February 19, 2010, 04:20:53 PM

Whay do you need special shoes to kick a ball or dance on ice??  I blame the GPA.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

thebigfella

You don't but I use clipless pedals which are more efficient as you can pull on the pedal as well as push. It actually makes huge difference on long cycles.

delboy

Proper cycling shoes with cleats allow much better power transmission and you are less likely to end up with biomechanical foot problems due to the pressure applied whilst cycling which can be a problem if putting in big miles with trainers and toe clips.

Jimmy

Cheers for the tips is lads. Some helpful stuff. My first preference would be to get a second hand bike around the £200-£300 mark but there not as easy to find as thought they would be. When doing my reserch and trying to find out how much everything would be, it was costing about £600 to get everything. Don't think I'll be doing that right away. As someone mentioned, the best way is to pick the gear up as you go along and get more seriours.

thebigfella

Quote from: delboy on February 19, 2010, 05:05:34 PM

Proper cycling shoes with cleats allow much better power transmission and you are less likely to end up with biomechanical foot problems due to the pressure applied whilst cycling which can be a problem if putting in big miles with trainers and toe clips.

Someone has learned to you copy and paste

Trevor Hill

Quote from: The Hammer on February 19, 2010, 04:09:42 PM
I thot I'd love the cycling, but after a while a grew board !! Off road running/fell running I think it is known as.. Its a good ol buzz. May even compete at it soon

Ive been running (off road) for a few years. Really enjoy it, even though it can be tough at times. I usually do 6 or 7 miles about 5 or 6 times a week, weather and work permitting.
I cycled on Sunday for the first time in about 15 years, it was tough going, don't remember it being that hard. Had good cycling shorts on as well and I was still walking like John Wayne on Tuesday. It was only 10 miles.  :( Ive committed to doing a triathlon this year and I was only worried about the swim.
I`ll probably be back out again tomorrow and Sunday and I`ll get a few evenings in as soon as its bright enough, but its harder than I remember.

Hardy

delboy

Quote from: thebigfella on February 19, 2010, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: delboy on February 19, 2010, 05:05:34 PM

Someone has learned to you copy and paste

Copy and paste what? Sorry to disappoint but that was from me own wee brain box and was written while you must have been posting. For what its worth i don't buy into the upward stroke thing as a propulsive force except maybe for top/elite cyclists and even then im sceptical. IMO most of the efficencies for average bods are a result of non-slippage on the pedal and smoother/improved cadence which is helped by the relatively small force applied on the upward stroke which in turn allows a more efficent and powerful downward stroke which actually moves the bike forward. 

The bit about the biomechanical problems is worth a mention, i occasionally suffered from sore feet (arches etc) when i used trainers, the move to proper and much stiffer cycling shoes helped greatly in that respect.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Jimmy on February 19, 2010, 05:17:50 PM
Cheers for the tips is lads. Some helpful stuff. My first preference would be to get a second hand bike around the £200-£300 mark but there not as easy to find as thought they would be. When doing my reserch and trying to find out how much everything would be, it was costing about £600 to get everything. Don't think I'll be doing that right away. As someone mentioned, the best way is to pick the gear up as you go along and get more seriours.
Depending on the sort of bike you are after, I may be able to help.  In fact, I have one out the back of the house you can have if you are anywhere near Belfast.  It may need some work done to it but it wouldn't be that dear, it's a mountain bike if that's any use to ya
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

You don't you know. 

Have you ever cycled before, I think you'd be mad to spend that on a bike if you're going to get fed up in a couple of months. 
Mine was under £200 but if I'm still enjoying it as much in 12 months I think I'll upgrade.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

delboy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2010, 06:41:24 PM
You don't you know. 

Have you ever cycled before, I think you'd be mad to spend that on a bike if you're going to get fed up in a couple of months. 
Mine was under £200 but if I'm still enjoying it as much in 12 months I think I'll upgrade.

Perfect example of 'Buy cheap, buy twice!'

pintsofguinness

Quote from: delboy on February 19, 2010, 06:44:48 PM
You don't you know. 

Buy cheap, buy twice!
I'd rather that than buy dear and then let it rust in the garage. 

delboy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2010, 06:46:08 PM
You don't you know. 

Buy cheap, buy twice!

The quality of a bike will improve the experience immensily riding on a cheap bike can quickly become a chore, the cheapo bike is much more likely to sit in the garage and gather dust than will the decent bike IMO. And if it comes down to it and they find its not the pastime for them a decent second hand bike will almost certainly hold its price better than the cheapo and will sell for roughly the same price it was bought for unlike the cheapo.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: delboy on February 19, 2010, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2010, 06:46:08 PM
You don't you know. 

Buy cheap, buy twice!

The quality of a bike will improve the experience immensily riding on a cheap bike can quickly become a chore, the cheapo bike is much more likely to sit in the garage and gather dust than will the decent bike IMO. And if it comes down to it and they find its not the pastime for them a decent second hand bike will almost certainly hold its price better than the cheapo and will sell for roughly the same price it was bought for unlike the cheapo.

I hope you're not calling Jane and "cheapo"!  >:(