The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: trailer on December 12, 2019, 09:35:14 AM
Rory turning down huge money to play in Saudi Arabia. I didn't think it was possible but he's actually gone up in my estimation.

Trailer, you have also gone up a notch in my book. You're now at 1.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

What's the point of being a captain in team golf? Apart from selecting the match ups what impact can they have?

Rois

Got an unwelcome letter from the golf club today - the annual handicap review has taken two shots off me. I don't get the chance to win a competition or two to compensate. Does anyone know if there's a science to the annual review?

Boycey

Good to see Gmac back in the winners circle today....

Very good piece with Rory and Paul Kimmage in the Indo today also

thewobbler

Quote from: JimStynes on December 14, 2019, 10:50:59 PM
What's the point of being a captain in team golf? Apart from selecting the match ups what impact can they have?

It's very much an overstated role, especially in Ryder Cups.

But in saying that, while a wonderful leader has maybe minimal to no influence in the performance of a golfer (at pro level anyhow), a poor leader is likely to affect their performance negatively.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2019, 11:13:33 PM
Got an unwelcome letter from the golf club today - the annual handicap review has taken two shots off me. I don't get the chance to win a competition or two to compensate. Does anyone know if there's a science to the annual review?

I got cut from 23 to 15 in one go there in October. Playing off the 15 handicap ok though so hopefully get down another shot or 2 in the summer.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2019, 11:13:33 PM

Yes, the club handicap software system reviews scores over the last 12 months and makes recommendations. M&H then review and either accept or reject. If they change the recommendation they explain to GUI why.

So there is a science behind it.

Next year you could have two handicaps. A home one and an away one.

Gabriel_Hurl

A good read - and just in time before he gets back to #1 in the World rankings this weekend

JimStynes

It's not for everyone but I love Kimmage's Q&A style of interviews.

trailer

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 05, 2020, 08:27:36 PM
A good read - and just in time before he gets back to #1 in the World rankings this weekend

Rory is just one of Ireland's greatest ever people never-mind sports persons. Great to see him back on top of the rankings. He'll no doubt have another hugely successful year.

An Watcher

I'm much happier seeing gmac win than mcilroy

Saffrongael

At least Gmac knows what he is
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Rois - look the other way please.

Guys, are women allowed to get the baps out at PGA tournaments? There's a video going round that suggests its okay, lol.