24 hours with no GAA post

Started by Ball Hopper, October 10, 2019, 07:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2019, 09:43:34 PM
Sligo have got 2 successive promotions  ;)

Sligo to play Offaly in the christy ring Cup (3rd tier) next year what odds would you get on that pairing a few years ago I'd wonder.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 11, 2019, 09:26:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 11, 2019, 05:19:06 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 11, 2019, 01:38:31 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on October 10, 2019, 07:51:41 PM
Is the GAA dead?

The county game is on life support. Give it a couple of years with a tiered championship, and you can switch off the machine.

One thing that will never die is the GAA obituaries industry. It's like Apple Computer in the 1990s, they were constantly "going out of business" too. The GAA's demise has been imminent for as long as I can remember, but in reality it's been going from strength to strength.

Look at the renaissance of hurling. The tiered championship doesn't seem to have done it one bit of harm. Today's system is an improvement over Cork obliterating Kerry in the Munster Hurling Championship to the point of people wondering what the point was of Kerry contesting it.

Yes the tiered system will be of great benefit to Offaly next year. Since it came in what county has it improved? Is there any? It has just created a plethora of yo-yo counties who win the Ring/Rackard/Meagher/McDonagh Cup and get relegated the next year.

People don't post as much because of posters like FtB who have just become chicken littles running around the place claiming the sky is falling in. His post on the tiered hurling championship is a good example of this chicken little syndrome. A tiered hurling championship gives smaller counties a chance to compete for something and to progress through the levels. Many of these counties have a handful of hurling clubs.

Does it improve hurling in the counties? Who knows but Sligo are never going to compete with Galway until they have far more hurlers to pick from. However, the tiered format at least gives the hurlers they have something to play for. I've yet to hear a hurler from a weaker county bemoan this system.

If the lads who think the world is going to end could stick to the many threads about that then perhaps the rest of us would post a bit more about the GAA.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on October 12, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
Is the GAA dead?

The county game is on life support. Give it a couple of years with a tiered championship, and you can switch off the machine.

One thing that will never die is the GAA obituaries industry. It's like Apple Computer in the 1990s, they were constantly "going out of business" too. The GAA's demise has been imminent for as long as I can remember, but in reality it's been going from strength to strength.

Look at the renaissance of hurling. The tiered championship doesn't seem to have done it one bit of harm. Today's system is an improvement over Cork obliterating Kerry in the Munster Hurling Championship to the point of people wondering what the point was of Kerry contesting it.

Yes the tiered system will be of great benefit to Offaly next year. Since it came in what county has it improved? Is there any? It has just created a plethora of yo-yo counties who win the Ring/Rackard/Meagher/McDonagh Cup and get relegated the next year.

People don't post as much because of posters like FtB who have just become chicken littles running around the place claiming the sky is falling in. His post on the tiered hurling championship is a good example of this chicken little syndrome. A tiered hurling championship gives smaller counties a chance to compete for something and to progress through the levels. Many of these counties have a handful of hurling clubs.

Does it improve hurling in the counties? Who knows but Sligo are never going to compete with Galway until they have far more hurlers to pick from. However, the tiered format at least gives the hurlers they have something to play for. I've yet to hear a hurler from a weaker county bemoan this system.

If the lads who think the world is going to end could stick to the many threads about that then perhaps the rest of us would post a bit more about the GAA.

All this from a poster who advocated the Super Duper 8's telling us we'd have super duper games in the month of August. All we have is Dublin and Kerry going in fresh into the competition. Dublin getting an extra home game to the rest  and all the media trying to talk up all the other counties as potential contenders.

Also that this Dublin team was a once in a generation fluke? Ha!

The tiered Championship in Hurling is there to keep counties where they are. There are about ten at the top and the only new arrival to this group is..................wait for it.....................Dublin...............how did that happen? The big teams are happy with this cartel.

Eamonnca1

Is the GAA dead?

Fine. Scrap the tiered system. Put Kerry back into the Munster Championship to get annihilated by Cork and let the other developing counties sit it out with no games outside the league.

Rossfan

You could let Leitrim play Limerick in the first Round.
Then next year Leitrim would be a top team...... so the theory goes.
Anyway those Leitrim hurlers were mighty happy to win the Lory and had some night celebrating in Carrick.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

I  can't wait to see the attendances for 2019.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I wouldn't expect that many GAA posts this time of year. What is more shocking is the general fall off in interest in the all Ireland final and the total collapse of interest in the Leinster championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2019, 05:05:20 PM
I  can't wait to see the attendances for 2019.

There were two savours for the GAA (1) Mayo making the semi-final v Dublin (2) The All Ireland final replay.

Both of those will hide how much trouble the GAA are in.

Rossfan

By "the GAA" do ye mean just Inter County SFC?
Th'oul Hurley stuff is still pulling them in (at the top level of course)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Don't get him started. There'll be another "hurling is dying" post along any second...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2019, 05:15:16 PM
I wouldn't expect that many GAA posts this time of year. What is more shocking is the general fall off in interest in the all Ireland final and the total collapse of interest in the Leinster championship.
I live on the same road as Diarmuid Connolly. In the lead up to the AI this year, just one house was adorned with bunting and two more had flags flying from upper windows. That was it!! None of the  other streets in the locality were any different- general interest in GAA affairs, never mind the Drive for Five, was minimal/
I noticed the fall off in interest first during last year's championship, but this year's lack of public interest was an eye-opener.
FFS, this is rare oul' Dub territory!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2019, 11:06:22 AM
What are you going to be when you grow up?

I would like to be Gaelic football manager if i can, i will actually do it for free also, no need for 50K for me.

Seriously though, the GAA is in a better place now than it ever was, dont get me wrong, there are definitly issues to be addressed  (Take away your hatred for all things Dublin) = Inter-county football which as a higher standard of skill and fitness now than it ever had and the mismangement of finances by county boards (See brolly article from Sunday) Some great seens from around the country last weekend of county semis and finals, Thats the real GAA.

Dont be silly the Greatest, i want us to go back to the 00s when my own county team was good and we'd put it up to those pesky Dubs. How there they win All Irelands over us country folk, sure its our game.

I think there is a lot of people on this forum who need to grow up and stop with the excuses and whinging.

Hound

Quote from: TheGreatest on October 15, 2019, 08:38:56 AM

I think there is a lot of people on this forum who need to grow up and stop with the excuses and whinging.

This website was down the other day, and then when it came back, this thread appeared blaming it on the Dubs!  ;D

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on October 15, 2019, 08:38:56 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 11, 2019, 11:06:22 AM
What are you going to be when you grow up?

I would like to be Gaelic football manager if i can, i will actually do it for free also, no need for 50K for me.

Seriously though, the GAA is in a better place now than it ever was, dont get me wrong, there are definitly issues to be addressed  (Take away your hatred for all things Dublin) = Inter-county football which as a higher standard of skill and fitness now than it ever had and the mismangement of finances by county boards (See brolly article from Sunday) Some great seens from around the country last weekend of county semis and finals, Thats the real GAA.

Dont be silly the Greatest, i want us to go back to the 00s when my own county team was good and we'd put it up to those pesky Dubs. How there they win All Irelands over us country folk, sure its our game.

Looks like you forgot to log out and log back in under a different user name!