Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: hurlingstick on March 13, 2016, 04:29:20 PM
We need to win and Westmeath to beat Carlow in Carlow.

Unfortunately the leagues over, what your saying still doesn't work for us that'd put us level on points with Carlow but they won the head to head so they'd go through. London can still go through if they beat us and west meath beat Carlow, but its down to just WM Carlow and London now.

theskull1

I think we need to set the expectations better. We are where we are. Attempts being made to improve dev squad structures, but really theres just not the right amount of interest on the game to create a fevered sustainable interest at county level. Young talented hurlers arrive at intercounty senior senior level and I'm sure the frst thing they can see is the subconscious lack of ambition. This is where we're at. We are not KK or Tipp where the passion for the game runs into the every fabric of their world. We're a narrow strata of life up here. Hurling men up here are a dedicated as anyone in any other county and we should be very proud of that. But we are killed by the number of take it or leavers or dont care at alls. With limited numbers (and that rolls into financial assistance) only so much can be achieved.

The half heartedness about us and for many years its been there so not PJs fault. Players acting the bollocks on weekends, poor attendance at training, how often do they puck a ball away from training etc?

When you compare the control of the ball Galway and Tipp had yesterday (and Carlow as well), our stickwork is way off the mark as is our ability to try to link up with each other. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Na Glinntí Glasa

for any poor soul that was in westmeath that there yesterday was on par with it. Ill call it what it was, utter shite from start to finish. There was very few players to come out with any credit after that performance.

I was at the game in Derry and that was actually as bad as yesterday was. Theres no system of play that i can see, theres no consistency in where players are each week they start. they are being moved all over the place and theres no settled team which isnt good.

I have to be brutally honest but Liam would be better not starting for the county, hes not good enough in any of the games ive seen. I would prefer to see Saul start in the corner. Im not singling him out as theres plenty more aint up to scratch. Niall mckenna & McGreevy were completly lost at midfield, neither of them contributed anything to the game other than to let their man run amock. The only one who had a half decent game was Simon McCrorry imo.

we need to give PJ the time to do the job, hes only had 5 months which isnt enough to get the team going at all. Lets be honest currenty we are not good enough for Div 1b.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 14, 2016, 09:58:36 AM
for any poor soul that was in westmeath that there yesterday was on par with it. Ill call it what it was, utter shite from start to finish. There was very few players to come out with any credit after that performance.

I was at the game in Derry and that was actually as bad as yesterday was. Theres no system of play that i can see, theres no consistency in where players are each week they start. they are being moved all over the place and theres no settled team which isnt good.

I have to be brutally honest but Liam would be better not starting for the county, hes not good enough in any of the games ive seen. I would prefer to see Saul start in the corner. Im not singling him out as theres plenty more aint up to scratch. Niall mckenna & McGreevy were completly lost at midfield, neither of them contributed anything to the game other than to let their man run amock. The only one who had a half decent game was Simon McCrorry imo.

we need to give PJ the time to do the job, hes only had 5 months which isnt enough to get the team going at all. Lets be honest currenty we are not good enough for Div 1b.

I have to say DR, I find it hard to disagree with majority of your posts. Again your are correct in what you are saying.

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 14, 2016, 09:43:57 AM
I think we need to set the expectations better. We are where we are. Attempts being made to improve dev squad structures, but really theres just not the right amount of interest on the game to create a fevered sustainable interest at county level. Young talented hurlers arrive at intercounty senior senior level and I'm sure the frst thing they can see is the subconscious lack of ambition. This is where we're at. We are not KK or Tipp where the passion for the game runs into the every fabric of their world. We're a narrow strata of life up here. Hurling men up here are a dedicated as anyone in any other county and we should be very proud of that. But we are killed by the number of take it or leavers or dont care at alls. With limited numbers (and that rolls into financial assistance) only so much can be achieved.

The half heartedness about us and for many years its been there so not PJs fault. Players acting the bollocks on weekends, poor attendance at training, how often do they puck a ball away from training etc?

When you compare the control of the ball Galway and Tipp had yesterday (and Carlow as well), our stickwork is way off the mark as is our ability to try to link up with each other.

Can't disagree with a word of that!
DR makes some good points also - notably Simon McCrory.
Little surprise that as one of our best performers he is an example of how to carry yourself off the pitch.
Looks after himself physically and he is totally consumed by hurling - rarely without a stick in his hand.
A full panel of them and PJ might have a job more comparable to something in rival counties down below.

Saffrongael

So to confirm we can't qualify ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

hurlingstick

Think whoever posted is correct. We can't qualify now. The only way we could is if 2nd, 3rd and 4th finished with the same amount of points which I don't think is possible now.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 14, 2016, 10:29:10 AM

Westmeath Carlow and London are above us  so the question is
If Westmeath put out a week team against Carlow and they could do that and lose then they play each other again for promotion regardless if we beat London away
Still a mathematical l chance but I think In reality yesterday killed of any hope
Anyway div 2 is where we should be
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 14, 2016, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on March 14, 2016, 10:29:10 AM

Westmeath Carlow and London are above is so the question is
If Westmeath put out a week team against Carlow and they could do that and lose then they play each other again for promotion regardless if we beat London away
Still a mathematical l chance but I think I'm reality yesterday killed of any hope
Anyway div 2 is where we should be

It's division 3 really - but I agree it's where we belong.

Na Glinntí Glasa

were not going anywhere next year. We will be back in Div 1b again next season.

I hate to run the team down as im as keen an antrim supporter as the next man. Its hard to stand and watch garbage like that yesterday and not feel that its never going to change. All these great players we apparently have yet for some reason come county level they seem to go back a step each time? Doesn't make sense at all.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 14, 2016, 12:03:24 PM

I hate to run the team down as im as keen an antrim supporter as the next man. Its hard to stand and watch garbage like that yesterday and not feel that its never going to change. All these great players we apparently have yet for some reason come county level they seem to go back a step each time? Doesn't make sense at all.

Player commitment

Look how our u21s treat inter county training
Look how some of our seniors treat it
Division 1players are married to it

It just doesn't stop at whatever collective training they are doing

Shefflin was no natural but he hit 400 balls every day of his hurling life
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

hurlingstick

2A DR

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hurlingstick on March 14, 2016, 12:55:15 PM

2A DR

:o my bad lol  ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

Two Hands FFS

The lack of fight yesterday was my biggest concern. We've been told things have been going well thus far, and I could put Westmeath down to a bad display & a tough place to go...but yesterday was brutal as I thought there would be some kind of reaction to last weeks defeat. A total lack of hunger. Senior players should have been leading it but were no-where to be seen.
Before ability is even considered the lack of effort was the worrying thing for me.

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 14, 2016, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 14, 2016, 09:43:57 AM

Can't disagree with a word of that!
DR makes some good points also - notably Simon McCrory.
Little surprise that as one of our best performers he is an example of how to carry yourself off the pitch.
Looks after himself physically and he is totally consumed by hurling - rarely without a stick in his hand.
A full panel of them and PJ might have a job more comparable to something in rival counties down below.

That wee Portaferry camog keeping Simon on his toes!!
;D