Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Hi. Looking at doing my first and last marathon next year in spring to get it out of the way. Have done a lot of half marathons but not overjoyed about training load of a full one. Looking at Longford in April. Few questions. What's the course like in terms of climbing. Is it ok to start training in January as I'm comfortably running ten kilometres at moment. Finally what way would you pace yourself to run in or around 3 hours 30. Although time is not a major concern.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2016, 06:59:28 PM
Hi. Looking at doing my first and last marathon next year in spring to get it out of the way. Have done a lot of half marathons but not overjoyed about training load of a full one. Looking at Longford in April. Few questions. What's the course like in terms of climbing. Is it ok to start training in January as I'm comfortably running ten kilometres at moment. Finally what way would you pace yourself to run in or around 3 hours 30. Although time is not a major concern.

8 odd mintue miles... tough going I'd say to work on that time if have not done full one I'd say... what times you do for your half marathons? Did you feel strong after the race?

Doing one next year so keen to look at various different programs that are out that would suit my style of running.... not keen on the full training either but there doesn't seem to be a just turn up and wing it method
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

My half marathons are around the hour and a half mark. Legs were cramping after but felt ok apart from that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2016, 08:58:16 PM
My half marathons are around the hour and a half mark. Legs were cramping after but felt ok apart from that.

That's strong running, going another 13 miles is the killer, I finished last half on the 1.40 mark and felt strong and had better second part to race, but thoughts of doing the lot seems horrible!!

I've a few running partners lined up for when I start getting ready but not looking forward to changing my routine at the minute....

Going abroad for mine so will more than likely be running on my own!

Let me know what plan you use

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Bucket list, a goal a tick of a box I'd imagine... having a target is good to aim for! Some are hard do it's never a joy to train for a possible four hour slog

mrdeeds

Quote from: laoislad on November 15, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
Why would you train for and run a Marathon 'just to get it out of the way'
It's hardly a good place to be starting from if you really don't want to do it in the first place.
I'm not having a go, just curious.

Yeah just to say I've done one. Bucket list. I run a lot anyway just the training for that distance seems boring and monotonous. Also want to do a Gaelforce event.

ballinaman

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2016, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 15, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
Why would you train for and run a Marathon 'just to get it out of the way'
It's hardly a good place to be starting from if you really don't want to do it in the first place.
I'm not having a go, just curious.

Yeah just to say I've done one. Bucket list. I run a lot anyway just the training for that distance seems boring and monotonous. Also want to do a Gaelforce event.
Not a great start if you are thinking like that already. January/Feburary marathon training sorts the men from the boys.

ballinaman

Quote from: ONeill on November 11, 2016, 11:01:35 PM
Haha! No need to take time off....moonboot on.
4 weeks boot. 2 weeks progressive loading...gradual return to running then.

mrdeeds

I do want to do the marathon, doesn't mean there's parts of it not looking forward to. Mainly the twenty mile training runs. Good playlist, running partner, etc... should help. I only want to do it once I think.

moysider

The rule of thumb is double the half marathon time and add 20 mins. My best is 5 minutes shy of that benchmark but think it is attainable. If you follow a good programme sensibly and it goes well on the day you should come under the 3.30.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on November 17, 2016, 11:13:10 PM

The rule of thumb is double the half marathon time and add 20 mins. My best is 5 minutes shy of that benchmark but think it is attainable. If you follow a good programme sensibly and it goes well on the day you should come under the 3.30.

I'd be happy with that equation but does it really work? (Providing you stick to program)

imtommygunn

It's the same with any of these formulae. Twice distance requires a good bit more endurance. if you have trained yourself well and have that endurance...

Basically if you do the long runs then it can work. If you don't no chance.

Also marathon tempos a very good idea.

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2016, 11:58:02 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 17, 2016, 11:13:10 PM

I'd be happy with that equation but does it really work? (Providing you stick to program)

Ah, I dunno. The McMillan guide is good for predicting times up to a half marathon based on times over shorter distances. But  it is way too optimistic about marathon time. The 'add 20 mins' is much more sympathetic than McMillan and it is still unrealistic for a lot of runners. There are so many considerations involved in a marathon. A good plan is crucial. However a lot of people set the bar too high with a target time, and the plan they follow to get it means they end up overcooked and bet before they ever run the marathon. On the other hand some people run better marathon times than what they have done in shorter distances would suggest. It is not an exact science. I saw a fella this year that did a 10k in 45mins in August and did Dublin Marathon in low 3:30s. That is extraordinary, especially considering he would be closer to 60 than 50 yrs. old and has done feck all running. There are so many variables I suppose.

No1

Anyone do Seeley today? Great race for times but I hate the laps round Ormeau so I gave it a miss!

Milltown, highly recommend Amsterdam Marathon (my first and last)! Dead flat course and great support at stages with a few surreal sights on the way round! Great spot for the apres race also!!

gallsman

I've recently been getting a pain in neck when out running, right down in beside my collar bone. Usually on the right hand side but has been on the left as well. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas what might be causing this?