Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 28, 2022, 03:46:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2022, 07:27:26 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 27, 2022, 07:25:03 PM
Apparently P F endured hamstring problems mid-week and indeed he would not have been fooled by the results of 'sniper at work' today.
Soft frees indeed and one led to that penalty.

But if some suggest Glen are the real deal and one of the top sides in the country I still take a lot to be persuaded....

If the win the All Ireland would you be saying Cargin were unlucky against the All Ireland winners ;)

Cargin have already beaten All Ireland and Ulster winners several times...

Yeah, funny I was talking to someone the other week and he was saying that you felt that Cargin were a better team.. Perceptions can be funny sometimes  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2022, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 28, 2022, 03:46:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2022, 07:27:26 PM
Apparently P F endured hamstring problems mid-week and indeed he would not have been fooled by the results of 'sniper at work' today.

But if some suggest Glen are the real deal and one of the top sides in the country I still take a lot to be persuaded....

If the win the All Ireland would you be saying Cargin were unlucky against the All Ireland winners ;)

Cargin have already beaten All Ireland and Ulster winners several times...

Yeah, funny I was talking to someone the other week and he was saying that you felt that Cargin were a better team.. Perceptions can be funny sometimes  ;D

Better than...?

country bumpkin

Quote from: AntrimRealist on November 28, 2022, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: Saul goodman on November 27, 2022, 08:04:00 PM

I thought the glen no 10 think it is Ethan Doherty went to ground very easily John carron I think got done for a soft free on him- mick McCann also another ref defo would have let a lot more go

McCann's was a definite free - he put his hand into opponent's face - it's football, not rugby.  Cargin decision making in last 15 minutes cost them, nothing to do with the referee.  Corner back took on a very difficult shot and missed, McCann free in middle of the park, tried to find Tomas who was very tightly marked, Glen score came from that.  Fine margins but ultimately Glen didn't panic when it came down to the wire, Cargin did.

Obviously an ardent supporter of the green in camouflage....and especially Mick Mc Cann......

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 29, 2022, 08:56:39 AM

I thought the glen no 10 think it is Ethan Doherty went to ground very easily John carron I think got done for a soft free on him- mick McCann also another ref defo would have let a lot more go

McCann's was a definite free - he put his hand into opponent's face - it's football, not rugby.  Cargin decision making in last 15 minutes cost them, nothing to do with the referee.  Corner back took on a very difficult shot and missed, McCann free in middle of the park, tried to find Tomas who was very tightly marked, Glen score came from that.  Fine margins but ultimately Glen didn't panic when it came down to the wire, Cargin did.

Obviously an ardent supporter of the green in camouflage....and especially Mick Mc Cann......

In your words CB, where did Cargin lose it? As the game was a 50/50
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

fine margins indeed.  Cargin will have much chagrin at 3 of the soft frees given to Glen in the critical last 5 minutes period and the debateable points that were given. Glen would be rueing the missed goal opportunities either side of half time.  Glen managed the majority of injury time very well it has to be said.    As to the rights or wrongs of frees, it shows how a different opinion of the game by a referee can alter things.  Cargin wanted it to be a physical battle such as the referee allowed against Glenties, whereas Mr Eanetta was decidedly against that type of football.   The laws of the game do not distinguish either as right or wrong so it is up to both teams to adjust.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2022, 08:59:27 AM

Cargin did lose a game bit they have gained a lot in experience particularly for their extended panel and all those youngsters learning the trade.
Antrim champs again and in the top four in Ulstet and the focus will obviously be in retracing those steps taken in 2022.

Represented our county well and cannot be more grateful or proud of those young lads who carried the green torch with such poise on our behalf...

As for the ref on Sunday am surprised how few on the board noticed his poor officialdom when most of the experienced scribes in attendance expressed negative opinion on that official, including B Crossan, Kenny Archer, and Belllaghy's own Cahir O' Kane..
Surprising indeed, when all those 'Antrim' people on the board, (all obviously unbiased) failed to take note....

NAG1

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 29, 2022, 10:24:40 AM

Cargin did lose a game bit they have gained a lot in experience particularly for their extended panel and all those youngsters learning the trade.
Antrim champs again and in the top four in Ulstet and the focus will obviously be in retracing those steps taken in 2022.

Represented our county well and cannot be more grateful or proud of those young lads who carried the green torch with such poise on our behalf...

As for the ref on Sunday am surprised how few on the board noticed his poor officialdom when most of the experienced scribes in attendance expressed negative opinion on that official, including B Crossan, Kenny Archer, and Belllaghy's own Cahir O' Kane..
Surprising indeed, when all those 'Antrim' people on the board, (all obviously unbiased) failed to take note....

Dont think anyone is claiming the ref was good, he certainly wasn't. Think the wider point is that Cargin and actually some of their most experienced heads, didnt adjust to suit.
Frees being moved into scoring range for back chat, simple fouls they knew would be pulled up conceded in bad areas for them when there was support tacklers around.

Milltown Row2

So even Tyrone ref's have it in for Cargin? Christ

There was poor calls on both sides, there was off the ball stuff that the ref didn't pull either I felt. So it evened itself out

I asked the question where could Cargin have done better to win the game? Glen were no big shakes on watching the game

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2022, 10:42:17 AM

There was poor calls on both sides, there was off the ball stuff that the ref didn't pull either I felt. So it evened itself out

I asked the question where could Cargin have done better to win the game? Glen were no big shakes on watching the game
If this board is anyway way reflective of real life (which is doubtful lol) we are in a great place, we're now getting criticised for not beating Glen (who are now no big shakes). This was not the mood music on here last week. Great to be at that high level and hopefully get back again next year to try and push on again.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 29, 2022, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2022, 10:42:17 AM

If this board is anyway way reflective of real life (which is doubtful lol) we are in a great place, we're now getting criticised for not beating Glen (who are now no big shakes). This was not the mood music on here last week. Great to be at that high level and hopefully get back again next year to try and push on again.

I was not in the camp that Cargin were going to be beat, I didn't have that on any of my posts, beating the Donegal champions was the first marker, I had posted that if Cargin are still within a score at the business end of the game they have a chance, I said that Glen were no big shakes Sunday, they didn't or weren't allowed to play good football, that's not to say they ain't a better team.

All I've asked was (on reflection) where did Cargin lose the game?

They have been the Antrim standard bearer for a long time, they deserve their accolades from the supporters and neutrals, I don't know many that didn't want them to win on Sunday

geezer

Assume Ciaran Bradley was carrying a knock? Was a big miss not to start the game. Made an instant impact.

imtommygunn

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 29, 2022, 10:24:40 AM

CB you should sleep with a tin foil hat on and keep all those negative thoughts out  ;D

country bumpkin

How could I be negative....Cargin county champs again and 4th rated team in Ulster.
No retirements announced and a strong panel to start again 2023 with a lot of young guns seeking senior berths gonna be hard to dislodge...

Well as for negativity and although we were representing Antrim on Sunday a well wisher from a prominent club posted on social media Sunday evening..

'Green Machine crashes, outside Omagh'

Help required....

Funny.......those who think so hands up

NAG1

I'm baffled at the ranked 4th in Ulster, making the semi final doesnt add up to this.
Probably a bit tongue n cheek here CB but its not the school yard rules  ;D

Will it ever end

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 29, 2022, 01:15:03 PM
How could I be negative....Cargin county champs again and 4th rated team in Ulster.
No retirements announced and a strong panel to start again 2023 with a lot of young guns seeking senior berths gonna be hard to dislodge...

Well as for negativity and although we were representing Antrim on Sunday a well wisher from a prominent club posted on social media Sunday evening..

'Green Machine crashes, outside Omagh'

Help required....

Funny.......those who think so hands up

If you could just get the right referee surely an Ulster title will be a formality next year...