Best & Worst GAA jerseys of All Time

Started by Feckitt, April 01, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Was watching Ogie Moran on Laochra Gael last night.  Apologies I can never figure out how to post a  photo on here but two of the best and worst jerseys of all time were on display in the 1981 All Ireland Final.

Offaly had the cool tight fitting white jersey with a high gold banner and green on the shoulders. 

Kerry however had the most godawful green and gold shiny thing with shiny green shorts.  (never.seen.worse.)

AZOffaly

In the 1981 final I think Offaly had the stripes down the side, similar to an old Coventry City kit at the time. The 1982 Final was where the green and gold went across the shoulder and chest. I thought that was lovely. In 1981 Kerry had that shiny abomination alright, but I think in 1982 they had a plain green with gold collar and cuffs.

That Offaly jersey from 1982 is still my favourite jersey, although they have had some other nice white jerseys in the meantime in fairness. The current one isn't bad at all.

AZOffaly

Actually I beg your pardon, you are right. Offaly wore the same jersey in 1981 and 1982. Kerry changed for 1982.

1981 Offaly v Kerry

1982 Offaly v Kerry

The Offaly jersey I was thinking of was from 1980 semi final, the day Matt Connor scored 2-9 and lost.

Feckitt

Yep the 1980 Offaly jersey was on telly last night as well with the thin green and gold stripes down one side of the jersey, but the 1981/1982 jersey is the real deal.

I think an old Ireland International Rules jersey from the 80s was almost exactly the same.

screenexile

This is the worst geansai we've had . . .

Syferus

No contest. Even returning to pinstripes on the current jerseys have made us 10% better.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Johnnybegood

I actually like the Roscommon one! My fav jersey is the dubs one of similar style! Wound lot fancy takeing a dig of dermot early in his prime! A fine beastly specimen of a culchie!

Oraisteach

AZOffaly

There's something classy about that traditions Down red and black. Invokes the spirit of Sean O'Neill mickey linden and Greg Blaney.

Thewildcat

and James McCartan one of the best to play for the Downmen.

andoireabu

Quote from: screenexile on April 01, 2015, 04:21:23 PM
This is the worst geansai we've had . . .

Don't know about that. There was one in the last few years that didn't have the hoop the whole way round. Looked like a tyrone top.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Over the Bar

Pretty much every kit Armagh have turned out in since they recruited some bucko from Lurgan  who normally designed tea-pots and tableware to create the 2002 jersey.  Might explain why the sleeves were 3/4 length.   

Oraisteach

I like a simple jersey, so I do think that the 2002 Armagh version had a bit too much crap on it, but I have to say that it's hard to take seriously a jersey with the Hunky Dory logo on it.  I wonder what team jersey has the ugliest or most comical logo on it.