Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Quote from: bannside on October 24, 2018, 04:52:55 PM
Both regions need to be performing in order to develop a mutual respect and that needs to be earned. The county needs both regions pulling their weight.

I don't know if it's the social media thing but there definitely seems to be a helluva lot more underage activity, blitz competition, challenge competions, go games  etc and more of a coaching focus across the board than say a decade ago. Anyone else see that or am I imagining it?

No, I don't think you're imagining it.  Our end of year party with our U8's (P1 - P4s) we had something like 80 kids there.  But the best thing about it is the amount of parents willing to help and assist the coaches.

I don't think I had a proper training session until I was U12, but now we have kids coming up still in nappies, all decked out in the club gear.  Long may it continue!

As you move up the age groups, the structured Go Games are a godsend as well.  And the week we're not at Go Games there's normally a tournament or a blitz or friendly happening.  It never quits!
Keep 'er lit

bannside

That's fantastic Gs man. I know our club has really upped the ante regarding juveniles too, and it appears many clubs have. This increased attention to our youth at such an early age will pay huge dividends for the next generation.

I've no doubt the two single biggest areas we were underperforming in for many years were (a) lack of quality coaching and game provision for our youngest participants (age 6 to 12) and (b) I don't think our county development squad sector was on par with many other counties for a lengthy period. (For many reasons, lack of finance being a large contributor)

I think these two areas are now improving and are good omens for the future.

imtommygunn

BS you didn't suffer too badly for it with all the minor titles stinsons won so can't have been too bad...

Na Glinntí Glasa

Just going to say that myself. SS were a serious force back in my day at underage and then on wards with the number of titles that they picked up.
hurl like f**k boi!

delgany

Quote from: Gold on October 24, 2018, 08:51:46 AM
Are St Pats Lisburn promoted  ?

Have they ever got out of the bottom rung before?

Lisburn must beat st.malachys to ensure promotion to Div 2.

Regulation 3:07  does not clearly establish  how teams are promoted when there is a tie . So st Patrick's need a draw or win to ensure a minimum of 2nd place.

Lisburn played intermediate football in 1990 /1991.

Hectic

Quote from: delgany on October 25, 2018, 11:46:28 AM
Quote from: Gold on October 24, 2018, 08:51:46 AM
Are St Pats Lisburn promoted  ?

Have they ever got out of the bottom rung before?

Lisburn must beat st.malachys to ensure promotion to Div 2.

Regulation 3:07  does not clearly establish  how teams are promoted when there is a tie . So st Patrick's need a draw or win to ensure a minimum of 2nd place.

Lisburn played intermediate football in 1990 /1991.

No I had a good look at that the other day and Lisburn are promoted this year already as 3:07 A would apply in the unlikely event that St Mals beat them. That is they have head to head outcome in their favour against Ardoyne. Effectively the hammering they gave Antrim and Ardoyne losing to Glenravel last weekend assured the fate of Lisburn, Glenravel and Ardoyne for next season and indeed the final standings of all 4 teams.

If I were in Lisburns shoes (and provided they have entered u21 this year) I would get the U21s out on Saturday and get them a competitive game ahead of the Championship. Might be a few teams doing that anyway though hopefully not the like of Moneyglass or others who while have nothing to play for themselves must protect the integrity of competition given they still can have a say in final standings.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 25, 2018, 11:35:44 AM
Just going to say that myself. SS were a serious force back in my day at underage and then on wards with the number of titles that they picked up.
4 in a row minors in late 90s / early noughties. Two in years where antrim got to the ulster minor final and one where st louis got to a final in croke park so minor football was strong enough then too.

Delgany Lisburn are 2nd in the table on the antrim website and have less of a scoring difference tahn ardoyne on head to head so presumably are getting up on head to head? I am not sure if they can win division 3 but
I think I read they can. If they can then presumably a win would do it as they have a better scoring difference than glenravel.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2018, 12:10:18 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 25, 2018, 11:35:44 AM
4 in a row minors in late 90s / early noughties. Two in years where antrim got to the ulster minor final and one where st louis got to a final in croke park so minor football was strong enough then too.

Delgany Lisburn are 2nd in the table on the antrim website and have less of a scoring difference tahn ardoyne on head to head so presumably are getting up on head to head? I am not sure if they can win division 3 but
I think I read they can. If they can then presumably a win would do it as they have a better scoring difference than glenravel.
Head to head applies when teams are on the same points. Lisburn beat Ardoyne twice so are promoted. Glenravel beat Lisburn by 5 and Lisburn beat Glenravel by 4 so Glenravel have better head to head by 1 point so win the league.

Hectic

Does anyone have full u21 line up fixtures etc or is there a link to it anywhere?

Mhic Easmuint

Spike

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2018, 10:04:11 AM
BS you didn't suffer too badly for it with all the minor titles stinsons won so can't have been too bad...

Maybe give Ahoghill a bit of credit in all this too - SS was an amalgamated team after all.  we'll soon find out if Portglenone can stand on their own two feet or not  :)

Hectic

Quote from: Hectic on October 25, 2018, 12:18:44 PM
Does anyone have full u21 line up fixtures etc or is there a link to it anywhere?

In fact just seeing link now on fixtures section of county website.

Hectic

Quote from: Spike on October 25, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

Maybe give Ahoghill a bit of credit in all this too - SS was an amalgamated team after all.  we'll soon find out if Portglenone can stand on their own two feet or not  :)

Aye Ahoghill big contributers to some really good SS teams. Remeber playing against Kellys, Hardys, Graffins etc all big big players.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Spike on October 25, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

I wasn't not giving them credit - I was just talking about Portglenone.