Sunday Newspaper GAA coverage

Started by sam03/05, November 04, 2007, 05:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

which sunday newspaper do you think offers the best GAA coverage?
I often buy the times which can be quite good.

orangeman

Sunday Tribune is good but my favourite is the Indo  -

Bogball XV

Well today's Sindo very helpfully gave us a list of the day's club fixtures, quite indepth it was too, it gave the clubs involved, their county, the referee, the venue and the throw in time.  Excellent stuff.

Frank Casey

Would get the Press years ago just to read Con Houlihan. He's still writing for the Sunday World but you'll have to put up with Spillane as well.

The Indo, maybe, and Michael Clifford in Mail is pretty okay. He's a Kerryman as well!!
KERRY 3:7

gerry

sunday world good to read what Spillane raving about, but gaa coverage poor. Times good though
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

magickingdom

tho i hate the rag overall the sindo has very good gaa coverage. i'm also a fan of the tribune too which can be verry good on gaa...

orangeman

Mick O'Dwyer's book got a big plug in the Indo today - sounds like a good read - the suggestion that people in Croke Park reported him to the Revenue commssioners was very interesting indeed.

tayto

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 04, 2007, 05:28:46 PM

Times is good but this time of year their coverage is annoyingly slim and tucked away with their coverage of the english cricket team. considering it's popularity none of the papers give the GAA the coverage it deserves in my opinion. 

OUR BOY

Would have to say that altough quantity is greater in indo (think O Rourke is excellent altough Paudi not great) its very hard to beat the quality in the Tribune.Kieran Shannon (football) in particular carries out a level of research into what he's writing about which is alien to most journalists.When discussing a team or style of play etc he produces stats in very fine detail which make for very interesting reading.Enda mc Evoy is also fairly good on Hurling and like Shannon seems to have his ear fairly close to the ground.

tayto

yea, the tribune is good alright, but you have to wade through page after page of rugby.

Bogball XV

Quote from: orangeman on November 04, 2007, 11:04:50 PM
Mick O'Dwyer's book got a big plug in the Indo today - sounds like a good read - the suggestion that people in Croke Park reported him to the Revenue commssioners was very interesting indeed.
I didn't take that from it at all, I thought it said that the rumours about his huge salaries etc were what prompted the revenue investigations.

mackers

You're spot on, Our Boy, I think Kieran Shannon is the best in the business. He writes passionately about football and I have yet to pick up any vested interests or bias in his writing.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Doire abú

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 04, 2007, 05:28:46 PM

Times never seems to have any GAA coverage in the first 14 or so pages of the Sports suplement. They seem to have a strange obsesssion with cricket and rugby.

sam03/05

anything interesting in any papers today???

gerry

Times never seems to have any GAA coverage in the first 14 or so pages of the Sports suplement. They seem to have a strange obsesssion with cricket and rugby.

The cricket and rugby is taken from the english Times with the GAA added in for the Irish market
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,