Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Peter harte opted off the panel before the Kerry game.

Club boi

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 19, 2019, 05:32:39 PM
Peter harte opted off the panel before the Kerry game.

OOhhhhhhhh well played

Mikhailov

Quote from: Under Lights on August 19, 2019, 04:40:28 PM
Rumours now going around that four players have opted out of the panel for the foreseeable. How you opt out in off season I'm not sure what the process is.

Heard N Sludden, K Coney, C McCann and C.Grugan had notified management of their intention to sit out the 2020 season........

tyrone08

Only one of real concern if this is true is sludden. Coney showed great maturity coming back into the squad but never really got much of chance bar the dublin game.not sure if c McCann is much less as hesvent really see that much of him

Angelo

Quote from: Mikhailov on August 19, 2019, 07:55:08 PM
Rumours now going around that four players have opted out of the panel for the foreseeable. How you opt out in off season I'm not sure what the process is.

Heard N Sludden, K Coney, C McCann and C.Grugan had notified management of their intention to sit out the 2020 season........

I don't think C McCann is county standard and he'd be one of the lads I think we should be cutting for next year.

Think it would be hasty for Grugan to quit, he seemed to suffer a few injuries that held him back this year. Coney won't really offer much from the start but could be a decent option off the bench. Again I think it would be hasty but he doesn't really have the legs.

Sludden would be a loss but I think he struggled this year and seemed to be a bit lost as we began to move the ball more direct.

And this is the usual silly season. I doubt those lads are deciding whether they will play next year a week after the season has ended.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Quote from: Angelo on August 19, 2019, 08:51:24 PM

I don't think C McCann is county standard and he'd be one of the lads I think we should be cutting for next year.

Think it would be hasty for Grugan to quit, he seemed to suffer a few injuries that held him back this year. Coney won't really offer much from the start but could be a decent option off the bench. Again I think it would be hasty but he doesn't really have the legs.

Sludden would be a loss but I think he struggled this year and seemed to be a bit lost as we began to move the ball more direct.

And this is the usual silly season. I doubt those lads are deciding whether they will play next year a week after the season has ended.

I'd say Colm Cavanagh will call it a day also. But sure all these players are no good and Harte is developing loads of future stars just like he's always done so we're grand. Please give Hitler Harte 3 more years.

RedHand88

In August???

LeoMc

Sludden wouldn't be happy at getting taken off ahead of Petey when playing so well and Grugan did not go home with the team after the game either.

Mikhailov

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 19, 2019, 09:14:17 PM

In August???

They 100% told them - doesn't matter what month it is !!!

Angelo

Quote from: trailer on August 19, 2019, 09:09:28 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 19, 2019, 08:51:24 PM

I'd say Colm Cavanagh will call it a day also. But sure all these players are no good and Harte is developing loads of future stars just like he's always done so we're grand. Please give Hitler Harte 3 more years.

I think we're lacking the players for an All Ireland but then again so are every county excluding Dublin.

Coney is the oldest player on the panel after Cavanagh and McCrory, he came back this year with a new attitude, I'd hate to see him pack it in after that year. He has something to offer but it will depend on how determined he is, likewise Grugan.

Guys like McClure, C McCann, Loughran, McCrory, B Burns, McHugh and McNabb have probably all seen their time now that they haven't made a sufficient impression for Tyrone, decent players but they're behind in pecking order now and are all past or in their mid 20s or beyond so I can't see them breaking the starting 15 or first 4 or 5 subs.

I wouldn't be calling Brennan back in this year, we have McCurry, McAliskey and Bradley probably to come back in and I don't think you can have more than 1 of those lads starting as they are all too small, I don't think Brennan gives you more than them at county level.. If you look at the starting Dublin, Kerry and Mayo forward lines from the semi finals - none of them had a forward under 6ft starting - that's just the way the game has evolved.

I was very disappointed with Brennan this year walking out mid season, these guys have their own lives and of course if you're not getting minutes it's frustrating but it was not unforeseeable for Brennan to make his way into the reckoning but you know the drill at the start of the season, it's a team effort and when you go midway like that then you're letting your team mates down and the management team. I can accept Ronan O'Neill going, I think he gave it his best shot but he saw the writing on the wall and knew that he doesn't have what it takes. He's been on the panel about 8 years now but seems like he was getting further away.

I'd like to see 11 or 12 new faces get a go for the McKenna Cup next year, see if they can bring anything different to the table. I think young Canavan and Murnaghan should go to the U20s again next year, maybe give them some minutes in the league but I don't think they're ready to make an impact at senior level.

GaelTheGael

Club Championship may well unearth a few prospects for the senior panel.
But from the U20 panel the players who would be worth a look at for 2020, that aren't still available to U20 next year: Conor Quinn, Conall Grimes and Sean Og McAleer.
Think anyone still U20 like Murnaghan, Canavan, Tiarnan Quinn, Lorcan Quinn should remain on the U20 panel for the 2020 season.
Other club players who stand out from previous years would be, Emmet McNabb, Conn Kilpatrick and Daniel Kerr.

Angelo

Quote from: GaelTheGael on August 19, 2019, 10:43:10 PM
Club Championship may well unearth a few prospects for the senior panel.
But from the U20 panel the players who would be worth a look at for 2020, that aren't still available to U20 next year: Conor Quinn, Conall Grimes and Sean Og McAleer.
Think anyone still U20 like Murnaghan, Canavan, Tiarnan Quinn, Lorcan Quinn should remain on the U20 panel for the 2020 season.
Other club players who stand out from previous years would be, Emmet McNabb, Conn Kilpatrick and Daniel Kerr.

McAleer is a prospect but I think he might need another 2/3 years to grow into his frame. Quinn looks like he's in the same boat, a big lad but needs to grow into that frame and is too light at present. U20s is a different ball game to step up to than U21s.

I'd agree on the other lads although haven't seen much of Kerr. I think Kilpatrick would have a go this year only for that bad injury in last year's club championship, I'd also have Paudie McNulty back in. I think with Cavanagh likely to go we need someone with that presence.

McNabb looks like a lovely footballer but I'd be worried about his size again, probably another born in the wrong era but no harm in giving him a chance and see how he handles it.

Other's I'd like to see get a look in would be:

- Ryan Coleman, could give us an alternative to McShane as a target man, did well for Marys in the Sigerson this year.
- Paul Donaghy, very accurate forward with a bit of presence about him.
- Nathan Donnelly, great engine and very similar to Meyler in his industry and work rate
- Michael O'Neill, again physically he looks like he might have what it takes, similarities to his club mate Cassidy who had a great year
- Eoghan Murray, might be worth a look at as I think we're not too flush with reliable man markers and had a good year with his club last term

Hopefully a few other lads can go and put themselves in contention with their clubs in the next few weeks.

OurKid 2.0

I see micky hughes got 0-5 for brocagh at the weekend in a dog fight with dregish if we have players in the county who can compete in these tight games would these players not be more suited for the county set up compared to the likes of peter harte who goes missing in big games?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: OurKid 2.0 on August 20, 2019, 04:56:50 PM
I see micky hughes got 0-5 for brocagh at the weekend in a dog fight with dregish if we have players in the county who can compete in these tight games would these players not be more suited for the county set up compared to the likes of peter harte who goes missing in big games?

Go away with that nonsense.

Moonshine

Angelo, is this the same paul donaghy that was out in boston??? If so he couldn't make the sub  connermara gaels team in boston never mind making a county team dont make me laugh