2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

I think its quite clear, If your going well in training you'll be playing if not you wont..... no matter who you are.

High Fielder

I'd say Lillis will go centre back and Begley into midfield. Lillis, in my opinion, can only play centre back. I've always liked him there even though he'd be susceptible to runners

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 08, 2018, 11:46:56 AM
God Munnelly deserves some credit for still making the side

I think we should win well on Saturday night but you can never count your chickens

Interesting to see how Liliis goes in midfield he is probably best suited to that position I hear he is flying it in training!

Looking for to seeing them in action now!
Say what you like about Lillis, and he's a fine solid performer, but a flyer he will never be.

Unison

Are some of the younger guys dropping away? Crowley, Lowry, Dowling? Pity!

OTF

Quote from: Unison on February 08, 2018, 02:36:49 PM
Are some of the younger guys dropping away? Crowley, Lowry, Dowling? Pity!

I'd say more likely others are upping their efforts, the three above will come again.

redsetanta

That's why there's a panel there.

Lowry is flying for UCD. Himself and O'Carroll were in top form for UCD yesterday. Lowry hasn't done enough and on top of Siggerson Sugrue probably felt Ross deserved his start. He might be getting older but he's well able for Div 4 football.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

No Crowley is injured at the moment. As for Dowling I'd say Sugrue didn't see enough out of him from the Limerick game to hold down a starting spot. As for Lowry , he was taken off against Leitrim and was taken off for UCD yesterday and isn't starting against Waterford so I haven't a clue what's going on there to be honest.

Unison

Quote from: redsetanta on February 08, 2018, 02:56:49 PM
That's why there's a panel there.

Lowry is flying for UCD. Himself and O'Carroll were in top form for UCD yesterday. Lowry hasn't done enough and on top of Siggerson Sugrue probably felt Ross deserved his start. He might be getting older but he's well able for Div 4 football.

Division 4 yes, but championship?

I don't deny that Ross has been an unbelievable servant to Laois. But, I was hoping Div 4 would be used to build a new team.

Laoiseabu

Yeah it's slowly starting to look like the team of old again. Be interesting to see what youngsters hold down places for championship. Strong, Timmons, Booth, Conway, Quigley , Kingston, O Connor , Buggie , have to come back and suddenly it's the same team as last year .So I don't know how long this new team business will last for.

Tony

Ah Unision, have you been paying attention - of course it's been used to build a new team! That's not to say that some older performers can't play, too. I hear Ross has been going fantastic in training and is hungry to keep playing. Why wouldn't we put him on the team. What a great attitude to have. 2018 and still going strong for Ross, what a legend he is for Laois. Still fresh enough, too. Doesn't have that electric speed that he used to have but still a great asset and a very good football brain.

"Buiding a team" doesn't just mean "throw all the older lads out and put all the new lads in". It means, slowly but surely give the newer lads good game time, build them up slowly and then over time transition accordingly. The new lads should be given time to show what they're about but not to the detrement of an "older" lad who's giving his all and can do a better job on the day.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Tony on February 08, 2018, 04:03:49 PM
Ah Unision, have you been paying attention - of course it's been used to build a new team! That's not to say that some older performers can't play, too. I hear Ross has been going fantastic in training and is hungry to keep playing. Why wouldn't we put him on the team. What a great attitude to have. 2018 and still going strong for Ross, what a legend he is for Laois. Still fresh enough, too. Doesn't have that electric speed that he used to have but still a great asset and a very good football brain.

"Buiding a team" doesn't just mean "throw all the older lads out and put all the new lads in". It means, slowly but surely give the newer lads good game time, build them up slowly and then over time transition accordingly. The new lads should be given time to show what they're about but not to the detrement of an "older" lad who's giving his all and can do a better job on the day.

Good point Tony I watched them train twice this year...Early after Westmeath 1st game and just last week.

Players are certainly being picked on form.

Lowry was flying it early but not showing as well not but he is in the middle of tough schedule and probably needs a rest ...

O'Carroll looks back to his best and really sharp which can only be a boost.

My only surprise was as I said earlier in this thread was Moore and esp young Kelly being cut I thought they looked hungry and added a lot to proceedings in the early training's and if he was going on training then they should have been more involved but to be fair to John he explained his reasons why he was leaving them out for now ...who's to say they won't be back or anyone else for that matter...

John seems open minded I think he will be open to anything down the line that could be a player in good form coming in out of the blue like happens in a lot of other counties but never here.

Its a good strong team with good subs to come in.

Another 2 points and we are in good shape for the 4 toughest games in Antrim London and Carlow and wicklow away which is never easy for Laois
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I was sick in my stomach last year when we were relegated and thought I would never enjoy going to a game again but I'm lovin' the way this year is going so far.
We have a manager who seems to be doing all the right things and the fact that we are playing in this division means he can try out young players and try new systems for us to play.

I admire his stance on the more established lads and not rushing them back into the team until he believes they are fully ready both in body and mind. That is something we couldn't afford, or maybe hadn't the courage to do till now and hopefully we will reap the rewards. Winning is a habit and a few good wins, regardless of who it's against builds confidence and trust in your teammates and manager and can only be good for us.

We need a big win Saturday to give us a good score difference and that team should be well capable of doing it...

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 08, 2018, 04:01:59 PM
Yeah it's slowly starting to look like the team of old again. Be interesting to see what youngsters hold down places for championship. Strong, Timmons, Booth, Conway, Quigley , Kingston, O Connor , Buggie , have to come back and suddenly it's the same team as last year .So I don't know how long this new team business will last for.

Read and listen to above in relation to Donie, there'll be no "have to come back" everyone has to earn their places on this team.
They may very well make it but they'll be in a lot better shape than they have been these past few years

Unlaoised

Love that picture... a lot of people including portlaoise said ohhh he is fit but too raw maybe not good enough.....

Well in my book he is a potential corner back for a long period ...I know if i was playing i'd hate to having him marking me!
LAOIS ABÚ

SCFC

Quote from: OTF on February 08, 2018, 08:09:14 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on February 08, 2018, 04:01:59 PM

Read and listen to above in relation to Donie, there'll be no "have to come back" everyone has to earn their places on this team.
They may very well make it but they'll be in a lot better shape than they have been these past few years
I think to be fair "have to come back into contention" is what was meant.
Come the championship, there's a reasonable chance that Timmons, Quigley, Strong and Donoher will be there or thereabouts.
It's good to see a few new lads getting their chance to date.
I'd expect us to beat Waterford by a big margin.