2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

What is the criteria for entering a Junior team. It looks like a lot of lads are going to miss out, and along with those culled, could we have the makings of a Junior team? I'm not sure how it works to be honest

Don Draper

Not a big criteria I'd imagine given we haven't entered one in years, and we're a Division 4 county now.

Question is, are Clubs happy to let players off to play in it. Back in the day when we had oodles of players coming out of minor and u21, the feeling was these lads were better off back with clubs rather than more county football at that grade. There might be something in it now though.

SCFC

Zilch interest in it unfortunately.
I can't imagine Mountmellick would be happy to see Coss on a junior squad if it meant he couldn't play league games with them. Same goes for Luttrell, O'Sullivan, Moore, Kelly and their clubs

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on January 24, 2018, 12:23:36 PM
Zilch interest in it unfortunately.
I can't imagine Mountmellick would be happy to see Coss on a junior squad if it meant he couldn't play league games with them. Same goes for Luttrell, O'Sullivan, Moore, Kelly and their clubs
Let them play league games though. I doubt the Junior would cause too many issues, wouldnt be major training for it, unless you got to a Leinster or All Ireland, and then, you're in a Leinster or All Ireland.

blueandwhite1

Anyone know why Forbes was cut?

He seemed to show well enough in the Westmeath games from reports.

High Fielder

Forbes, Moore, O'Sullivan, Kelly and their likes won't develop one bit in club league football. A better way needs to be found. I suggested the Junior football thing because it's better by far than discarding them. We have to find an avenue for lads who want to be in there.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on January 24, 2018, 01:03:38 PM
Forbes, Moore, O'Sullivan, Kelly and their likes won't develop one bit in club league football. A better way needs to be found. I suggested the Junior football thing because it's better by far than discarding them. We have to find an avenue for lads who want to be in there.
Cant the lads develop themselves? I imagine a query to management about what they need to work on would get a positive response. And why cant they develop in club league? Why can't they go out and rip it up? Any self respecting club player will up his game if a lad is ripping him or his side to shreds. Do we need to handhold everyone nowadays?
Back in the day Bernard Flynn (p***k), would have a bag of balls in the boot of his car to go kick about in any field he encountered. Maurice Fitz, still, to this day, goes down to St Marys twice a week to kick frees. Paidi O Se would take it upon himself to run himself into the ground below in Ceann Tra.
I'm not against the junior idea, but a bit of personal responsibility wouldn't go astray either.

High Fielder

Most counties have Junior teams. Why would we not? Of course they could develop on their own, but my preference would be to keep them involved. Go back to the club and you're largely out of the loop

Laoiseabu

Hit the nail on the head Don. If lads are good enough to improve and want to improve they will improve and put in the work. If they are not willing to do that then tough luck.

Laoiseabu

And as regards out of the loop? Well if lads are playing well for their clubs during the league( which most aren't) they are still in the eyes of the Laois setup.and if they are not able to play well for their club well they don't really deserve to be involved anyway? Be it club or county the cream will always rise to the top.

High Fielder

So why do most counties have Junior teams? For craic?

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on January 24, 2018, 01:39:38 PM
Most counties have Junior teams. Why would we not? Of course they could develop on their own, but my preference would be to keep them involved. Go back to the club and you're largely out of the loop
Quote from: High Fielder on January 24, 2018, 01:49:37 PM
So why do most counties have Junior teams? For craic?

Many don't actually. Its a dying competition in fact. Again, I would be in favour of entering it, but dont get carried away thinking its any great development opportunity. You could play one game and be out on your hole again. How involved would they be then? Also there's the cost element of it, not to be ignored.

FYI this is last years Leinster JFC, 5 counties took part.
LEINSTER JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
24th May – Meath (2-18) Kildare (1-19)
24th May – Louth (2-11) Longford (0-15)
7th June – Louth (2-11) Wicklow (0-10)
7th June – Meath (1-17) Wexford (0-10)
25th June – Meath (0-19) Louth (0-10)

Here's Munster
2017 Munster Junior Football Championship
Round                  Date   Venue   Referee   Report
SF      Cork   3-21   Waterford   0-9   27/5   Fraher Field Dungarvan   Sean Lonergan (Tipperary)   Click here
SF      Kerry   0-26   Limerick   0-6   11/6   Cusack Park Ennis   John Hannan (Clare)   Click here
Final      Kerry   4-24   Cork   3-20   27/6   Pairc Ui Rinn (AET)   Sean Lonergan (Tipperary)   Click here

This is 2018 for Connacht, where in fairness, only Roscommon seem to not enter.
Connacht GAA Junior Football Championship 2018         
Preliminary Round   Wednesday 2nd May   Mayo   Roscommon   tbc         
Semi-Final   Wednesday 9th May   Leitrim   Winner of Prelim Rd   tbc         
Semi-Final   Wednesday 9th May   Galway   Sligo   tbc         
Final   Sunday 13th May   Winner of Semi-Final 1   Winner of Semi-Final 2

Ulster haven't had one since 1986.

High Fielder

Where we are, the counties who have all passed us by have one. I can't believe it would weaken us. Financially maybe, and I accept that

Don Draper

They haven't passed us by because we don't have a Junior side. That's like saying they should have turned on the lights on the Titanic. All well and good, but it wasn't going to stop the ship from sinking.
I believe the players can still develop on their own if they are determined to. I very much believe Sugrue will have assured them of that too. If he hasn't, then they can double down and decide to f**king show him, and come back stronger.
Or they can lie down, and bitch about it down the local with their mates.

High Fielder

You started off saying a Junior team was a good idea. Now you're not so sure. You'd argue with your own shadow

I can't see what harm a Junior team would do. In my opinion, it's better than going back to a very mediocre standard of football, which is what League football in Laois is. It's hard enough to motivate lads for that, never mind doing so off the back of full commitment to Laois