Gym Monkeys and Screen- Discuss.

Started by INDIANA, September 19, 2011, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Dublin were called a bunch of gym monkeys a few weeks back. What does there all-ireland win mean now for the rest of the country and its remaining gym monkeys?

Discuss.

ross4life

These gym monkeys have become King kong

Dublin taking on all challengers in the years ahead?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

screenexile

It means we will have Club/School/Underage teams up and down the Country training at 6am and again at 7.30pm possibly training 8 times a week mostly fitness and gym sessions then a match at weekends! This will then reduce the number of 2 footed players like Gooch/the O'Se's/Galvin/Sheehan and ultimately reduce the skill level of our games.

Fair play to Dublin their players were the fittest, strongest and most committed. Neither do I blame them for doing what they had to do in order to win (unlike you after the Donegal match). I would just have preferred that the team who had the most skilfull players would win and ultimately that wasn't the case but c'est la vie and there's always next year.

Good luck to all the club players and their early starts over the next year!

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on September 19, 2011, 09:44:15 PM
It means we will have Club/School/Underage teams up and down the Country training at 6am and again at 7.30pm possibly training 8 times a week mostly fitness and gym sessions then a match at weekends! This will then reduce the number of 2 footed players like Gooch/the O'Se's/Galvin/Sheehan and ultimately reduce the skill level of our games.

Fair play to Dublin their players were the fittest, strongest and most committed. Neither do I blame them for doing what they had to do in order to win (unlike you after the Donegal match). I would just have preferred that the team who had the most skilfull players would win and ultimately that wasn't the case but c'est la vie and there's always next year.

You really are the most bitter individual I ever met. Kerry didnt win because for once their skills failed them under pressure. So your comment above is complete bollox.

imtommygunn

Indiana you took awful offense to that comment.

It wasn't a team of gym monkeys who won the all ireland. It was a well drilled, superbly fit team with players who can take a score. No amount of gym work will let you kick points like either Brogan or the likes of Nolan yesterday. Connolly also has a lot of ability and, I thought, played a very mature game yesterday holding possession very well. This didn't come through gym work.

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on September 19, 2011, 09:46:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 19, 2011, 09:44:15 PM

You really are the most bitter individual I ever met. Kerry didnt win because for once their skills failed them under pressure. So your comment above is complete bollox.

::)  ::)  ::)

We haven't met and I can assure you I am not bitter at all. Whether Dublin or Kerry won neither really matters to me. I am just sharing an opinion if you think its wrong fair enough we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway I thought you weren't going to indulge me anymore after Dublin won. Should you not be in Stephens Green or Merrion square rather than arguing something brought up over a month ago ... The fact you're still arguing the point makes it look like I have one!

Declan

Lads. Calm down. Nothing to do with Gym monkeys. Good organisation, Good planning, Good players, bit of luck on the day but as Gilroy said it was all down to the players. Enjoy the moment

GalwayBayBoy

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 19, 2011, 10:27:06 PM

Some of the derry players for next season. Must watch derry closely for these class players I'm obviously missing

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on August 03, 2011, 10:57:09 PM
Can't see dublin winning this one, Tyrone are timing their run to perfection and they are getting better with every game while Dublin have stumbled over the line in their last 2 games and they have had a break without football.

I honestly believe that Dublin don't have the natural footballers to win an All Ireland yet. . . same as Donegal and Kildare, too many gym monkeys.

Having said that if Tyrone have an off day like last year the Dubs have a slight chance but you can bet your house that Jim McGuinness is hoping for a Dublin victory. Donegal will not beat Tyrone again!!

In fairness Screenexile that post has bit you in the ass, it riled a few us at that time and payback is a bitch ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Indiana, can you not just be happy for once?
Dublin are All Ireland champions.
Relax and enjoy it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Like I said its an opinion and I was wrong ... You can win an All Ireland with a limited number of natural footballers. 5 and with a bit of luck, an excellent manager and another 15-20 lads strong, fit, hugely committed and hungry and it is possible!

sheamy

Lads, huge over reaction here. I can see the offence in the term 'gym monkeys' but let's not go OTT. Dublin were brilliant in the closing stages and are fully deserving of their All-Ireland. Their performance v Tyrone alone nearly merited one.

From my reading screen is making a point on the general state and nature of the game. The template is clear. Get 4-5 footballers and combine with a team of blockers and 'athletes' (screen's gym monkeys  :)). 10-12 men in defence and counter attack. That's currently where we are at and it's not going to change for a while.

I believe it's now up to attack minded coaches to develop systems of play, and players, to break these defences down.  Exciting times ahead I think (club football is wrecked though). In alot of ways we have a huge disjoint between the game the gaa are trying to get counties and clubs to coach youngsters and the one played at senior level. 0-6 to 0-4 is going to become alot more common in the future.

Anyway, the GAA has much bigger problems than a few extra defenders and not enough fellas kicking the ball. Fair play to the dubs and it was great to see. Some of the counter attacking football they've played this year has been sensational and it's fully deserved.

DuffleKing

Indiana - you have persistently rubbished these Dublin players and in particular the Gilroy / Whelan approach. You have coonsistently predicted their demise and ironically derided their apparent preference for brawn over "flair".
Is it not now laughable that you are positioning yourself as their leading apostle?

Discuss.

quit yo jibbajabba

aye indiana, just let it go; go enjoy yerself chap;

watched it in a pub in co derry on sunday, when the goal went in, points went over, 90% of the sizeable crowd was cheerin for yous;
just because one guy said one thing one time, dont let a hatred for all things derry be the result; derry players and fans know well where there at on the scale of things;

no-one likes an ungracious winner :P