The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

were you talking to your boss Nail ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Our Nail Loney

Sorry deel but he wasn't in today! Luxuries of being a boss. I have backed it each way anyway, and got 11/2 on it earlier.

magickingdom

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 07, 2008, 09:38:45 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 06, 2008, 08:51:01 PM
i see aob got a horse going in the Airlington Millions in the states on saturday, this is a group 1race (or equivalent), anyone think hes worth a punt or is the travelling tough? aob is 2-7 for 25 group 1 winners now

Yup its a group 1 alright. AOB doesn't have that great a record traveling over to America but this season he is in the form of his life. Mount Nelson has been put in second favourite, you can get him at 9/4 or 5/2... Archipenko is a very good horse though has won its last two races.

MN comes in on the back of winning the coral eclipse by a  short head, though it was a very poor group one by normal standards.

Only eight runners in the field though so is always worth a punt I think.

You will kick yourself MK if you dont back him and he wins!

we'll do e20 ew on him nail, i'd hate to miss out! tho i do know irish/british horses dont generally do well in america...

Our Nail Loney

Just got a text from the boss re inner voice, says lambe has told him that it will definitely place, I have abcked it in the place only market now on betfait as well as an each way bet earlier.

Our Nail Loney

Inner Voice just won there, won well too, by about four lengths...

4/1 sp i think.

Nice little earner for me lambe has been, after last night as well, perks of having a rich boss who is in with the trainers!!

Shamrock Shore

Doogie Browser

Cheers Our Nail, Fiver e/w at 9/2 paid out £38 quid.  Nive wee lift, keep em coming.

the Deel Rover

fair play nail got him at 9/2 as well happy days :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: magickingdom on August 07, 2008, 07:11:19 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 07, 2008, 09:38:45 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on August 06, 2008, 08:51:01 PM
i see aob got a horse going in the Airlington Millions in the states on saturday, this is a group 1race (or equivalent), anyone think hes worth a punt or is the travelling tough? aob is 2-7 for 25 group 1 winners now

Yup its a group 1 alright. AOB doesn't have that great a record traveling over to America but this season he is in the form of his life. Mount Nelson has been put in second favourite, you can get him at 9/4 or 5/2... Archipenko is a very good horse though has won its last two races.

MN comes in on the back of winning the coral eclipse by a  short head, though it was a very poor group one by normal standards.

Only eight runners in the field though so is always worth a punt I think.

You will kick yourself MK if you dont back him and he wins!

we'll do e20 ew on him nail, i'd hate to miss out! tho i do know irish/british horses dont generally do well in america...

Unlucky to miss out MK, finished third, heres the racing post report on the race

QuoteArlington Million (G1)
Arlington 1m2f turf

SPIRIT ONE recorded an all-the-way victory for France in the Arlington Million on Saturday night, holding on from hot favourite Archipenko and Mount Nelson to record a 1-2-3 for the visitors.

However, the 26th running of the celebrated $1 million contest ended in rancour as the runner-up's trainer Mike De Kock launched a tirade against the riding tactics of Johnny Murtagh on eventual third Mount Nelson.

The Eclipse winner's former Ballydoyle-trained stablemate Archipenko, a well-backed 6-5 market leader, was short of racing room for much of the straight, penned in on the fence before failing by three-quarters of a length to catch Spirit One, a near 14-1 shot.

"That's the most ungentlemanly piece of riding I've seen in a long time," said an angry De Kock.

"It was as if he was looking for our horse all the way round."

Murtagh has ridden regularly for the South African in the past in Dubai, notably on Asiatic Boy and Honour Devil. To add spice to the contretemps, he also rode Archipenko on his first outing for De Kock in Dubai in the spring.

"I'm very disappointed in Johnny," added De Kock.

"In my opinion, he rode his horse to keep us in rather than to actually win the race. There was no need for Johnny to keep us in like that."

Archipenko's rider Kevin Shea added fuel to the fire. "He should've won, no doubt about it," he suggested.

"Johnny hindered me the whole way round and twice pushed me into the fence.

"He had me trapped all the way around, and then when it was time to go I begged him to let me go and he wouldn't let me through."

With Spirit One out alone in front, Mount Nelson raced in second with Archipenko behind him on the rail. Although the latter seemed to be going the better of the pair turning for home, the O'Brien contender was not a spent force and was staying on under strong driving from Murtagh to take third, a length and a half behind Archipenko.

"I had a good trip," said Murtagh.

"I secured a pocket on the rail and was where I wanted to be. At the half-mile pole, I thought we were going to get there. We just couldn't get to the winner."

Spirit One may now be aimed for the Breeders' Cup. "Why not?" said trainer Philippe Demercastel.

"We'll take him home, give him time off and definitely come back to the US."

Mendizabal added: "This is a very good horse. I took the lead because I wanted to run my race and he responded very well for me. He quickened when I asked him to, so I never saw what was happening behind me."

boojangles

Marchand D'or looks a good thing today at Deauville.A top class Sprinter,going for its 4th Group 1 I believe. 11/8 at the moment.I think it was 3/1 last week.Will probably start at even money or worse.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: boojangles on August 10, 2008, 12:41:41 PM
Marchand D'or looks a good thing today at Deauville.A top class Sprinter,going for its 4th Group 1 I believe. 11/8 at the moment.I think it was 3/1 last week.Will probably start at even money or worse.

Good shout there boojangles, brilliant sprinter, beat us ranger by a head at newmarket there a while back to win the darley july cup

11/10 at the minute though not much of a price... Think I will avoid it... Going for a bit of value in that race taking jumbajukiba (14/1) each way

magickingdom

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 10, 2008, 10:56:17 AM
Unlucky to miss out MK, finished third, heres the racing post report on the race

yeah naill had e20 ew on him at 5-2, got back e30 so i lost e10. dont quite understand how they worked that amount out tho?

Our Nail Loney

Won 5/4 fav, good shout boojangles. My each way shout was nowhere, typical!

boojangles

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 10, 2008, 04:45:03 PM

Won 5/4 fav, good shout boojangles. My each way shout was nowhere, typical!

I was very very weary about taking on O Brien and Murtagh after getting nailed last week when I backed Lush Lashes but this is a different class of horse.Once it got the opening there was only gonna b one winner.Short odds but a winner is a winner.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: magickingdom on August 10, 2008, 04:31:52 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 10, 2008, 10:56:17 AM

yeah naill had e20 ew on him at 5-2, got back e30 so i lost e10. dont quite understand how they worked that amount out tho?

An each way bet is broke down into two parts...

You have the e20 on mount nelson to win at 5-2, and e20 on the horse to place at the place odds (we pay a quarter all races) so say 5-8. The win part of your bet is beat so you just have the place money. Seems like they have paid you 1/5 the odds for the place so you have your e20 on the horse to place at odds of 5-10, or 1-2.

e20 at 1-2 gives ya e30 back.

Said before you shouldn't go each way on a horse below 4-1, as if the horse places you won't even get your money back, at least on a 4-1, the place odds are gonna be even money and you will get your total stake back. This is in a shop paying a 1/4 the odds for a place. If only paying a fifth the odds then go each way on anything over 5-1