Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Sure the Brits say everything will be grand on the night......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

north_antrim_hound

Good news now we need the Duppers to bring home a no sea border and make the north the largest trading portal in Europe. Or am I getting ahead of myself
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

AQMP

Sammy Wilson's face will get redder, if that's possible

AQMP

Barnier playing bad cop again

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator has repeated that a UK decision to leave the single market and customs union would make Irish border checks "unavoidable".

Farrandeelin

If NI remains in the single market, will the SNP want the same for Scotland?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 09, 2018, 03:33:52 PM
If NI remains in the single market, will the SNP want the same for Scotland?

Is the Pope a Catholic?
Do Bears defecate in the woods?
Does Fearon wind people up?
Is Sammy Wilson a bigot?

However, we have the Irish sea on our side.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on February 09, 2018, 10:15:21 AM
The DUP want a hard Brexit. 17% cut to GDP.
Someone is funding them to support this because what they want is not good for NI.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/09/lack-of-migrant-workers-left-food-rotting-in-uk-fields-last-year-data-reveals

Fruit and vegetable farms across the UK were left short of thousands of migrant workers in 2017, leaving some produce to rot in the fields and farmers suffering big losses.

More than 4,300 vacancies went unfilled, according to new survey data from the National Farmers Union (NFU), which covers about half the horticultural labour market. The survey, seen exclusively by the Guardian, shows more than 99% of the seasonal workers recruited came from eastern Europe, with just 0.6% from the UK.

Since the vote to leave the European Union in 2016, growers have warned repeatedly of damaging labour shortages, with recruiters reporting that Brexit has created the perception among foreign workers that the UK is xenophobic and racist.

The government, which has pledged to reduce immigration, has so far rejected calls to reinstate a seasonal agricultural workers scheme (Saws). Facing uncertainty over labour, some farmers have begun moving their production overseas.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2018, 04:38:52 PM
Someone is funding them to support this because what they want is not good for NI.

Jesus ! They ain't going along with this if there wasn't coin in it for them too! Confusing their voters has worked for years while they make money of the back of previous and current money scandals! But if you put a loaf of bread on head or carry bolt cutters in your boot then resigning is the least you can do!

In all seriousness though, and I piss about on Brexit as I've got on with things that are ultimately out of my control and harping on here about won't change things, but if the their voters can't see how stupid they are then we are doomed!

I think the shiners and SDLP should all vote for a hard Brexit and start flying Israel's flag it might work!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2018, 06:48:20 PM

Jesus ! They ain't going along with this if there wasn't coin in it for them too! Confusing their voters has worked for years while they make money of the back of previous and current money scandals! But if you put a loaf of bread on head or carry bolt cutters in your boot then resigning is the least you can do!

In all seriousness though, and I piss about on Brexit as I've got on with things that are ultimately out of my control and harping on here about won't change things, but if the their voters can't see how stupid they are then we are doomed!

I think the shiners and SDLP should all vote for a hard Brexit and start flying Israel's flag it might work!
They still.remember Lundy. Brexit is a bigger betrayal.

johnneycool

TBH l don't think there's coin in it for the DUP or even their supporters, I think they are so blinded by political dogma that they are only too keen to bite their noses off to spite their faces.

Economic lunacy.....

heganboy

Very possibly political lunacy too, of maybe political suicide
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

LeoMc

Nail on head.

If Gerry Lou was to come out and say SF don't want a border poll and they don't want Stormont up and running we would have both before the year is out.

An ILA was never one of SF's original red lines but as soon as they threw their weight behind the campaign an ILA became a red line for the fleggers and then the DUP.

Smokin Joe

So what about predictions for how Brexit is going to end up?

So we KNOW that what was apparently agreed in December (no borders east / west or north / south) cannot actually happen.  Given how badly the UK has negotiated this I would guess that Barnier and co will decide the terms; and that will be that there is no border between NI and ROI, but that there will be a border between Ireland and GB.
However, I'm not quite sure how that can be squared off with NI actually still being part of the UK.

Any other predictions for what we'll be looking at in 15 months time?

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/24/jeremy-corbyn-shifts-labout-soft-brexit
"Jeremy and his people will try to play this down," says one shadow cabinet source. "He is a lifelong Eurosceptic. But it is very significant. It moves us decisively away from the Tories and away from hard Brexit. It rejects the Tory model of global Britain, under which they would spend years trying to agree trade deals across the globe. And it will sort the Northern Ireland problem out, which otherwise would be a nightmare."

Labour's latest move – urged upon Corbyn by a majority of his shadow cabinet and an increasingly rebellious group of backbenchers – is already causing political tremors across Westminster, and spreading panic in Tory ranks.

With the official opposition now in favour of a customs union, and at least a dozen Conservative rebels led by Anna Soubry suggesting they will put their names to, and vote for amendments to reach that end, there is now very likely to be a Commons majority in favour.

The power Labour MPs have, to inflict potentially devastating defeats on Theresa May by delivering cross-party parliamentary votes for a soft Brexit with Tory Europhiles, is becoming clearer by the day.

The former Labour minister and anti-Brexit MP Chris Leslie believes the political dynamics of the debate at Westminster are changing as parliament takes control and party loyalties give way to the national interest. "Hilary Benn [Labour chair of the all-party Brexit select committee] summed this up when he talked about this being a backbenchers' parliament. He is right. There is a dawning realisation about what we can achieve for this country if clusters of MPs across parties abandon tribalism and work together on smart ideas. Unquestionably, there is a parliamentary majority for a soft Brexit and as we realise what we can achieve, it whets the appetite to do more."

Labour's Brexit spokesman, Keir Starmer, has not ruled out remaining in the single market, but says doing so must be conditional on the EU agreeing to change rules on free movement of workers so that the UK can have greater control over immigration

That explains why today more than 80 senior Labour figures including 37 MPs, 12 MEPs, a string of Labour leaders in local government, trades unionists and peers (the former party leader Neil Kinnock included) have issued a statement to the Observer demanding that Corbyn does not stop at staying in a customs union, but goes a big step further and comes out in support of the UK remaining as a full participant in the EU single market.