Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

How did the lads from the Board here get on in Manchester? I seen a few from a local club to me seemed to hit a right few PBs in it.

laoislad

Quote from: square_ball on April 21, 2023, 09:05:41 AM
How did the lads from the Board here get on in Manchester? I seen a few from a local club to me seemed to hit a right few PBs in it.
Yeah great, really enjoyed it. Nice course and great support, didn't think anything could rival Dublin for support but Manchester was close. Was pretty flat but a couple of bastard hills at Mile 16 and 17 were really tough.
Got sick the week before it so ended up just going with 4hr pacer from start to finish. 3:45 was my aim in training but didn't go for it on the day as still didn't feel great and I've other Marathons in mind for this year where I can go for it.
Would definitely recommend Manchester though great Marathon and such and easy city to get around with trams etc.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Club mate did the Manchester also thought it was great, he's doing Belfast next week too the header!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CK_Redhand

I live in Manchester but didn't do the marathon. I know a few who did and it seemed to be an ideal day for it.

I just recently did my first marathon distance training run. My weekly schedule is one each of 5k, 10k, 21k and ~40k. No interest in events but it keeps me ticking over.

Milltown Row2

2 hours 1 min!! That guy was flying at the end!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

A friend in work (early 40s) reckons she'll tackle a marathon next year. Has never ran more than 5k in her life and does pretty much zero exercise at the min. I laughed at her - doable?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 23, 2023, 04:24:59 PM
A friend in work (early 40s) reckons she'll tackle a marathon next year. Has never ran more than 5k in her life and does pretty much zero exercise at the min. I laughed at her - doable?

Here's the thing, I know plenty lads who never played any sports when they were young, so, no injuries no niggles no stress on joints. They are doing triathlons and all sorts with little or no hang ups!!

If she does the program she'll do it no probs

clarshack

Anyone here know someone that has ran again after a hip replacement?

imtommygunn

Yeah there's a guy who runs the local parkrun with a hip replacement. I would more know of him than know him but he does a load of miles after it. He's 60+ and would have been elite territory back in the day.

ballinaman

Quote from: square_ball on April 21, 2023, 09:05:41 AM
:-\
Had a savage block of work done , was going to give the PB a rattle but had a tough week leading up to it. 2 year old in A&E the Wednesday before with a virus and herself was laid low. Thought I dodged it but lack of sleep and immune system depleted made for a tough day in Manchester !
Was toast after 11 miles ..hadn't checked my heart rate but was basically at maximum from mile 5  :-\

Had hoped to sign off from the marathon but alas , unfinished business now ! Hope to come back in a few years when the new baby coming is about 2.

Valencia 2025  8)

imtommygunn

Ah sorry to hear that. I only check strava now and again but you looked to have been flying. You have had your battles with the marathon but I've no doubt you will crack it!

ballinaman

Aye, that's the beauty of the marathon.Need all the stars to align. That's 3 tough days, 3 good days and one medium in the marathon for me  ;D
Enjoyed the training and the routine.
Don't think I'll do a spring one again ..the dark mornings and evenings are tough going ! Autumn marathons take the good out of the summer as well !

14 weeks for Valencia leaves ya starting last week in August . Only the month of November to get over in terms of dark training .

imtommygunn

I actually prefer training at that time of year.

Yeah I feel your pain with young kids etc - training well for me correlates to sleeping well which is a complete uncontrollable as is protecting yourself from all the bugs that come in the house!!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 24, 2023, 02:56:10 PM
I actually prefer training at that time of year.

Yeah I feel your pain with young kids etc - training well for me correlates to sleeping well which is a complete uncontrollable as is protecting yourself from all the bugs that come in the house!!
Fact . I was dusht when looking at it objectively . You can't perform on a metabolic deficit. Not even going to try for a marathon for a few years until babies are sleeping the night. The young fella is sound and that's the main thing.

Manchester is a great race , very well organised and everything handy .

imtommygunn

I knew quite a few doing Manchester who spoke very highly of it. End of day like football etc it's a hobby so health etc the main thing. Plenty more of them.

For the meantime we can just sit and be cynical about the first sub 1 hour 2nd half of a marathon  ;D (Or not be cynical and marvel at it - whatever you decide  ;D)