Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Championship
V Kildare I think
2017?

illdecide

Quote from: naka on June 27, 2023, 05:22:02 PM
Quote from: bogball88 on June 27, 2023, 04:37:22 PM
Any chance of Translink putting on another train?
A joke
The website crashed
Need the shinners to put pressure on as one train is ridiculous given it was3 lasy year for Galway game

Translink said a week ago before the fixtures that the Saturday games will have limited train service due to the volume of trains already on the track. They stated that they could and would put a lot more on for the Sunday fixture as there is less volume on the tracks on a Sunday. Unfortunately Armagh play Saturday so the 2 or 3 special trains put on is all they and Irish Rail can cater for.

That's not my opinion...just typing what i read a week ago.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2023, 05:39:23 PM
Quote from: naka on June 27, 2023, 05:22:02 PM
Quote from: bogball88 on June 27, 2023, 04:37:22 PM
Any chance of Translink putting on another train?
A joke
The website crashed
Need the shinners to put pressure on as one train is ridiculous given it was3 lasy year for Galway game

Translink said a week ago before the fixtures that the Saturday games will have limited train service due to the volume of trains already on the track. They stated that they could and would put a lot more on for the Sunday fixture as there is less volume on the tracks on a Sunday. Unfortunately Armagh play Saturday so the 2 or 3 special trains put on is all they and Irish Rail can cater for

While there were special trains to Clones years ago, nowadays they do not have the rolling stock or drivers etc to put on a load of trains.
There should have been a special train when Armagh played in Tralee for instance, but no sign of one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: square_ball on June 27, 2023, 03:53:19 PM
What if they concede a free in a scoring position but the free taker misses? Does that come into your calculations?

Of course, which is why I noted that it is unwise to read too much into individual games involving particular opponents in particular condition.

But over multiple games involving various opponents in various conditions, patterns develop that can offer insight.

The data from the couple of dozen championship games that I bothered to look at over lunch suggest that Armagh, on average, concede fewer scores from frees than almost every team left in the championship. A reasonable man might conclude that this points to a laudable degree of defensive discipline, despite whatever preconceptions exists.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 27, 2023, 05:49:22 PM
What if they concede a free in a scoring position but the free taker misses? Does that come into your calculations?

Of course, which is why I noted that it is unwise to read too much into individual games involving particular opponents in particular condition.

But over multiple games involving various opponents in various conditions, patterns develop that can offer insight.

The data from the couple of dozen championship games that I bothered to look at over lunch suggest that Armagh, on average, concede fewer scores from frees than almost every team left in the championship. A reasonable man might conclude that this points to a laudable degree of defensive discipline, despite whatever preconceptions exists.
What counts is  frees conceded at this stage and beyond. And there is only one data point.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 27, 2023, 05:49:22 PM

Those of use who follow Armagh know that there are several frees conceded (or moved up) in each game where there is no need to do so, and this number needs to be halved to make progress from here on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2023, 12:42:57 PM
Theoretically would Armagh people be happy winning if it meant Tyrone beat Kerry?

Siege mentality in a question

smelmoth

Quote from: Schkite on June 27, 2023, 12:54:25 PM
Seems to be an awful lot of confidence from the Armagh crowd that they will win, and win convincingly no less. You'd swear they had a good bit of success and were seasoned campaigners at the business end of the championship to warrant such confidence. Or even a dominant record over us in recent years.

I dunno, Monaghan are certainly in a bit of transition with alot of youth being brought through and with it being Vinny's first year in charge, but I still think we've a great chance here in a 50/50 game.

Where are you picking up on this armagh confidence that they will win an win well. Certainly Bennydorano falls into that category but not picking up anything more than that.

I sense that Monaghan are more confident against Armagh than they would have been against of the other sides they could have faced. Similarly Armagh are more confident than they would have been against Mayo. Would read nothing more into it than that

seafoid

Monaghan deserve to be at this stage and will give Armagh a serious test.

balladmaker

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 07:07:58 PM

Wouldn't expect anything less in an All Ireland Q/Final.  So long as Conor Lane lets a physical contact sport proceed as planned amongst two Ulster teams going at it, then we should have a good game. 

CK_Redhand

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2023, 05:32:46 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 27, 2023, 05:14:35 PM
When was the last time Monaghan won in Croker in the championship?
What about Armagh?
I think Monaghan were winning and about to score in Croke Park in 2013 but something happened. I'm afraid I can't remember what it was.
If you are referring to the Cavanagh pull down of McManus, you are wrong. Tyrone were winning at this stage as well as most of the rest of the match.

tonto1888

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 27, 2023, 05:14:35 PM
When was the last time Monaghan won in Croker in the championship?
What about Armagh?

2017 for both of us? On the same day. We beat Kildare and they beat down

tonto1888

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2023, 12:42:57 PM
Theoretically would Armagh people be happy winning if it meant Tyrone beat Kerry?

Don't care one way or the other. Wouldn't necessarily be unhappy tho.

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: balladmaker on June 27, 2023, 07:36:34 PM

Wouldn't expect anything less in an All Ireland Q/Final.  So long as Conor Lane lets a physical contact sport proceed as planned amongst two Ulster teams going at it, then we should have a good game.
But that just isn't going to happen now is it? This man will be stewing on the thoughts of 'North-erin teems' all week, and will be determined to set it all to rights from the very start.
It won't add to the quality of the game. 

restorepride

Deserve - yes. They will need to up their game though and turnovers v Cill Dara is a major concern. Also defence was really exposed and Ard Mhacha's physicality and height could exploit.