Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Both counties have requested the match be moved to croke park

yellowcard

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0608/1388127-armagh-and-galway-request-croke-park-switch/

This must be why the ticketing details have not been released yet. Seems a bit ridiculous to play a group game fixture in a quarter full stadium but if both counties agree to it then it could yet be switched. I think some people think that because the fixture got 40k last year that there will be a massive demand for this game but I just don't see it. Totally different circumstances this year.   

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2023, 03:27:36 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0608/1388127-armagh-and-galway-request-croke-park-switch/

This must be why the ticketing details have not been released yet. Seems a bit ridiculous to play a group game fixture in a quarter full stadium but if both counties agree to it then it could yet be switched. I think some people think that because the fixture got 40k last year that there will be a massive demand for this game but I just don't see it. Totally different circumstances this year.
That's the key point, be doing awful well to get even a quarter of the stadium filled, I can't see it anyway.

bennydorano

Warm up game / trial run in Croke Park I suppose - might as well get sone benefit out of it. Hard to see a huge crowd at 4pm on a Sunday. Armagh wans like the sesh days out so who knows. Seems more papaltable now as COS wasn't very appealing to anyone.

armaghniac

It is hard tó thínk that t pollhere would be massive demand for Croke Park, but it would still be several thousand more than Carrick on Shannon.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Only a request at this stage. Hasn't been approved yet.

That said if they have both requested it then any decision to have the game elsewhere comes under greater scrutiny.

The traffic issues looked very problematic and possibly making a farce out of have the 2 group games throw in at the same time. Could have had the situation with Tyrone or Westmeath fans with young children/elderly patrons arriving well before the Dublin/Sligo match to secure a seat in Breffni and then then having to hang around for a delayed throw in to the Tyrone/Westmeath because of traffic delays pushing back the throw in in Carrick.

There is always a risk of traffic delays and you have the decision of whether to push back throw in but they were exacerbated in this instance by the combination of fixtures. It looked like really poor planning and I wouldn't be surprised if the Gardai expressed reservations.

Hard to know what crowd it will take to Croke Park. If it is a quarter full then that that is still more than double the number that Carrick could accommodate. I fully accept that a pool stage group game is not the same as a knock out double header.

It is what it is.

Any idea of timescale for a decision?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Armagh took 4k to Omagh at the weekend. Why they think they need Croke Park is beyond me.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

There is absolutely no reason to think that this game needs to go to Croke Park.

Blowitupref

Why Croke Park? Another bigger capacity provincial ground would be more suitable.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

balladmaker

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2023, 04:08:52 PM
Páirc Uí Chaoimh is available ;D

It's on the bucket list to attend a game there, I guess we could get the chance in the 2024 league  :D

balladmaker

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 08, 2023, 04:32:47 PM
Why Croke Park? Another bigger capacity provincial ground would be more suitable.

I'd say there are commercial aspects to this as well ... if I was an advertiser in Croke Park, or a Premium ticket holder, I'd need to be getting a good few games at the venue to justify the investment.

I'd say this game would pull 20k max to Croke Park, and that could be a stretch.

screenexile

Westmeath Tyrone in Clones and Galway Armagh in Cavan?

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on June 08, 2023, 05:15:13 PM
Westmeath Tyrone in Clones and Galway Armagh in Cavan?

Westmeath-Tyrone in Carrick on Shannon. It will not be crowded and in a different province and the Westmeath people can go on the train.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B